copperbell

So what setting interests you?

You know, if I were to do a homebrew setting for Genesys, I'd probably throw as much in the book as possible together into one, i.e. a science-fiction fantasy setting with different tech levels (and different amounts of eldritch horrors) on different planets. ...Kind of like FASA's unpublished Eighth World, I guess.

Addendum:

On 23.10.2017 at 4:59 PM, twincast said:

my preferences matter little beyond a baseline of a system (or setting) not making me want to repeatedly bang my head against a wall

Looking at you, FATE, FUDGE, and FATAL. <_< (The last one for very different reasons than the other two, obviously, but all hail alliteration. :P)

20 hours ago, Lorne said:

I would cook dinner for someone who could GM this.

Do you live in Kansas? I like dinner and loved City of Heroes. *chuckles*

I've got a dystopian gaslamp fantasy novel I've been working on for some time, and will likely build a setting for it within Genesys. Think steampunk aesthetic with a helping of magic (or, in my case, a twist on the idea of "alchemy").

As I said above, I love superhero settings, but have never been in a successful superhero campaign. City of Heroes would be fun to port; I know it pretty well, and have some ideas for translating it to pen and paper.

A magitech type game would be fun. Imagine a world where magic was more prevalent than science, and most advances in technology come from the arcane. Eberron is an example of magitech, though I'm not sure it's the world I'd want to play in.

Post-apocalyptic fantasy could be interesting. I like the idea of a catastrophic event caused by some sort of abused magic leading to a world with weird creatures, strange abilities, and a struggle for survival.

Other setting styles that might interest me would include cattlepunk, weird west, a Matrix-style game with some sort of character duality, magic-lite urban fantasy, or some sort of "modern demigods" game like Scion.

Edited by Simon Retold

Cyberpunk, specifically the Android setting. I even got the "Worlds of Android" book, it is pretty much a setting book without any crunch and is probably more detailed than the Android book there will be coming for Genesys at some point.

I would also like to run some space opera, Edge of the Empire almost gave me what I wanted, but I was not interested in the Star Wars setting. I would be fine with perhaps a Twilight Imperium setting or even just some generic setting stuff, so I can fill in the blanks myself.

I am also thinking of porting some Deadlands and/or Pirates of the Spanish Main (or really just doing a pirate game with some light mystical elements) over from Savage Worlds, since I really like those games, but my group is not really into Savage Worlds as a system.

Fantasy is probably not something I am gonna touch with Genesys, unless it is part some mashup (Dragonstar or Shadowrun for example), I prefer  D&D 5th and WFRP 2nd ED when I do play fantasy games.

I'm currently working on a modern fantasy/horror campaign inspired by The Secret World, World of Darkness, and the Dresden Files. I've wanted to run a campaign like this for a while, but just couldn't find the right system. Fate Core was close, but as soon as I heard about Genesys, I knew this was the one. The recent article, Touch of Magic, solidified that for me.

Edited by verdantsf

2 hours ago, verdantsf said:

I'm currently working on a modern fantasy/horror campaign inspired by The Secret World, World of Darkness, and the Dresden Files. I've wanted to run a campaign like this for a while, but just couldn't find the right system. Fate Core was close, but as soon as I heard about Genesys, I knew this was the one. The recent article, Touch of Magic, solidified that for me.

I so hope to realize The Secret World with Genesys as well. The idea of a setting where every urban legend is real, a kind of Supernatural, a dream come true.

On ‎25‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:09 PM, DarthGM said:

Modern - G.I.Joe

The 80s kid in me would love that. For some reason Chuckles was my favourite...

Anyway, the setting I'm going with first off is a modern one inspired heavily by the video game franchise Watch_Dogs and the rebooted Hitman. It's basically the 5mins into the future style of modern that relies on a far greater degree of centralised connectivity that we have now. I liked played the first edition of AEG's Spycraft in d20, but tech then was pre-smart phone so it was very much limited to having the tech player in one spot and overriding cameras.

With the prospect of phone/tablet based tech allowing for much more dynamic interactions with other PCs, NPCs, and the environment. So it's stopping a shadowy group from having unfettered access to personal data and using it to manipulate events in their favour, essentially providing the solution to any of the issues that the newly connected, "ctOS-based" world throws up.

I wonder who owns the City of Heroes/Villians license? It would nice to have something official for those of us that have played. I do miss my old characters and supergroup.

Yeah, systems like this are designed to be generic so you can make anything but I've always preferred having official material as a primary resource.

6 hours ago, Andreievitch said:

I would love to do a Saga setting.   I love Brian K Vaughan and especially this series.  

I think Genesys would work really well with the blend of Scifi and magic that Saga has.  Plus, its all about the (narrative) story!

saga-e1441674669100.jpg

Not being much of a comic book fan I wasn't aware of Saga, but it looks interesting. I may get a ComiXology subscription to check it out. 

2 hours ago, fjw70 said:

Not being much of a comic book fan I wasn't aware of Saga, but it looks interesting. I may get a ComiXology subscription to check it out. 

I've been reading Comics since the 80's and Saga is by far my favorite. I also use Comixology. I love physical books, but Data storage is easier than physical storage.

Using Genesys for a Saga game sounds pretty interesting.

My wife and I brainstormed for some settings we want to do with Genesys:

Classic fantasy - character is student at magic prep school or university. Can play that with very little combat, but lots of conflict.

A Stargate type thing - near future, can use stuff from non SF/Modern in other worlds.

A time traveler or dimension hopper - like stargate in use of other genres.

Urban Fantasy.

Fightin' Anime.

A "traditional fantasy" but the game has the tone, villians, monsters and such that make it feel like a classic 8/16 bit JRPG

A game set in near future, where e-sports is king, and people play bloodsports for money - they matrix in, and play games. Plan to add a "new character" as an add on to main reallife character for the character in the game. So mage would give some XP, mage skills and access to magic, but only works in the Fantasy game. Character is a real life swordsman and will have a Fantasy and SF character. The big twist a ways down, is that he will be able to use character stuff in real world (like a spell).

really a game that either uses narritive structure of the game that combat intensive games don't work with - my first example would be difficult in pathfinder, for example - or that use the universal/generic side of the game to mix and match genres.

3 hours ago, Endersai said:

Have you read Snow Crash, or is this based on the self-congratulatory Ready Player One?

I've read Snow Crash (though I can see the whole "hacker" bit from that), haven't read Ready Player One. The genesis for the idea is actually the "Adventurers Wanted" kids fantasy series, the XCrawl setting, with some stuff thrown in from Sword Art Online, Log horizon, the first Dream Park novel and Tron, and MMO culture, among others. :)

Edited by Lordmhoram

Just now, Endersai said:

I just love how Snow Crash had that idea of the hackers creating their community, and Hiro is the greatest swordsman ever, online (but not that useful IRL).

I remember the first time I read that - the opening "Deliverator" paragraph completely hooked me.

At the time I read it, I was actually playing a superhero game- Champions. One of the classic villains is Rainbow Archer - a female archer but very much in the vein of Green Arrow and Hawkeye. The GM and I worked a background that my new character was her niece (and an archer), and I wanted to maker her sort of punk - so she flew around on a hoverboard. She was sarcastic, and, as I said sorta punk.  So I'd been playing her a year, and she was sorta retired for a couple of years, and I read Snow Crash and YT was basically my superhero in tone, attitude and board. I was like "Hey! That's my character!"