IceQube MkII

Best Level "0" Cards

11 posts in this topic

New player here and just trying to drink all the cards from a water hose...

I notice that the Dunwich Investigators can have up to 5 level "0" cards from any class.  Has there ever been a discussion of Top 3 from each class? (I realize this depends and can be a heated discussion but I am curious of the community's thoughts.)

To me, it seems like the "pumper" cards like Hyperawareness are good picks.

Thanks in advance!

BTW - I prefer that characters be kinda balanced or teams being balanced... (e.g., I know that after the playthroughs you can powergame a certain scenario but I prefer being "prepared for whatever happens" if that makes sense!

Daring Maneuver on Rex is great (not particularly good on most other investigators though). To me, the game feels so situational, it's very hard to pick. Leo DeLuca will always be in the top because it gives you an extra action every turn. Only one player can use him at a time though.

My personal favorites:

- Machete.  Can't beat this for some fill-in fighting power.  Fire Axe is another alternative here, depending on the investigator.
- Liquid Courage.  Outstanding horror heals.
- Prepared for the Words.  I initially hated this card, but have come to appreciate it for cases where you have low counts of good weapons (like, say, Machete)
- Shortcut and Elusive.  Movement will always come in handy.
- No Stone Unturned.  Helps anyone find their key cards, and a friend if you hit yours on the opening.
- Lucky.
- Double or Nothing.  Situational, but always fun.

I tend not to go for the unique allies due to class conflicts - they're almost always going to be better used by their "owner".

Soakman and IceQube MkII like this

My top 3 from each class: 

Guardian: 1. Machete -best weapon

2. Let me handle this - great for team compos since you play the role of guardian.

3.  Dodge - cancel an attack always helps

Seeker: 1. SHortcut - No attacks of opportunity, 0 cost, fast card best card!

2. Inquiring Mind - great skill

3. Old book of Lore - search your deck, avoid weaknesses. Great seeker asset.

Rogue: 1. Leo de Luca - best ally in the game

2. Lone Wolf - best resource card for solo games

3. Daring Maneuver - This card is essential for hard mode +

Mystic: 1. Delve too deep - campaign xp greed.

2. Hypnotic Gaze - better than dodge.

3. Rite of Seeking 

Surviror: 1. Lucky! - great overall

2. Dark Horse - boosts you overall tricky card to play aroun though 

3. Lantern and/or Gravedigger's Shovel - Oh my the new cards of Carcosa boosts a lot a survivor deck.

Neutral: 1.Guts - Most treacheries needs to test this skill so i have it in every investigator deck.

2. Emergency Cashe - more resources

3. Flashligh - great tool for solo games.

IceQube MkII and Soakman like this

As said above, I think it is very difficult to judge many of the cards in isolation, as their value will depend heavily on what sort of investigator you are playing as.

Two cards that I rate highly that haven't been mentioned so far are Scrying (particularly in 1-2 player games for encounter deck manipulation) and Ward of Protection (1 horror to completely cancel some encounter cards can be a very good trade).

Soakman likes this

I'm using a Jenny Barnes deck right now and am quite enjoying the Seeker card Preposterous Sketches.  Jenny with Lone Wolf is generating 3 resources per turn.  Preposterous Sketches gives me more cards more quickly to spend those resources on.  3 cards is generally more than 10% of your remaining deck.

I'm also generally a fan of Drawn To The Flame for investigators who have trouble investigating.

I suppose another way of approaching this is by investigator rather than faction, which, just for the sake of a thought experiment, I'll do now:

Zoey Samaras: Drawn to the Flame, Liquid Courage, maybe something like Working a Hunch or indeed Fire Axe. I've seen Gravedigger's Shovel suggested too - also a combination of hunch and a bit of combat boosting for easier enemies.

Rex Murphy: As Peter on the podcast suggested to me recently, Shrivelling is actually a strong-ish choice here, as Rex has access to Higher Education and Shrivelling is quite the beast. I've had fun with Rabbit's Foot, Backstab, Liquid Courage and, of course, the star, Burglary. 

Jenny Barnes: Trickier than most because she's such a blank slate. I love the Preposterous Sketches suggestion. I've also run Vicious Blow and Ward of Protection very happily here. For more investigative power, Deduction and Dr Milan (in a non-Leo build) are lovely.

Jim Culver: Solo I ran Fire Axe, but I'm not sure about that. Jim's an odd fish, really. I've also see 2 x Emergency Aid so that he can be a proper support character with his trumpet and extra healing. Can't go wrong with Lucky for Mr Dependable, either. 

Ashcan Pete: I've loved running Ward of Protection while playing solo (Peter Sylvestre to soak up the horror), and the Magnifying Glass build (with Scavenging, Newspaper and Rabbit's Foot) is incredible fun, too. Vicious Blow and Deduction both useful depending on the role you take. 

Hope some of these are helpful and not too far off brief!

IceQube MkII, Samea and Assussanni like this

For Jenny, I tend to take Adaptable after the first scenario in a campaign and use it to swap out non-Rogue level 0 cards between scenarios.  I think what she takes really depends whether you want her to focus on evasion or fighting. 

Soakman likes this

In every case I feel the right answer is:  Delve too Deep.  

If you meant besides that, then:

Lone Wolf, Prepared for the Worst, Look What I Found!, Ward of Protection, Fire Axe, Liquid Courage are all strong contenders.  

Ompakim and rsdockery like this

From a Survivor stand point, my top three so far, including cards from the Carcosa Cycle, would be, in no particular order, Gravedigger Shovel, Lantern (both from Carcosa), and Peter Sylvester (Dunwich).   Leaving Carcosa out, I would have to say Lucky and Baseball Bat (Core) as well as Peter Sylvester.