satkaz

GMing for new people

So, I volunteered for GMing at my FLGS a while ago, and it seemed like nobody came, so I dropped it. Today, I got a call from the owner saying that due to a mixup, 2 people found out about it and want to play. I am not sure if they want to run Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, or Force and Destiny.

I wonder if I should run the Beginner's Game first so that those two people can get a feel for the system. And if I should make them run the premades or have them go through character generation before running them.

Again, thanks for the help.

Session 0 first. Come with the Beginner Game ready but first things should be introductions, find out if this is their first time playing, and then go from there. If they're old hats at the system, then have them roll up their own characters. If not, you've got the Beginner Game. Introduce them to the narrative dice, give them each a character folio, and start the game.

Edited by awayputurwpn

9 hours ago, awayputurwpn said:

Session 0 first. Come with the Beginner Game ready but first things should be introductions, find out if this is their first time playing, and then go from there. If they're old hats at the system, then have them roll up their own characters. If not, you've got the Beginner Game. Introduce them to the narrative dice, give then reach a character folio, and start the game.

Alright, thanks for the advice.

Man, getting more nervous as the day starts to come in.

12 hours ago, satkaz said:

Alright, thanks for the advice.

Man, getting more nervous as the day starts to come in.

I run games now with a few dot point scenarios or set pieces, and no plan to connect them. The players map that out without even knowing it, just by dice rolls and their own imaginations. The system 100% has your back, so trust in it and yourself and you'll be fine.

I've made a little mini-game to play at the end of a session zero where the players are passengers on a ship in hyperspace and have to deal with some minor mystery or conflict that I can adapt to whatever classes the new players go with. If they want combat, there can be a fight in the mess deck. If they're into mysteries, there can be a minor system failure like the lights or gravity going down. And so on. I've figured this to be adaptable to any of the 3 flavours of the game for the first real session, which may take place at their eventual destination. 

On 10/18/2017 at 7:49 PM, Archlyte said:

Session 0. By all that is holy do a session 0 and make sure you don't say yes to things you hate just because you just met them. I have made this mistake and paid the price. 

Don't say yes to things you hate because you know them either.  I've made that mistake, too.   The game is as much for you as it is for them.

I am a fan of beginner games for breaking in newbs. Bring folios, bring the shortie book and mission and good to go. I have yet to run one with someone interested in SW and have them change their mind. D20, d10, and d6 players take a bit to adapt.