kaosoe

Touch of Magic Article

7 hours ago, Forgottenlore said:

Frequently magic systems are divided into 2 elements, the skill needed to cast the spell and the power needed to fuel it. It is relatively easy to explain the power half being derived from brawn, but I’m having trouble seeing a rational for the skill aspect to be based there. Even an atheletc style of casting, such as dance, I would expect to be based on Agility rather than Brawn. What is it that the character does that determines whether he successfully cast a spell that is principly based on brawn? Reps? To cast fireball do a dozen push ups; teleport, 50 jumping jacks?

Thinking about what you just read, this one came to mind - think isometrics - so the magic is based on how hard you can tense your muscles, the more effective you can effectively use your strength against itself is what the skill is - anyone can lift something heavy - but the skill in superclenching the right musclegroups to balance another is a the skill, and the stronger you are the more muscles you can use that way. And the wound cost is the damage you get from forcing the magical power through those muscles.

A bodybuilder posing version of "ninja finger magic"

41 minutes ago, Lordmhoram said:

Thinking about what you just read, this one came to mind - think isometrics - so the magic is based on how hard you can tense your muscles, the more effective you can effectively use your strength against itself is what the skill is - anyone can lift something heavy - but the skill in superclenching the right musclegroups to balance another is a the skill, and the stronger you are the more muscles you can use that way. And the wound cost is the damage you get from forcing the magical power through those muscles.

A bodybuilder posing version of "ninja finger magic"

I can imagine such a spell. The caster going "Hrmffp gmmmpf mmmm brrrmmfp --- FIREBALL" ?

Psionic and bionics look to me like Arcana, but I think Arcana is much more than "studying in a library".

For me Arcana (Int) represent: a high level of the mind use, which can be got by abnormal brain evolution, study or focus. You literally can create things based on your creativity and focus.
Exemples: Harry Potter from Harry Potter, a psionic cybersoldier from X-Com, Neo from Matrix or a protoss from Star Craft.

Now, let's see how the other "schools" can work:

Divine (Will): any kind of divinity giving power to you (either by praying or by having divine blood) or a very strong believe.
Examples: Tyrael from Diablo, Kratos from God of War or Eli in The Book of Eli.

Primal (Cun): any kind of power gotten from ancient creatures or spirits, from the Mother Nature or inner primordial instincts and fury.
Examples: sorcerers with their bloodlines, a druid or a barbarian.

Runes (Int): i guess it's the ability to "read" objects and steal their power or to give live to them.
Examples: a dwarf runecaster or a technomancer or superhacker.

Verse (Pr): the ability to use the right words and ritm to create what you want and any power from the beauty and charisma. Your words has the power.
Examples: bards, spellsingers, mermaids, nymphs, etc.

Edited by Bellyon

Excuse me, but I really have to butt in for a moment:

On 1.11.2017 at 2:18 PM, DarthDude said:

bionics

On 1.11.2017 at 2:59 PM, -Loki- said:

bionics

Misused word. (Those are artificial body parts.)

On 1.11.2017 at 3:01 PM, Blackbird888 said:

biotics

On 1.11.2017 at 4:39 PM, Silverfox13 said:

Biotics

Correct term. (Well, technically biotic powers is.)

7 minutes ago, twincast said:

Had been late but yes, I had biotis in mind and no augmentation.

On 10/24/2017 at 11:58 AM, KrisWall said:

I really like the idea that I can basically create my own spells by stacking keywords.  I could see building a few favorites ahead of time as a part of character building. 

This.  I'd love to see something akin to crafting in Star Wars where magic-users can "craft" spells, gaining some sort of bonus (like Boost dice) for every characteristic they set, and make some roll to formalize the spell.  Like the "fireball" spell from the article: choose the base action (whatever that ranged attack uses), add the Burn and Blast keywords, make a crafting roll, and if you succeed, you get a bonus when you cast your Fireball spell.

23 minutes ago, Enoch52 said:

This.  I'd love to see something akin to crafting in Star Wars where magic-users can "craft" spells, gaining some sort of bonus (like Boost dice) for every characteristic they set, and make some roll to formalize the spell.  Like the "fireball" spell from the article: choose the base action (whatever that ranged attack uses), add the Burn and Blast keywords, make a crafting roll, and if you succeed, you get a bonus when you cast your Fireball spell.

Perhaps each caster learns a base spell (power), via experience, such as a ranged attack power (lets call it BOLT). Additionally the caster has used XP to purchase qualities such as Burn and Blast. BOLT has a base Dif 2 and each quality adds 1 diff. The caster can cast any base spell he knows with any combination of qualities that he knows. Therefore the caster casts Bolt with Burn and Blast attached resulting in a difficulty of 4 to cast. Its on the fly magic. Perhaps if he practices a spell/quality combination enough (writes the specific combo on his character sheet and calls it FIREBALL) then he gets a BOOST to cast FIREBALL since it is now a rote. In this example, the special effect of BOLT will have to be in line with nature of the casters magic. if the caster is DRUID then the manifestation of this power/quality combination would have to be nature or animal based such as summoning a swarm of insects to attack the target.

On 02/11/2017 at 8:24 PM, twincast said:

Whilst your probably right in this specific context I think bionics will be a potential source of ‘magic’ in the right game world. A bionic eye might allow long range vision in the same way as an ‘eagle sight’ spell (just made that up...) or psionic clairvoyance. I expect Powers are any kind of special ability that isn’t passive or always-on.