This is probably a precursor to the App annoucement.

I am however a little disappointed. Especially if this completely takes away the Imperial GM role, something I enjoy. I don't necessarily play to win, I play to give the others a good challenge. Most games have gone down to the last turn where it still could have gobe either way. The App is unlikely to adapt as well. That said, I'm not against it, I just don't want to be permanently replaced with any newer campaigns that may come along.

You beat me to it! The fact that there a whole new development team for digital products surely means there's an upcoming increase in quality. FFG's apps are already pretty stellar, and Elder Sign is the only app game I've ever enjoyed enough to not uninstall within a couple hours. 

I just hope it means the work on the app isn't now starting...

1 hour ago, Gallanteer said:

This is probably a precursor to the App annoucement.

I am however a little disappointed. Especially if this completely takes away the Imperial GM role, something I enjoy. I don't necessarily play to win, I play to give the others a good challenge. Most games have gone down to the last turn where it still could have gobe either way. The App is unlikely to adapt as well. That said, I'm not against it, I just don't want to be permanently replaced with any newer campaigns that may come along.

I absolutely, 100%, completely hope the app allows you to replace the Imperial player for fully cooperative play. The existing system is great, and the app won't replace it, but that kind of play doesn't gel with my group. 

Personally, I want all existing campaigns and quests to be ported to the app, and then a physical/digital expansion that allows for the reveal-tiles-as-you-go kind of play found in the Descent app.

FYI, the Descent doesn't actually replace the overlord player, it instead introduced new missions that changed how the game works so it doesn't actually require an overlord player. The Descent app can't and won't ever replace the overlord player in the actual missions that came with the game. 

There's a subtle distinction, but for example all the upgrade cards that the overlord player uses in Descent, similar to class and agenda cards in IA, are done away with and replaced by random mission events and the monsters getting random boosts each turn. The missions themselves are structured so that the bad guys don't need to use any complex strategies, they mostly just rush at the nearest unwounded hero to try and kill them. 

So no, the IA app, if it is meant to be in the same style as the Descent app, isn't meant to replace the Imperial player, it's meant to introduce a new gametype that allows everyone to play missions together cooperatively without the need for an Imperial player. If the IA app is the same as the Descent one, you won't actually be able to use it with any of the missions that came with the game and expansions, it will only use its own missions designed specifically for the app. 

Edited by Tvboy

23 minutes ago, TallGiraffe said:

So do you have to keep track of the heroes positions on the ap on the map?

@Tvboy

Nope, not in the descent app, and the app doesn't track the monsters locations either except for where they're deployed. but you do tell it which heroes are wounded and which heroes have activated and when monsters are defeated and when you interact with things in the map like doors or chests or objectives. It also uses a game mechanic similar to campaign missions in the Echo Base Troopers and ISB enforcers packs where map tiles behind doors are hidden until you reveal them.

Edited by Tvboy

The article said they are developing exclusively for Steam, so my guess I'd that these will be digital counterparts to the existing titles and have nothing to do with the apps.

Edited by rbaker1978

4 hours ago, rbaker1978 said:

The article said they are developing exclusively for Steam, so my guess I'd that these will be digital counterparts to the existing titles and have nothing to do with the apps.

Agreed. It sounds to me like more of this kind of thing than anything involving the physical games. The app / physical game crossovers will be a separate thing to this, AFAICT.

And, of course, they can't develop stand alone games for their single biggest IP (Star Wars) because EA would drop a Super Star Destroyer worth of cease and desist orders the second they considered it.

Edit - I say "can't" - I really mean "can't without coming to some pre-agreement with EA and Disney who may not want to muddle the waters of Star Wars video-gaming with multiple releases"

Edited by Suhawk75

2 hours ago, Suhawk75 said:

And, of course, they can't develop stand alone games for their single biggest IP (Star Wars) because EA would drop a Super Star Destroyer worth of cease and desist orders the second they considered it.

Edit - I say "can't" - I really mean "can't without coming to some pre-agreement with EA and Disney who may not want to muddle the waters of Star Wars video-gaming with multiple releases"

The whole thing is a bit concerning really.

1. Video games will ultimately give FFG a bigger GP than having to make and ship cardboard and plastic all over the place, so why bother? The only thing stoppping them is the love of playing tabletop games, but the mighty dollar may eventually win or at least mean a massive shift in focus.

2. I have no problems with apps alongside board games as long as they fit with the flow. Take Mansions of Madness. The app works really well but it does seem to slow the pace of the game down when the players are getting a bit of momentum, to mess around with the app and keep it up to date with the current game.

3. I do not want every single game to be app dependent. With the shiny new company, they may be tempted to shoehorn it into everything. See point 2.

In summary Apps are OK if, and only if, they do something a human player can't or adds a new dimension and doesn't kill the moment when you need to use the app by destroying the player engagement and momentum of the game itself.

As I stated first, its a bit of a concern. Plus Lucasfilm might pull the plug if they start drifting too far into digital apps.

And I'm a long term software developer, video gamer and tabletop gamer.

Edited by Gallanteer

Hey, maybe they'll wrestle the Star Wars IP away from EA.  I can dream, right?

Honestly, as long as FFG keeps chugging along with the games we love, I think this can be great.  Video games these days have such an obnoxious focus on online multiplayer "games as a service" style that I think we lose a lot of what used to make games great- having fun in a virtual world with your friends right next to you on the couch.

If anyone would understand the importance of a more personal interaction (with solo options) it'd be a boardgame company like FFG.

3 hours ago, Gallanteer said:

1. Video games will ultimately give FFG a bigger GP than having to make and ship cardboard and plastic all over the place, so why bother? The only thing stoppping them is the love of playing tabletop games, but the mighty dollar may eventually win or at least mean a massive shift in focus.

Not so. Video games is an entierly different business and market: FFG would have to become a completely new business if they were to switch to video games, and they would forsake the market they have so epicly dominated for the last few decades. It would be like a bicycle manufacturer starting to produce cars; they would have to begin afresh establishing themselves in the new market while at the same time dropping the costumer base they've spent so much time, effort, and money establishing.

At "worst", FFG will branch out to do some smaller video things as well but more likely they will concentrate on making digital resources and side-games for their more established brands and games.

..my 2 credits

19 hours ago, Tvboy said:

FYI, the Descent doesn't actually replace the overlord player, it instead introduced new missions that changed how the game works so it doesn't actually require an overlord player. The Descent app can't and won't ever replace the overlord player in the actual missions that came with the game. 

There's a subtle distinction, but for example all the upgrade cards that the overlord player uses in Descent, similar to class and agenda cards in IA, are done away with and replaced by random mission events and the monsters getting random boosts each turn. The missions themselves are structured so that the bad guys don't need to use any complex strategies, they mostly just rush at the nearest unwounded hero to try and kill them. 

So no, the IA app, if it is meant to be in the same style as the Descent app, isn't meant to replace the Imperial player, it's meant to introduce a new gametype that allows everyone to play missions together cooperatively without the need for an Imperial player. If the IA app is the same as the Descent one, you won't actually be able to use it with any of the missions that came with the game and expansions, it will only use its own missions designed specifically for the app. 

The Descent App gives some really cool reveal-as-you-go gameplay, and I'm sure that's the priority for FFG's app development team... 

but I would absolutely love if they transcribed all of the campaign missions and side missions into the App for a fully cooperative, Rebel-players-only experience.  At least all the side missions and the Core campaign.

15 hours ago, Arttemis said:

The Descent App gives some really cool reveal-as-you-go gameplay, and I'm sure that's the priority for FFG's app development team... 

but I would absolutely love if they transcribed all of the campaign missions and side missions into the App for a fully cooperative, Rebel-players-only experience.  At least all the side missions and the Core campaign.

I doubt this would work. It's much easier to balance a mission when it's designed as a co-op from the start. Also, I expect the missions to be reveal-as-you-go, which would also change those core set missions in an unfair way. 

-ryanjamal