Kaito Kikaze

Fantasy Flight Interactive - Rokugan Meets Digital?

For anyone who hasn't heard the news yet, Asmodee and FFG announced they are partnering on a digital games company called Fantasy Flight Interactive (which will apparently be based out of Wisconsin). So any thoughts on how they might flex this new platform for spreading the goodness that is Rokugan? Speculation on a digital version of L5R: the card game (an official version)?

I hope a game themed in Rokugan, like  a rts or turn based would be cool. Think Total war series, Civiliazation, mount and blade or any game where they attempt politics would be amazing. A digital card game to me would be lack luster to me. I feel they take away from store fronts a bit.

Edited by Spawnod

51 minutes ago, Zesu Shadaban said:

For anyone who hasn't heard the news yet, Asmodee and FFG announced they are partnering on a digital games company called Fantasy Flight Interactive (which will apparently be based out of Wisconsin). So any thoughts on how they might flex this new platform for spreading the goodness that is Rokugan? Speculation on a digital version of L5R: the card game (an official version)?

Question would be when is this going to be unveiled? Meaning when can we get our hands on it, through beta testing (?) or similar? 

http://pressreleases.triplepointpr.com/2017/10/24/fantasy-flight-interactive-studio-formed-to-bring-fantasy-flights-tabletop-properties-to-the-digital-realm/

"Fantasy Flight Games will continue to develop hybrid digital board games, while Fantasy Flight Interactive focuses on more expansive video game projects. Fans can anticipate richly strategic experiences with easy-to-understand UI, built from the ground up for Steam. "

I.e , no digital ports. I'm still a turn based fan for video games, so we shall hope and wait and see. 

Now that I think about it, mono no aware actually lends itself well to an mmorpg. It would certainly help explain why the players are amazing heroes one day, saving an entire province from an oni invasion, and the next a wandering hobo strolling into a new town killing off wolves and collecting their tails. Lol. 

1 minute ago, fyrm said:

Now that I think about it, mono no aware actually lends itself well to an mmorpg. It would certainly help explain why the players are amazing heroes one day, saving an entire province from an oni invasion, and the next a wandering hobo strolling into a new town killing off wolves and collecting their tails. Lol. 

Trying to make some sort of sense as to why an actual person would act the way they would in an MMO is like arguing on the internet...

I would like to see something similar to Crusader Kings 2 for L5R.  I think the system would lend itself well and gives players an opportunity to play in a family at various levels of power.

An RPG could be cool if you wanted focus more on the individual combat level. I wouldn't mind a Total War series.

2 hours ago, GmanSix said:

Can you imagine an L5R spin on something like FFTactics?  I would eat that up in an instant!

A man risks a long fall if he sets his sights that high.

By which I mean...I need this.

12 hours ago, Spawnod said:

I hope a game themed in Rokugan, like  a rts or turn based would be cool. Think Total war series, Civiliazation, mount and blade or any game where they attempt politics would be amazing. A digital card game to me would be lack luster to me. I feel they take away from store fronts a bit.

I could totally go for Rokugan:  Total War.

2 hours ago, Mirith said:

Trying to make some sort of sense as to why an actual person would act the way they would in an MMO is like arguing on the internet...

You mean it's not normal to run around everywhere, talking to any random person you meet in hopes they have a job for you, and spending half a day killing random things to collect their skins/blood/body parts and sell to people you barely even know? 

16 minutes ago, Zesu Shadaban said:

You mean it's not normal to run around everywhere, talking to any random person you meet in hopes they have a job for you, and spending half a day killing random things to collect their skins/blood/body parts and sell to people you barely even know? 

And only eat food when you are low on health, and never sleep, talking to the same person repetitively gives you the same response every time (And they keep doing it!), and can carry ever bit of armor you've ever found without any extra effort.

4 hours ago, GmanSix said:

Can you imagine an L5R spin on something like FFTactics?  I would eat that up in an instant!

2 hours ago, caseycheesecake said:

Well considering that's one of the top-3 games of all time, I'd agree.

While I will only agree that the original game was of such quality, I imagine if such a game were reimagined for Rokugan it would feel a lot more like FF Tactics Advance, with Emerald Magistrates declaring, "Foul! You can't use that ability here! Lose 5 honor, you shameless cur!"

3 hours ago, GmanSix said:

The original is amazing.  I didn't care for the DS version.

The only downside was that I was only able to defeat the 1v1 battles as a mage of some kind. Want to be an archer/geomancer/lancer/etc? Forget it.

And yes the DS version was lame.

Edited by caseycheesecake