Sign in to follow this  
PhantomFO

Will the new FAQ bring Soontir out of hiding?

8 minutes ago, Zazaa said:

I doubt that! As long as there will be any bombs or turrets around there will be no space for Soontir Fel. 

This is absolutely incorrect.  Fel can take a ton of turrets thanks to a token stack and Autothrusters, and a single crummy action bomber is not a difficulty to avoid.  

5 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

This is absolutely incorrect.  Fel can take a ton of turrets thanks to a token stack and Autothrusters, and a single crummy action bomber is not a difficulty to avoid.  

Well what's the issue here then?

Even if it was stacked up with all his tokens it fell apart after Palpatine was nerfed, so obviously it didn't do that well with all those tokens or avoiding bombs. 

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see more Aces on table!!

Edited by Zazaa

Just now, Zazaa said:

Well what's the issue here then?

Even if it was stacked up with all his tokens it fell apart after Palpatine was nerfed, so obviously it didn't do that well with all those tokens or avoiding bombs. 

I think players were set on him being the endgame winning ship, invulnerable to damage thanks to Palp support, so any threat was reason to take him out of the meta.  On top of that, PS9 Scum with easy to access token stacks through Mindlink, big base blockers, and huge bids all worked against him.  

As an Ace + support, I think maybe he's still not terrific.  As one part if a 3-ship list, he's very solid, but not a lot of people are used to running him without the Palp safety blanket.

1 hour ago, Marinealver said:

I think the new FAQ makes me want to burn my cards. This is just like Hearthstone. Time to move on to a new game.

At this point there now is no argument why FFG should not change point values on everything. Mayber even move B-wing E2 to title instead of modification.

I'm still missing a bunch of cards to rebuild my stolen collection- instead of burning them, send me your stuff.

16 minutes ago, Kaptin Krunch said:

I'm still missing a bunch of cards to rebuild my stolen collection- instead of burning them, send me your stuff.

I might, do you got Armada stuff to trade?

Well for now my collection is in storage, so I can't trade them yet. I think my break of X-wing is going to be a bit longer than planned. FFG has really been pissing me off with their 180 stance on erratas caving into the pressure of the "competitive" scene. Seriously I think professional gaming sucks the fun and enjoyment out of gaming and replace it with greed and avarice. That is what happen to video games now that there is so much money and microtransactiosn in them. Well looks like this is what happening to table top as well. It is like being a chess player in the wild west, where the only accepted games are poker and gunfights.

Edited by Marinealver

16 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

You've still got a lot of tools, and there are still a ton of cowards out there that won't run him without pre-nerf Palpatine.

Oof, that was subtle :) I've been flying targeting computer Fel more over the last few weeks and he's been doing good work. Triple Interceptors is still my favorite list because INTERCEPTORS!

No...

His problem is he is generally 3x unmodified attack dice and you are paying way to much for that.... Sure he is hard to hit but he has garbage offence, this was a problem with him for a very long time and part of the reason he fell out of favor.

Soontir stayed on tables far longer then he should have based on his offence... soontir is and always was a giant pile of points for a ship that fires wet noodles at his targets. The only way you will see him come back is if the Targeting computer varient sees play but really just take a tie SF for those points and be happier.

39 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

You've still got a lot of tools, and there are still a ton of cowards out there that won't run him without pre-nerf Palpatine.

True, but I'm still tired of a Stealth Soontir zipping about the board almost untouchable....unless you have one of those tools.  Yes, easier than before, but still annoying.

33 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

Well for now my collection is in storage, so I can't trade them yet. I think my break of X-wing is going to be a bit longer than planned. FFG has really been pissing me off with their 180 stance on erratas caving into the pressure of the "competitive" scene. Seriously I think professional gaming sucks the fun and enjoyment out of gaming and replace it with greed and avarice. That is what happen to video games now that there is so much money and microtransactiosn in them. Well looks like this is what happening to table top as well. It is like being a chess player in the wild west, where the only accepted games are poker and gunfights.

Good thing X-Wing tournaments are far from professional and no prize money is involved, then. I do actually agree that hard errata was a Pandora's Box, but we're beyond that point now: it's a thing that X-Wing's designers will do, so we may as well use it to make necessary changes like these. Aside from the Mindlink change being lazy and causing incidental list casualties, and ASLAM being devoid of logic (seperate issue) there is nothing in this latest series of errata that is bad for the game at all.
Wanting the game to be better balanced and not dominated by a very limited set of builds is hardly 'greed and avarice'. And you hardly do yourself any favours by throwing a temper tantrum amid the discussion, rather than trying to defend your position with any form of actual argument.
Sell your collection if you like, but don't be surprised if nobody cares.

43 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

There is no part of casual play that makes you have to use the FAQ...

47 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

How long has it been since you played? I know you've been gone from Thursdays for a while.

If it's been months since you played regularly, then you really have no idea how badly these changes were needed. Things were getting pretty "not fun," especially if you were a casual player against folks prepping for a tourney.

rac with kylo and Fel is very potent right now, especially in team play where you have more control over matchups. It went 4-1 for the SNV podcast team recently in Evergreen Cup and was absolutely brutal against two ship bombing lists (aint gonna lie, 100-0ing Miranda Dash and Miranda Nym feels really nice).

Nah, for a couple reasons: 1. He can still be one-shot in the activation phase by EI Clusters or Sabine'd Bomblets (carried by PS10 AS Nym), and 2. Kylo is just the better option (more health, more maneuverability, more consistent offense...). I think the risk vs. reward is still too high on Fel for him to be making a huge comeback. Don't get me wrong, Soontir is much better in the post-FAQ meta, but he's still very risky to bring.

Kylo on the other hand...

Edited by defkhan1

I'm still mind boggled that he ever left.

Yea bombs are scary, but he's still borderline OP against pretty much everything else.

I thought before the nerf today that imps were the hardest faction to beat currently.  After the nerf I'm even more confident in that belief.