Sign in to follow this  
Boom Owl

Star Wars: Imperial Tactics Episode VI: Gunboat Slam

STAR WARS: IMPERIAL TACTICS EPISODE VI: GUNBOAT SLAM

fnxItT9.png

Due to my general lack of familiarity with slam I decided to take some time to visualize the type of coverage the Gunboat will be able to achieve.

Some Quick Notes:

• I put this together before the Vassal Update to include the Gunboat Model ( Used the striker in its place ) 
  • Not sure if I did these right, measurements aren't exact but still gives a good idea of the limits of these arcs. 
  • Hard Turn Slams are not a substitute for K-Turns and still leave significant blind spots for arc dodgers to exploit particularly at speed 3
  • Banks + Hard Turns are going to be super fun
  • I cant wait to use the Gunboat with Lieutenant Dormitz for some reason
  • Seems like it could be a really aggressive ship in the first couple rounds of a game
  • The gunboat arcs form a heart shape. The Imperial tides have turned. 

SPEED 1

0STZvWe.png

jDVJhdA.png

SPEED 2

fnxItT9.png

ZgnVKeR.png

Rjuc3up.png

EDXPQJW.png

SPEED 3

fnxItT9.png

EeNgI9j.png

AfBcyit.png

CrR7j2A.png

SPEED 4 

iXFz6s5.png

fnxItT9.png

Can't believe the Gunboat exists!!! 

giphy.gif

Previous Episodes:

Edited by Boom Owl

I've never flown K-wings, and even then, they care turreted bombers, but I think there might be some similarity to the Gunboats and Engine Upgrade shuttles (Upsilon or Lambda).  You can't turn around in one move, you have strong guns, and you're fast.  

I've run the Upsilon a bit, and there are a few tactics that I think translate to the Gunboats pretty well. 

1.)  If you put it on a flank, you never really have to turn around.  You just do one-speed moves while you hammer away with an HLC or something.  As someone who cut their X-wing  teeth on HLC Defenders, I'm so looking forward to gett8ng a good HLC carrier back. 

2.)  If they head toward the Gunboat, the SLAM is pretty good for speeding past someone and disengaging, then turning around with SLAM when you're out if combat.  

So you'll need to have something balancing out the Gunboat(s) in your list that can take advantage of the attention they draw, or draw the attention away from them.

4 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

So you'll need to have something balancing out the Gunboat(s) in your list that can take advantage of the attention they draw, or draw the attention away from them.

What are your thoughts on Kylo+Rhos, then?

2 hours ago, Boom Owl said:

EDXPQJW.png

Aww! It’s a heart! We love you too, GUNBOAT!!! :wub:

I kinda wish it had a K-Turn somewhere on that dial - slamming into a K-Turn would have been absolutely bonkers! But I still think this is one of the most flexible ships I’ve seen. Too bad it doesn’t have any inherent reposition actions - barrel roll might have been nice. 

Ordnance will be nice, but the more I think about it, the more I tend to think the best GUNBOAT option is cannons. The GUNBOAT is so much better in terms of survivability than the Scyk, which costs the same squadpoints as it. In fact, I’ve had good results with three HLC Scyks - so imagine what three HLC GUNBOATS can do!!! 

I think this subset of their maneuvers is particularly interesting.

mMaDtaW.png

This is Lbank-slam-Rturn and Rturn-slam-Lbank, at speeds 2 and 3, and the final positions are at LEAST long range from each other, even though they end up pointed in the same direction.

On 10/22/2017 at 1:30 PM, Rakaydos said:

I think this subset of their maneuvers is particularly interesting.

mMaDtaW.png

This is Lbank-slam-Rturn and Rturn-slam-Lbank, at speeds 2 and 3, and the final positions are at LEAST long range from each other, even though they end up pointed in the same direction.

Yea its the banks + the hard turns that have me so excited. The thing can snake around the board and really move in and out of combat in some interesting ways. 

13 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

Yea its the banks + the hard turns that have me so excited. The thing can snake around the board and really move in and out of combat in some interesting ways. 

Strikers are awesome, and they're almost half as tough (with a lot of other differences as well, of course).

2 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

Strikers are awesome, and they're almost half as tough (with a lot of other differences as well, of course).

I think people who have regularly flown Strikers are going to get similar kicks from the Gunboat for sure. 

Edited by Boom Owl

On 10/22/2017 at 8:44 AM, Rakaydos said:

Dpnt forget the mythic Captian Yorr 4 straight slam!

Or Adrenaline Rush! I believe with Adrenaline Rush as it is written, that 4 speed maneuver becomes white until the end of the activation phase. With AR, AdvSLam, OS-1, and a 4 speed maneuver into a 4 speed slam, you are smacking the opponent with Ordnance round 1.

Edited by Jo Jo

49 minutes ago, Jo Jo said:

Or Adrenaline Rush! I believe with Adrenaline Rush as it is written, that 4 speed maneuver becomes white until the end of the activation phase. With AR, AdvSLam, OS-1, and a 4 speed maneuver into a 4 speed slam, you are smacking the opponent with Ordnance round 1.

That is delightful.  

22 minutes ago, HolySorcerer said:

I so wish they had given this thing a 4k instead of the 4 straight.  The damned kimogila gets a 4k, and that thing flies like a brick, and not just a regular brick, but a particularly inept-at-flying brick.

So what your saying is....you want the gunboat to have the adrenaline rush better version of pivot wing? Sounds reasonable.

Edited by Boom Owl

16 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

So what your saying is....you want the gunboat to have the adrenaline rush better version of pivot wing? Sounds reasonable.

Back to back kturns is more a complex and dangerous version of the stop maneuver, not quite the pivot wing. 

Id just like the ability to turn around.