Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ficklegreendice

OMG FFG releases ANOTHER deadeye torp scout dotdotdot

66 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, defkhan1 said:

Yeah I was kinda hoping the OS-1 title would give the ship a second mod slot. As it stands, you have to jump through some hoops to make the OS-1 config work since Advanced SLAM is practically necessary on this ship. I've seen people throwing around Expertise + Harpoons and ASLAM on the Rhos, but that gets expensive quick.

problem with stacking g-chips atop ASLAM is that you will literally get deadeye torpscout levels of offense (focus + chips) on a very maneuverable platform that can fire after flipping around (U-turn SLAM instead of white sloop). Difference being you exchange deadeye for infinite ordnance

I'm not particularly interested in actually getting more torpscouts, the title was just a hyperbole

Edited by ficklegreendice

2 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

problem with stacking g-chips atop ASLAM is that you will literally get deadeye torpscout levels of offense (focus + chips) on a very maneuverable platform that can fire after flipping around. Difference being you exchange deadeye for infinite ordnance

You can still do that with Expertise Rho's. Rho Squadron Pilot with Expertise, Harpoon Missiles, ASLAM, OS-1 Config. 33 pts a pop. Put three of them in a list and you have infinite post-SLAM ordnance with Focus + TL to modify (better than Focus + Chips). Not to mention Harpoons are savage. No idea if it's actually good though.

8 minutes ago, defkhan1 said:

You can still do that with Expertise Rho's. Rho Squadron Pilot with Expertise, Harpoon Missiles, ASLAM, OS-1 Config. 33 pts a pop. Put three of them in a list and you have infinite post-SLAM ordnance with Focus + TL to modify (better than Focus + Chips). Not to mention Harpoons are savage. No idea if it's actually good though.

that's not "infinite" in the same way I meant it

if you could combine chips and ASLAM, the OS-1 could run around re-loading and firing jm5k-tier ordnance round after round after round. You can't quite do that with just expertise, as you either

1. keep the TL on the target and use action/ASLAM to reload, getting only expertise (focus) to modify the missiles

2. Spend the TL with expertise with full mods, and then not be able to reload and fire the next round because you have no TL (required both for the missile and the title)

in case #1, you only modify with focus after reload. In case #2, you don't get to fire next turn because you have to both reload and TL. You could both reload and TL with PTL, but then you don't have expertise/focus.

Serious question:

What if you swap Crack Shot on FGS's HLC list for Lightning Reflexes? 

You get a little less upfront damage, but a much more flexible midgame.

6 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

Serious question:

What if you swap Crack Shot on FGS's HLC list for Lightning Reflexes? 

You get a little less upfront damage, but a much more flexible midgame.

and let the green dice hold more sway?

nay, good sir! crack all the way!

I may or may not be biased

3 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

I thought about four linked Mangler Nus, and I'm honestly not seeing them over

FIVE.

CARTEL.

MARAUDERS.

courtesy of el Gecko

the extra die, crackshot and pilot skill of the Rho has me favoring them over both other options

Temper Tantrum

Nu Squadron Pilot (18)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

Nu Squadron Pilot (18)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

Nu Squadron Pilot (18)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

Nu Squadron Pilot (18)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

Nu Squadron Pilot (18)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Weaker at short range, telegraph their target, and has to flee combat to recharge, but significantly (40%) tougher and faster out of combat to get that recharge, while penalizing the enemy from Kturning to pursue.

Edited by Rakaydos
Arkanta974 likes this

2 minutes ago, Biophysical said:

Calculation might even be interesting on one of them.  Get those crits in there.

on;y if there's a ren cackling around in the same list

12 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

that's not "infinite" in the same way I meant it

if you could combine chips and ASLAM, the OS-1 could run around re-loading and firing jm5k-tier ordnance round after round after round. You can't quite do that with just expertise, as you either

1. keep the TL on the target and use action/ASLAM to reload, getting only expertise (focus) to modify the missiles

2. Spend the TL with expertise with full mods, and then not be able to reload and fire the next round because you have no TL (required both for the missile and the title)

in case #1, you only modify with focus after reload. In case #2, you don't get to fire next turn because you have to both reload and TL. You could both reload and TL with PTL, but then you don't have expertise/focus.

If you're running three of these guys, you've more than likely destroyed your first target if you alpha'd correctly. Your example is only different if you're continuously firing on the same ship.

1 minute ago, ficklegreendice said:

on;y if there's a ren cackling around in the same list

Is there something to a Nu with Mangler and then a Flechette to fire on SLAM turns?

I'm pretty sure I'd 100% rather have a flechette cannon Nu than that flechette torpedo list. Really not sure a 3 dice attack that requires a full turn to reload (and get out of r2 to re-TL) and doesn't stress high hull targets is worth it, and without the title or advanced SLAM the reloading and re-acquiring the TL is going to be really tough to manage.

Edited by mdl0114

47 minutes ago, mdl0114 said:

I'm pretty sure I'd 100% rather have a flechette cannon Nu than that flechette torpedo list. Really not sure a 3 dice attack that requires a full turn to reload (and get out of r2 to re-TL) and doesn't stress high hull targets is worth it, and without the title or advanced SLAM the reloading and re-acquiring the TL is going to be really tough to manage.

That's a choice that costs you an entire extra ship.

That's true for a 5x list as opposed to just sprinkling one in as stress control. Probably better to go to 4 of the ships with real ordnance instead, can run 4 with cannon title, flechette cannons, LRS, and harpoon missiles. Gives you an unmodded flechette cannon shot on the reloading round if you have something in arc. I really don't think LRS is the way to go with these though, Advanced SLAM to be able to reload or TL while SLAMing seems much better for the missile boat.

6 hours ago, Rakaydos said:

Temper Tantrum

Nu Squadron Pilot (18)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

Nu Squadron Pilot (18)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

Nu Squadron Pilot (18)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

Nu Squadron Pilot (18)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

Nu Squadron Pilot (18)
Flechette Torpedoes (2)
Long-Range Scanners (0)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

Weaker at short range, telegraph their target, and has to flee combat to recharge, but significantly (40%) tougher and faster out of combat to get that recharge, while penalizing the enemy from Kturning to pursue.

Name of this list ?

Nuff said !

*hide quickly*

Edited by Arkanta974

2 minutes ago, Arkanta974 said:

Name of this list ? Nuff said ! *hide quickly*

Temper Tantrum.

Nu! Nu! Nu! Nu! Nu!

Edited by Rakaydos
Arkanta974 likes this

On 10/21/2017 at 10:07 AM, Biophysical said:

Okay, fair enough.  Not aggressively priced taking titles into account, but cheap enough that the titles don't suck up too many points.  With the way the named ones were priced.  I was hoping the PS2 would be 19, expecting 20, and fearing 21.  

I'm very much looking forward to them as Ion Cannon carriers.  Being able to stick one in with an Ion Cannon for 23 points is a handy tool.  At that price, the one damage cap on Ion is not a big problem. 

Nu Squadron Pilot (18)
Ion Cannon (3)
XG-1 Assault Configuration (1)

Total: 22

Eat your heart out, Ion B-wings. (Okay, you don't get to hammer things with the extra reds when you actually tag an opponent with said, but it's one heck of a 22pt ship to fill out a list with!)

On 10/21/2017 at 0:08 PM, Biophysical said:

Is there something to a Nu with Mangler and then a Flechette to fire on SLAM turns?

I keep wanting this to be a thing, but it feels like if you want to go this route just pay an extra point and throw an HLC on the table to terrify your opponent with.