hoodedOutrider

Stormlight Archive/Cosmere?

Fan of the books, but wondered if anyone has had thoughts using this system for an RPG based in one of the Cosmere worlds (Mainly thinking Stormlight Archive)?

Is this the right system?  Obviously split classes by orders of Radiants and have overlapping abilities.  Lots of work for sure, but is this the right way to go?

I think if the system provides not only some archetypal talent trees/careers but also the means to create and balance new ones, then it'll be the "right" system for a great number of settings.  The problem is most of us can't begin to answer your question yet because we have only a few skimpy previews to build upon, plus whatever FFG Star Wars RPG knowledge that we assume will be directly ported.

14 minutes ago, Dragonshadow said:

I think if the system provides not only some archetypal talent trees/careers but also the means to create and balance new ones, then it'll be the "right" system for a great number of settings.  The problem is most of us can't begin to answer your question yet because we have only a few skimpy previews to build upon, plus whatever FFG Star Wars RPG knowledge that we assume will be directly ported.

OR is bound by NDA. :ph34r:

I’m reading through the Core rulebook and giving serious thought to making the Stormlight Archives my setting. I think the magic system in the Core book would work for surgebinders. Rather than have Arcane, divine, and primal magic, I would list the 10 surges and the appropriate powers for each. The PC could choose 2 surges to gain powers  from.

The trick is how to track the consumption of Stormlight without creating a slog of resource management. My initial thought is to use Stormlight infused gems as a sort of ammo. For ex: Soulcast 1 cubic ft of material uses 1 gem. 3 cubic ft uses 2. The number of difficulty dice and strain cost would scale in conjunction per RAW. Perhaps there can be a talent that allows you to burn strain in lieu of a gem.

The same would go for the Lashings. 1 gem per level of Lashing.

I know that surgebinding doesn’t have such a simple correlation in the novels but I don’t think you can just hand wave  the relationship of Stormlight to magic. 

Fabrials would just be equipment that emulates powers from the existing lists, using gems at the same rate.

As far as shardblades and shardplate, I’ll just have to play test to determine damage and soak respectively. They are OP in canon so I would have to walk the line of them being awesome but not gamebreaking.

Any thoughts from those familiar with the setting?

I'd have a tiered talent they'd have to purchase to represent the oaths, one for each level (which actually works out rather well), and then the sorts of things they can do would be limited more narratively.  Personally I hate resource management in my games, I feel like it bogs things down, so I'd look for a more hand-wavey way to deal with stormlight.  Maybe have another resource next to strain to represent it, but cost the same same strain.  Then you can assign an encumberance rating to stormlight, like 1 per 10 stormlight, something like that.  You could even then make the Oath talent reduce the encumberance of stormlight to represent them being more efficient at using stormlight as they grow (increase stormlight per 1 encumberance by 2-3 per level perhaps, or more, these numbers would have to be worked out certainly).  I think a talent to burn strain in lieu of a gem would be immersion breaking (imho, but it's your table).  Perhaps as a talent representing a Nightmother boon like Lift or something.  Oh actually, the reverse would work quite well though, letting people burn stormlight instead of strain.  This would show them moving faster (2 stormlight instead of 2 strain for an extra maneuver for example), and let them do more stormlight stuff, though at double cost without affecting their strain.  I think this would make up for stormlight "magic" being much less free-form than Genesys magic, and help balance out the two.

For shardblades and shard plate, yeah they'd be a bit tough, but you could hand-wave a bit and have Shardplate be High soak, low defense(5,1?), Reinforced armor that adds a black die to all physical tasks.  It probably needs a new property as well that negates up to 3 critical hits against the wearer, but then the property ceases to function, call it Ablative?.  Shardblades would then be something like Pierce 5, Vicious 5, Crit 1, Innacurate(Unwieldy?) swords.  Then you can have talents for shardblade training that remove the inaccurate, and shardplate training that increase the Ablative property (to represent maneuvering so that the hits go towards undamaged areas of plate).  Shardplate training could also be a tiered talent (and probably should be), to remove the black die and have further levels add boost dice to represent you training in the armour and getting used to all the extra strength and agility (which was showed in the books as clearly requiring lots of training to avoid breaking things/falling over).

I think the main thing to remember about shardplate/blades is that without proper training they should be problematic equipment, causing the user issues until they train to remove those hindrances, or work around them.  This will help balance them I think, and make them work better in a campaign setting.