copperbell

So what setting interests you?

My main interest with any generic system is to be able to use it with virtually any type of genre and setting. I want to be able to use the rules set for a while, as learning a new system every time I want to start something new gets tedious for my players. I'm probably just pointing out the obvious and preaching to the choir here!

More specifically, I'd like to use Genesys for:
-Post Apocalyptic campaigns
-Fantasy campaigns
-Historical campaigns (Crusades! WWII)
-Urban Fantasy (our world as well as Final Fantasyesque worlds)
-Cyberpunk

I love all the genres included, but to be perfectly honest, the Narrative Dice System is less my cup of tea than other generic systems; I'm a simulationist at heart. But since it's all about getting players to the table, my preferences matter little beyond a baseline of a system (or setting) not making me want to repeatedly bang my head against a wall, and I can see Genesys being really popular with my nieces. Anyway, I feel way more inclined to use this for Fantasy Flight's own settings. We know they're working on (presumably rules-free) setting books akin to the one they've already done for Android, and I guess it's fairly safe to assume there'll be at the very least Beginner Games for Runebound, Android, Arkham Horror and Twilight Imperium sooner rather than later (and I'd bet five bucks on this order). Which one to choose for what few chances we have per year, though? One loves horror, but another is too young and the third doesn't like it that much IIRC. None of them are much into (either brand of) sci-fi, but AFAIK the aforementioned third doesn't outright refuse it anymore, either. Progress. So maybe at a later date. Long story short, just like when we started our current campaign a few years ago, fantasy remains the easy gateway drug (particularly for said niece #3 - actually the oldest) and they've all been hooked on Terrinoth (primarily) through Descent 2e already. (I would really like to further ease them into the setting beforehand through Legacy of Dragonholt, but to my utter chagrin I discovered yesterday that apparently there aren't any plans for a German translation of that one yet. That said, we still have other stuff yet to play, anyway. Not the RPGs I'd really love to get onto the table, of course, but most of Aventuria and some more Descent 2e.)

1) space opera (by way of Starfinder's setting)

2) urban fantasy (probably with characters as hunters with minimal supernatural power)

3) high fantasy if they do a fully fleshed out Terrinoth (seems more like a "when" but ya never know)

I hope the system is flexible enough to accommodate a series of one-shot adventures as well.  I think that could be interesting as a lead in to a campaign since we could genre shop until something clicks harder than the others and we just run with it.  Genesys SHOULD be great for both, depending on starting XP and expectations for progression.

Weird West, classical western with elements of steampunk (Wild Wild West), dark magic (Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare) and other elements of north american mythology (witches, skinwalkers, Paul Bunyan, Cthulu myth, etc.)

Post apocalyptic similar to Fallout, but set in europe

Fantasy (in the vein of warcraft, so a bit of machinery/steampunk)

Pirate Fantasy? Don't know what to call it, but think pirates of the caribbean with more focus on all the magic, curses and similar shenanigans

I'd like more base settings, just so we can mix and match.

The game I am about to be involved in is inspired by Dream Park, Log Horizon, X-Crawl, Adventurer's wanted and other things.

Main setting - near future world  - all sport are now "eSports" - with fully VR (or Matrix like) log in to the game world. The character will be an up and coming (newly pro) player. His base character sheet will be his real world self. Then he has 2 main games he plays - a Fantasy (which will treat his "base world" as starting stats & skills, then spend points like a normal starting character with career and talents etc (lower points than normal). That will be his normal fantasy character, and the same for a SF character. The twist happens when he uses Psy powers or Magic powers (without thinking about it) in the real world, and what follows.

A little complex, but that is why I love universal systems- you can put together stuff that any non universal game would go "huh? no way man!"

Fireborn would indeed be cool. Loved the idea but never quite worked for me.

As for what I am planning though.....

Sky Ships.

Guns of Icarus, Weatherlight, that bit from stardust. Fly the skys, defend the homeland, stop the pirates OR become them, grab the loot, get the fame & affection @ a reasonable price.

Edit to correct autocorrect.

Edited by Vixen Icaza

2 hours ago, TechnoGolem said:

Really hope FF does a Fallout book. I think it would be my best chance to avoid generic fantasy.

Even if they don't,  I'll  have something for you on release day to hopefully tide you over.

GM Phil's got your back. :D

Edited by DarthGM

2 hours ago, DarthGM said:

GM Phil's got your back. :D

So eager to listen to GM Phil's first Genesys podcast! :D 

The newest article leaves me thrilled and eagerly awaiting the change of status in the upcoming list.

Talking about Weird War, the WWI part in the Sucker Punch movie would be nice for such a setting as well, ja?

6 hours ago, DarthGM said:

Modern Super Hero - City of Heroes

I think I’m in love!

I also want to run Stargate: Delta. The PCs are an SG team based out of the alpha site during the Ori conflict.

And, for good measure, a homebrew hard(er) sci fi game I’ve been toying with since the early aughts. Humans only, warp gates as the only FTL, no artificial gravity. The early years of space exploration. I like to think of it as the U.S. westward expansion…in SPAAAAACE! PCs can be either settlers gaming the wild side of unexplored space or be part of Task Force Valen, like the Texas Rangers going from place to place settling disputes, righting wrongs, etc.

Well, I love some RPGs like Pathfinder, Warhammer, Cyberpunk 2020, Shadowrunn, Star Wars, Legend of the Five Rings...

So I'd say I like high fantasy (could be european or oriental), steampunk, "modern" w/ some tech and maybe with magic, space opera.

Maybe I can create something that use all in one xD something mixing Guardians of the Galaxy and Mad Max and Harry Potter... 

On specific settings books, I hope there are no licensed setting. Just IP they own outright, and nothing at all from TV, Movies, Video games or other external sources.

I intend to play/run home-brew all the time. Setting books will be resources for new talent trees, equipment, classes and npcs/monsters.  That is pretty much how I've gamed for 40+ years, no reason to change now. :)

Edited by Lordmhoram

Home-brewed Steampunk is one I'm currently working on with a friend... right now it's just too fluid and undecided to get more descriptive than that.

Ice age Fantasy, Humans, Neanderthal, Dinistovian as possible PC species,The "Ice King" rules from the frozen north, a thick ice sheet covers the Atlantic, and tribes of peoples try to survive, while our heroes strive to defeat this Ice King, and return the world to warmth... 

Weird War... sort of. I've been playing a lot of the Sniper Elite Nazi Zombie franchise, and Wolfenstein lately... So, undead, Nazi, Dieselpunk  would be about where my head is at.

Modern Magic setting. Kinda Dresden-ish... but not in his universe, certainly of my own creation.

I'd love to say cyberpunk, but R. Talsorian is going to be releasing their newest edition along side the Cyberpunk 2077 video game from CD Projekt Red, the folks who did the Witcher, so I'm looking for them to bring back the "Classic" Cyberpunk rpg, updated to a modern style. 

Maybe moving my Xfiles like game over to Genesys. 

That's where I'm at right now.