Reklawyad

New Rules Reference Guide

2 hours ago, Buhallin said:

The only people who think errata is a problem for new players are veteran players who've been conditioned by WotC to prefer banning cards.

Sorry, but I have to disagree. I AM a new player, and while I am OK with the majority of the changes, I do worry about how the new player base feels about this. Specifically, FFG just released the new 2 Player Game around 7 weeks ago. The goal of launching that game set when they they did (Force Friday), and where they did it (mass retailers), was it introduce the game to a new/large audience. Further, they promoted that Kylo and Phasma paired with one another which made this a great way to get into the game (that pairing promotion is still up on the FFG product page, btw).  A lot of new players I know ended up picking up two copies of the 2 Player Game, just like the veteran players did.  Heck, I was one of the players encouraging my friends to grab two copies of that set. Now, only a few weeks after hitting the shelves, eKylo and ePhasma are no more and I don't think that reflects positively on FFG and their game designers.

For what it's worth I do think errata is fine as the game evolves and grows. But in my opinion what they just did was very publicly correct their mistakes. And good for game play or not, it comes across as if they are rushing product to market before conclusive play testing. The question I have is this: Is that perception good for the state of the game in general, and specifically is it good for those new players that we all want around? Let's hope Jeremy can do better... Something tells me he will!  

Again, that's a new player's perspective. Take it for what it is. 

Edited by Jskipp

5 hours ago, Kieransi said:

Yep. Like I said, happy to be proven wrong, I just don’t think that Destiny is a popular enough game to get enough data points to actually measure this rule change’s effect on Rey. I think it will end up being statistically irrelevant - lost in the noise of the new meta shakeup. 

Rey decks are also the best meta decks that weren’t directly affected by this, so I’m guessing her numbers will go up, with less competition from newPhasma, FN, and Unkar.

It may be that they don't need to nerf her (Rey) if they plan on retiring set one when the new set drops in December. 

45 minutes ago, Amanal said:

Jeremy said " I feel these changes will improve the health of the game and, as the game’s new lead designer, am committed to using all the tools at my disposal to maintain an exciting and balanced metagame in the future!"

I think these changes are bold and decisive, Jeremy makes me hopeful of good things to come.

I agree! I thought a new leader may be just what this game needed. 

16 minutes ago, ozmodon said:

It may be that they don't need to nerf her (Rey) if they plan on retiring set one when the new set drops in December. 

I think that this is unlikely, because rotation this early would really hamper the game. Also note that they nerfed Poe Dameron and Hit and Run, which are both from the same set as Rey.

22 minutes ago, Kieransi said:

I think that this is unlikely, because rotation this early would really hamper the game. Also note that they nerfed Poe Dameron and Hit and Run, which are both from the same set as Rey.

Did you mean Poe and Trap or did I miss something with hit and run?

Given that we have to sleeve the cards I wonder if someone with superior graphics presentation skills could produce and A4 and Letter version of the cards and the changes. Then all we do is print the changes and sleeve the paper copy of the card in with the actual copy of the real card.

Be very nice if FFG would do this.

3 hours ago, Thanoseid said:

The point of game text over static components I would use FN as an example. His point cost is printed there and is constant. Nobody would ever assume that his point cost would/should change same goes for his health, color etc. Text at times is up for interpretation. There are a lot of cards that have differing opinions just by the wording. Now with FN it would be easier to update the rules by saying "Can only replace an upgrade once a round" as opposed to adding that text to his card and then Rey's and further onto other characters who would benefit from this same situation.

Yes, they came up with a rule change to fix FN in this case.  I'm actually impressed with the cleverness of it.  But that's hardly universal - other cards have had their text changed as well.

The idea that a text change is somehow not a "static component" is just silly.

1 hour ago, Amanal said:

Given that we have to sleeve the cards I wonder if someone with superior graphics presentation skills could produce and A4 and Letter version of the cards and the changes. Then all we do is print the changes and sleeve the paper copy of the card in with the actual copy of the real card.

Be very nice if FFG would do this.

Italian version of every errata'd card till now has been released as a pdf.

It would be wise for FFG to do the same with the English version.

10 minutes ago, Plymouthdean86 said:

I think my biggest problem with this update is villain lost 3 of there 13 cost elite character keeping only old kylo and hero's kept both Rey and Kanan, the meta is def set up to be 4 dice hero decks going forwad 

Come on....villains already got too much tricks up their sleeve. To balance it out they at least need to hurt in the character cost flexibility. They were crazy agile in this regard - you had a specific character to fill almost any niche for almost any cost.

34 minutes ago, Vitalis said:

Come on....villains already got too much tricks up their sleeve. To balance it out they at least need to hurt in the character cost flexibility. They were crazy agile in this regard - you had a specific character to fill almost any niche for almost any cost.

I agree with you totally but did they have to nerf all 3 of them by points, couldn't they do health reduction or change the specials to once a round on phasma or unkar, phasma2p would of been a good nerf at 8 health imo

2 hours ago, Plymouthdean86 said:

I agree with you totally but did they have to nerf all 3 of them by points, couldn't they do health reduction or change the specials to once a round on phasma or unkar, phasma2p would of been a good nerf at 8 health imo

They could, but the good thing about just changing the cost of the character and not altering his/her stats and ability is that you don't need a reference sheet to play with it. Character cost is only relevent during deck building, once the game start, you can continue to refer to the cards for effects, it can prevents some confusion.

40 minutes ago, Red Castle said:

They could, but the good thing about just changing the cost of the character and not altering his/her stats and ability is that you don't need a reference sheet to play with it. Character cost is only relevent during deck building, once the game start, you can continue to refer to the cards for effects, it can prevents some confusion.

On the other hand, forgetting about (or for newer or more casual players, not knowing about) the change in cost can lead to bringing an entirely illegal deck. Personally, I would rather regretfully inform said player that their crazy good card isn't as crazy good as they thought, than to inform said player that they need to talk to the TD about what to do for the remainder of the tournament.

3 minutes ago, GooeyChewie said:

On the other hand, forgetting about (or for newer or more casual players, not knowing about) the change in cost can lead to bringing an entirely illegal deck. Personally, I would rather regretfully inform said player that their crazy good card isn't as crazy good as they thought, than to inform said player that they need to talk to the TD about what to do for the remainder of the tournament.

That can be remedied by simply not using the elite version in a lot of cases though.

It’s really frustrating that I ve spend 70€ to buy two boxes of the new starter and now I have only one decent deck. This is really sad for me and a shame for FFG. I DONT CARE IF THEY MADE A MISTAKE. I gave my money to have two decks. You can’t just pop up an errata that blows up and nerfs one of the two new decks you ve sold me. THIS IS A TOTAL FAIL FOR FFG.

Maybe I ve made a mistake to trust this company again. I will consider this for my future buys in FFG. Thanks a lot. 

45 minutes ago, GooeyChewie said:

Not to mention that unless it’s not an FFG sponsored tournament, you’re supposed to turn a deck list into the TO per tournament regulatory guidelines. It should be caught long before the timer starts on Swiss pairing matches.

48 minutes ago, Red Castle said:

And if the TO did a good job while advertising the tournament, players should be aware that there is a FAQ to read prior to entering the tournament.

7 minutes ago, Destraa said:

Not to mention that unless it’s not an FFG sponsored tournament, you’re supposed to turn a deck list into the TO per tournament regulatory guidelines. It should be caught long before the timer starts on Swiss pairing matches.

Right, but here in the real world where tournament organizers don't have time to hold everybody's hand during deck construction and nobody makes deck lists for weekly casual tournaments, it's going to happen.  It's just a matter of how often and how much it deters new and casual players.  I just hope those answers are "almost never" and "not at all."

3 minutes ago, GooeyChewie said:

Right, but here in the real world where tournament organizers don't have time to hold everybody's hand during deck construction and nobody makes deck lists for weekly casual tournaments, it's going to happen.  It's just a matter of how often and how much it deters new and casual players.  I just hope those answers are "almost never" and "not at all."

Or make an announcement before the tournament begins, takes 2 minutes and covers your bases.

43 minutes ago, ildragonir said:

It’s really frustrating that I ve spend 70€ to buy two boxes of the new starter and now I have only one decent deck. This is really sad for me and a shame for FFG. I DONT CARE IF THEY MADE A MISTAKE. I gave my money to have two decks. You can’t just pop up an errata that blows up and nerfs one of the two new decks you ve sold me. THIS IS A TOTAL FAIL FOR FFG.

Maybe I ve made a mistake to trust this company again. I will consider this for my future buys in FFG. Thanks a lot. 

A new account made 20 minutes before this post was made. Yeah, I'm going to just label this as a troll even if it is a reasonable complaint. I'm doubting you made many purchases from them in the first place.