Jump to content
LordBlunt

Percentage of players who will be/are ‘Tournament Players’

Recommended Posts

Basically, how many of us are planning to become or are solely tournament players? 

On the other hand, how many of us are casual, or group players who game with friends? (I’m in this group) 

Your thoughts, guesses and comments are appreciated. ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, LordBlunt said:

Basically, how many of us are planning to become or are solely tournament players? 

On the other hand, how many of us are casual, or group players who game with friends? (I’m in this group) 

Your thoughts, guesses and comments are appreciated. ?

I don't know that many people are "Solely tournament players".  But I think most of the people who post on here are probably tournament players.  Casual players tend to not have as strong opinions about everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Competitive vs non-competitive is probably a better term. Casual players play at home and make handshake agreements not to play OP stuff. Competitive players go to local stores and change their decks based on the meta. I'm pretty firmly on the competitive side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see myself opting more for non-competitive this time around.  My reason is primarily not wanting to engage in all the research and meta mining necessary to be a successful competitive player.  I am currently more of a board game and miniatures enthusiast than in past iterations of L5R.

BTW, this site I define as catering to a less competitive crowd compared to discord.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kiramode said:

Competitive vs non-competitive is probably a better term. Casual players play at home and make handshake agreements not to play OP stuff. Competitive players go to local stores and change their decks based on the meta. I'm pretty firmly on the competitive side. 

QFT

And I'm better off for it.  I hate learning from mistakes and learning through losing, but, I love L5R and I'm more than willing to get my teeth kicked in over an over by kiramode to make sure that I am as prepared as possible should a major tournament take place close enough for me to attend.

The real question is will he tire of kicking me?  I'm sure at some point if I don't step my game up he'll move on to a more competitive group...........but then he'll miss out on my secret hot garbage unicorn tech...............all part of my master plan.  Sandbag games and learn from better players then feign incompetence so I can practice awesome stuff in secret................muwahahahahaha!  :P

Edited by Ishi Tonu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Ishi Tonu said:

QFT

And I'm better off for it.  I hate learning from mistakes and learning through losing, but, I love L5R and I'm more than willing to get my teeth kicked in over an over by kiramode to make sure that I am as prepared as possible should a major tournament take place close enough for me to attend.

The real question is will he tire of kicking me?  I'm sure at some point if I don't step my game up he'll move on to a more competitive group...........but then he'll miss out on my secret hot garbage unicorn tech...............all part of my master plan.  Sandbag games and learn from better players then feign incompetence so I can practice awesome stuff in secret................muwahahahahaha!  :P

Everyone loses. I got smoked by a Dragon Hatamoto like a month ago 5-0 that he will hold over me forever......then I came back and beat him last week. Now it's up to him to return the favor. Gotta adapt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LordBlunt said:

Basically, how many of us are planning to become or are solely tournament players? 

On the other hand, how many of us are casual, or group players who game with friends? (I’m in this group) 

Your thoughts, guesses and comments are appreciated. ?

****, at this point, since I can't find a single opponent in Montana, I'm a casual player at best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, kiramode said:

Competitive vs non-competitive is probably a better term. Casual players play at home and make handshake agreements not to play OP stuff. Competitive players go to local stores and change their decks based on the meta. I'm pretty firmly on the competitive side. 

I'm really surprised to discover I might count as Competitive?? I feel pretty casual, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy having some structure to get games?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think really there could be 3 categories of people:

1) Won't do Tournaments at all

2) Will do tournaments locally/when convenient (Ex, If you are already going to GenCon and decide to do an L5R thing there, I feel like you might fall in this category)

3) Will travel to do tournaments.

And then there is distance you are willing to travel for a tournament.  I personally think if I can find any Kotei within about 6 hours of me, I'll probably do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Hmm, what's funny is overall I would probably not consider myself all that competitive, but I do want to get to a kotei or two. I suppose I'm in the middle category, even if the gen con grand kotei more or less fills my schedule. 

Maybe I'm just wannabe competitive? I want to be, I'm just not very good. :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm happy to do casual play nights when I can, or play with friends. I'll drive a short distance to tournaments for the promo cards and to get more games in, but you'll probably never see me at a kotei. I lose focus after a couple of games, and the cost of entry fees and travel isn't worth it to me. Plus I don't like big crowds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Zesu Shadaban said:

 Hmm, what's funny is overall I would probably not consider myself all that competitive, but I do want to get to a kotei or two. I suppose I'm in the middle category, even if the gen con grand kotei more or less fills my schedule. 

Maybe I'm just wannabe competitive? I want to be, I'm just not very good. :lol:

Blatant copy that answer. I'll try to pariticipate at the german Kotei in Düsseldorf in May, but anything else is pretty much undoable be it for time or financial reasons. I would love to visit the UK based tournaments, but no chance. Maybe something in France...

I'll stick to store tournaments in comfortable driving distance and hope to get enough practice here and there to not embarass myself at the Kotei.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ersatz Nihilist said:

I'm never going to tournaments with this game - rounds take a while to play and this game absolutely keeps you in a heightened state of engagement the entire time. It's exhausting.

Yeah, I'm also going to be pretty strictly a casual player.  Though, I may participate in store tournaments occasionally, just because they're nearby and still tend to be a little more relaxed.  I have no intention of going to Koteis this time around, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/26/2017 at 8:15 AM, Mirith said:

I think really there could be 3 categories of people:

1) Won't do Tournaments at all

2) Will do tournaments locally/when convenient (Ex, If you are already going to GenCon and decide to do an L5R thing there, I feel like you might fall in this category)

3) Will travel to do tournaments.

And then there is distance you are willing to travel for a tournament.  I personally think if I can find any Kotei within about 6 hours of me, I'll probably do it.

#2 for me. I enjoy being together w other players, but my life is crazy busy so I really can't go too far out of my way. That and being a new player, I'm content playing even just w 1 core set, and so far loving it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah definitely #2.

I'll likely be at PAX Unplugged. Absolutely no delusions of grandeur. Just want to contribute and meet others in the community.

And wife wants to watch the PA guys play D&D :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...