Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BlackHalo2

the gnoph-keh attack! Mystery

13 posts in this topic

Hello have a question about this mystery card associated with the ancient one Ithaqua.

 

the wording is:

 

”as an encounter an investigator on a city space containing a clue MUST confront the gnoph-keh that threaten civilization: .....”

 

i might be reading this too too literally but does this mean that an investigator has to do this mystery encounter (as opposed to another location encounter) if they are on a city space with a clue on it?

 

it seems rather annoying because sometimes you just can’t fight this monster and would instead like to do a general location encounter instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, BlackHalo2 said:

Hello have a question about this mystery card associated with the ancient one Ithaqua.

 

the wording is:

 

”as an encounter an investigator on a city space containing a clue MUST confront the gnoph-keh that threaten civilization: .....”

 

i might be reading this too too literally but does this mean that an investigator has to do this mystery encounter (as opposed to another location encounter) if they are on a city space with a clue on it?

 

it seems rather annoying because sometimes you just can’t fight this monster and would instead like to do a general location encounter instead.

No, you're not required to do it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why?

As I read it you really must. English is not my first language, but why not?

 

To OP I would say, to avoid the fight avoid spaces with clues, because you only have to fight (if my interpretation is correct) if there is a clue on your space.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, StLemon said:

Why?

As I read it you really must. English is not my first language, but why not?

 

To OP I would say, to avoid the fight avoid spaces with clues, because you only have to fight (if my interpretation is correct) if there is a clue on your space.

Unless you have the Detained or Lost in Time and Space Condition, as I understand it, you have the option of undertaking whichever encounter you please if you have more than one choice, provided there are no Combat Encounters on the space. A Mystery that let's you do something "as an Encounter" is an option you get if you're on a certain space. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Matt620 said:

Unless you have the Detained or Lost in Time and Space Condition, as I understand it, you have the option of undertaking whichever encounter you please if you have more than one choice, provided there are no Combat Encounters on the space. A Mystery that let's you do something "as an Encounter" is an option you get if you're on a certain space. 

But all of that comes from the language on the cards?

The game is very good at using 'may' and such when you do have a choice and here according to the OP there is a 'must'. 

I can't remember a rule that trumps this 'must' here? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it's a must then it's as harsh as we played it.  

 

Basically any city with a clue on it was a "no fly zone" for any investigator who wasn't prepared for the ambush encounter.

 

Even worse, after the mystery was fulfilled (but not yet completed as that occurs at the end of the mythos phase) it continued to waste the entire round of encounters of other investigators.

 

=(

 

Pretty annoying.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unfortunately not, the way the game played out we had a burst of clues being spawned early (some via London).

 

Clues happened to spawn on cities just out of the randomness.  

 

Then most of the efficient paths to other areas of interest such as gates, expeditions, etc were "blocked" by these clues in cities.  In order to zoom through them quickly without ending there (and thus having the forced encounter) we needed travel tickets which wasn't efficient neither.

 

Making it worse the Acquire Assets were filled with 4 mediocre items as we desperately looked and tried to get some effective weapons to appear to boost strength.

 

Then the mythos card (forgot the name) which causes the next Acquire Assets action to give you a Cursed condition or discard 2 clues came up while the Rumor cards ticked down....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oof. Pretty Brutal. I suppose if you had Clairvoyance, you may be able to snag the clue from the city space from a distance, thus allowing someone to have a normal encounter there?

Not sure about this though, as clairvoyance I believe might state that you can have an encounter as if you were on a chosen space (would this facilitate the 'must' clause?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Eldan985 said:

Yeah, seems pretty clear to me. All other similar mysteries use "may", not "must".

We've always played it as a requirement as well, since the card clearly says "must".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Soakman said:

Oof. Pretty Brutal. I suppose if you had Clairvoyance, you may be able to snag the clue from the city space from a distance, thus allowing someone to have a normal encounter there?

Not sure about this though, as clairvoyance I believe might state that you can have an encounter as if you were on a chosen space (would this facilitate the 'must' clause?)

Interesting. I'd say no monster in that case, as the text says it's an encounter with the city which has the clue on it, not encountering the clue.

Edited by Eldan985

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0