Steelgunner

How do people usually pick their lists?

17 hours ago, Steelgunner said:

But what about if you're playing someone new at your local comic store/game spot? Do you wait to see what they're fielding and then choose accordingly? Wouldn't they see what you are fielding in response and just change their list, and back and forth?

Most of the time people are just good sports and still to playing what they were going to play. Also if someone 'new' turns up to play they either A) Want to make this a regular gaming spot for them (so they wont wants to rub people up the wrong way on their first few nights) or B) It'll just be a one off visit so I don't really care if they counter build a squad because I'll likely not see them again. 

If they do keep on counter building squads for games, they will quickly find themselves out of opponents to play. The best thing to do in the situation is talk the them, they may not realize why people don't want to play them, or why counter building squads is not the done thing. The X-Wing community is mainly mature friendly gamers (okay, no we can be quite immature actually) that just want a Good Game. In my two years playing at my FLGS I have met maybe 1 person who was a a bad egg (and i honestly believe its because of terrible personal circumstances). 

But the bottom line is talk to people. bring them into the fold, they are only new one time. 

I carry two lists in my case wherever I go. The first list is whatever competitive list I'm running (at the moment, Dash and a Lothal). The second is the funnest thing I can think of (Online, this is 4 Lambdas).

Before I show my opponent either of my lists, I'll ask them if they want to play casual or competitive, ad choose my list accordingly.

Usually, when something new arrives, I build a list around every pilot at least once and try it out as soon as possible, but usually I just pick what i fancy and go with that.

As for "revealing information to the enemy"- as  my group often lacks space to put all the upgrade cards, we save the list on our phones and let our enemy know what we've got. Just so no one pulls a switcheroo mid game or gets completely blindsided by unusual effects that change their flight pattern or target priority.

I use two methods to build a list:

A) Resistence - One of my two factions is the Resistence. I only play Resistence there. Only the Sequel Era ships (T-70 and Falcon). If I build list to be stable, I go for my well tested builds and put them somehow together. If I go wild, I try pilots which I don't fly much and try to find out how they might work.

B) Scum - I buy only ships I like and try to put them on the table with unmatched enthusiasm. Nothing can be too crazy! At the moment I have 1 Firespray, 3 Protectorates, 1 Quadjumper and 1 HWK-290. Lists made of this are awesome!

2 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

I generally think of a comedy name for the list, then add pilots and upgrades to fit.

Hence "Dengar, Dengar, High Voltage" featuring a JM5K and a lot of Feedback Arrays.

I often try to name my lists as well.

Some of my favorites are "Calm Blue Ocean", "Flock of Vampires", "Get Over Here!", and "It's Not Stupid... It's Advanced!".

21 hours ago, E Chu Ta said:

I have an actual manilla folder with physical printouts of the best version(s) of every list I have any intention of playing again that I keep in my hangar (tackle box full of plastic spaceships) from which I can choose an appropriate list as determined by my own inclinations and the seriousness of the game my opponent wants to play.

I do this too.  It saves a lot of time. 

First I decide what faction.

Then pick a single ship, choose a pilot.   

Build rest of list around that.

I rarely run the same list twice.

I do have a crazy Point and Shoot scum list,  that I will repeat, that is fun and plays fast.  Matches usually last no more than 5 rounds, win or lose.

25 minutes ago, Praetorate of the Empire said:

Also, I'll use this as an opportunity to make a plug for VanderLegion's Aurora Squad Builder. It is an awesome tool, I don't have to carry any folders around to have my squads accessible at all times!

The phone squadbuilders have give me nothing but heartache, which is a **** shame. I consider listbuilding a great way to kill time.

That said, even if phone apps worked exactly as i wanted them to, I'd print out any list I was going to play with. I like the tangible.

Just now, E Chu Ta said:

The phone squadbuilders have give me nothing but heartache, which is a **** shame. I consider listbuilding a great way to kill time.

That said, even if phone apps worked exactly as i wanted them to, I'd print out any list I was going to play with. I like the tangible.

I do enjoy tangible when I actually put it on the table against someone if I don't want to just pull out all of the cards.

I see what janky anti-meta lists are being flown and modify them to my play style. I don't get a lot of time to play, so I usually only practice with one list at a time. It sits in a Feldherr tray with all stuff needed to play for quick setup.