Sign in to follow this  
Currahee Chris

Ruleset advice: Running a business

I have pitched an idea to my players about bringing all their EOE characters together into a large pot and becoming employees of a corporation. As members of this company, they will earn "stock" and have an ownership interest. As they complete missions for the company, naturally they will move up the corporate ladder so to speak, thereby earning more profits for themselves and a bigger share of the overall company.

The reception was very enthusiastic. One problem, I hadn't fully fleshed out rules for how I wanted to handle this exactly! :):) I have some loose concept ideas which I can put to paper but figured it would be wise to consult the forum to see if anyone else has any insight, especially if there is anything in any of the 3 core rulebooks I could use as a basis.

Game wise I don't want to bog down the adventure portion of the game with business rules. I have acquired all the published modules for the three games and am doing up "Job Summaries". I will then have the group meet and decide which course of adventures (jobs) the party goes for. I can see this being a unique and fun twist to the game that can add an extra layer of intrigue and social roleplaying, but I don't want it to be all encompassing.

Ultimately, the party members will get paid as each module suggest. However, in an attempt to simulate "behind the scenes" activities of the company, I want to make like a quarterly roll that pays out a bonus to the players based on if the company was profitable for the quarter and/or their stocks can increase/decrease. Something where I might make a roll every other/third session to simulate the passage of time and the overall direction the company is taking.

Any advice/ abstractions would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

CC

far horizons, the colonist splatbook, has some rules on how to handle a business. in a nutshell, all npcs gain a career skill that relates to the type of business and then they each get a number of credits at the end of each month. additional upgrades can be bought, like more money/month, better security, additional npcs etc

16 hours ago, Ahrimon said:

You can use the AoR duty rules.  They represent earning standing in a group and moving up the ladder (chain).

Ha!!! Interesting as I just read those rules last night as I started looking over AoR and thought the same thing! :)