DragoonKainKatarn

Adrenaline Rush with SLAM

16 posts in this topic

latest?cb=20130823001815

If a Rho Squadron Veteran equips Adrenaline Rush, then they treat their 4 Straight as white.

But you're treating "that" maneuver as a white maneuver. Does "that" maneuver refer to 4 Red Straights? Does that mean that if the Rho Squadron Pilot SLAMS for a 2nd 4 Straight, it would treat the 2nd 4 Straight as white as well? Does that mean I can 9s straight and Cruise Missile my opponent turn 1?

The only reason I'd say that Adrenaline Rush would treat the second 4 straight as white is because the upgrade card includes the text: "until the end of the Activation phase." If this portion of the text was not there then I would say it is particular to "that" maneuver revealed and selecting a second maneuver to perform in addition to "that" maneuver would not carry over. However Adrenaline Rush does indeed say "until the end of the Activation phase" which should mean that you can do as many 4 forwards as you legally can perform during this round and they would all be white.

Having played STAW where it is possible to cross the table and plaster an opponent with ordinance round 1, this could be unpleasant/unfun. Though, it would appear, completely legal.

Thank you for posting an image of the upgrade card in question.

JJ48, Stoneface, joeshmoe554 and 1 other like this

6 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Erm.

I can't see any problem with that.

Good catch I like it.

Adrenaline Rush might finally have a use XD

It has a use, although limited - It rocks on Tomax Bren pulling 5Ks every turn and using Cruise Missiles. Not gonna win tournaments with it, but it's stupidly fun to fly in casual.

Stoneface and Dr Zoidberg like this

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say that it's likely to only apply to the "revealed" maneuver, not subsequent maneuvers. If I were a betting man, that's where I'd put my money for now. :) 

We'll just wait and see if anyone decides to ask FFG for a ruling.

1 hour ago, Parravon said:

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say that it's likely to only apply to the "revealed" maneuver, not subsequent maneuvers. If I were a betting man, that's where I'd put my money for now. :) 

If your slam maneuver is the same as your "revealed maneuver" that should satisfy the condition on the card.

3 hours ago, Slugrage said:

It has a use, although limited - It rocks on Tomax Bren pulling 5Ks every turn and using Cruise Missiles. Not gonna win tournaments with it, but it's stupidly fun to fly in casual.

Oooh, I am going to have to try me that some time!

Stoneface likes this

11 hours ago, Parravon said:

The SLAM maneuver is the same as the revealed maneuver, as they're both Red Straight 4s.

I can see that. I'm just thinking it's gonna turn out to be just the single revealed maneuver, not every maneuver after that happens to be the same as the first. 

4 minutes ago, Parravon said:

I can see that. I'm just thinking it's gonna turn out to be just the single revealed maneuver, not every maneuver after that happens to be the same as the first. 

Why would it be that when it's not written like that though?
FFG tend to go with RAW rather than RAI a lot of the time too.

1 hour ago, Parravon said:

With that card text as written: you reveal a red 4 straight, throw out Adrenaline Rush and treat "that maneuver" (the red 4 straight maneuver) as white until the end of the Activation phase. This means if you can do a second red 4 straight maneuver in the same activation phase, such as with a SLAM action, you will also treat it as a white maneuver.

They would have to errata Adrenaline Rush to replace the text "until the end of the Activation phase" with "until you complete your maneuver this activation." If they just completely delete the "until the end of the Activation phase" text then it opens the arena up for the argument that, because I threw out Adrenaline Rush to treat "that maneuver" (the red 4 straight maneuver) as a white maneuver, I get to treat "that maneuver" as white for the remainder of the game - which I suspect is the whole reason this phrase even appears on the card in the first place.

As this is a one-shot-wonder and, unless your whole squadron could pull it off in the same round, will leave your ship alone and exposed to your enemy's squadron I highly doubt FFG will care enough to errata Adrenaline Rush. At best you can do this with 1 ship at PS7 and the current meta affords for that ship to get wrecked before it even gets a chance to attack - trying to do it with a squad of Rho Squadron Pilots at PS4 (you'd be able to squeeze 3 in for turn 1 cruise missiles) you're not likely to have all 3 still alive when PS4 activates during the combat phase. In short: hilarious gimmick but entirely tactically unsound - this combination of cards is a trap. All it takes to defeat this Round 1 Alpha of Alpha strikes is for your opponent's NymDoni, Denym, or NymRey PS8+ squad to not set up directly across the table from you and, if they do, Miranda and/or Nym are closing to Range 1/moving behind you to bomb your ships instead of you getting 3 sets of 5 dice Cruise Missiles off. 

(In general I consider this entire ship a trap: FFG desperately trying to give the fans what they want, but making it so niche practically zero top tier lists will feature it.)

Edited by ZealuxMyr

2 minutes ago, ZealuxMyr said:

With that card text as written: you reveal a red 4 straight, throw out Adrenaline Rush and treat "that maneuver" (the red 4 straight maneuver) as white until the end of the Activation phase. This means if you can do a second red 4 straight maneuver in the same activation phase, such as with a SLAM action, you will also treat it as a white maneuver.

They would have to errata Adrenaline Rush to replace the text "until the end of the Activation phase" with "until you complete your maneuver this activation." If they just completely delete the "until the end of the Activation phase" text then it opens the arena up for the argument that, because I threw out Adrenaline Rush to treat "that maneuver" (the red 4 straight maneuver) as a white maneuver, I get to treat "that maneuver" as white for the remainder of the game - which I suspect is the whole reason this phrase even appears on the card in the first place.

As this is a one-shot-wonder and, unless your whole squadron could pull it off in the same round, will leave your ship alone and exposed to your enemy's squadron I highly doubt FFG will care enough to errata Adrenaline Rush. At best you can do this with 1 ship at PS7 and the current meta affords for that ship to get wrecked before it even gets a chance to attack - trying to do it with a squad of Rho Squadron Pilots at PS4 (you'd be able to squeeze 3 in for turn 1 cruise missiles) you're not likely to have all 3 still alive when PS4 activates during the combat phase. In short: hilarious gimmick but entirely tactically unsound - this combination of cards is a trap. All it takes to defeat this Round 1 Alpha of Alpha strikes is for your opponent's NymDoni, Denym, or NymRey PS8+ squad to not set up directly across the table from you and, if they do, Miranda and/or Nym are closing to Range 1/moving behind you to bomb your **** instead of you getting 3 sets of 5 dice Cruise Missiles off. 

I do have a silly squadron prepared, two Rhos with Long Range Scanners with a Scimitar Bomber with Systems Officer. It gets you 2 target locks and SLAM forward no stress.

9 hours ago, ZealuxMyr said:

Also, with the card text as written, you reveal a red 4 straight, play Adrenaline Rush and treat the dial maneuver only as white. There is no way we can be 100% certain what "that" is actually referring to; the dial or any repeat of it. Personally, considering the age of the card and the hamfisted wording that was prevalent back in those early X-wing days, I would say it's intention was for only one maneuver use, not multiple maneuvers.

You can still read it either way. But it's also such a niche occurrence, that FFG aren't likely to take any action on it. <_<

220?cb=20150629162437

When SLAMing, you perform a maneuver that's on your dial though.

And obviously it was only meant for one maneuver, when Adrenaline Rush was created they didn't exactly envision any ways to perform multiple maneuvers per turn. That said, when new interactions arise with old cards, FFG has typically gone with Rules as Written.