Cloaker

Need new mat. Please recommend your favorite and why.

32 posts in this topic

My gripmat I bought a year and a half ago is worn, and while I loved it, when measured it is short by a 1/4 inch on two sides. There is also that annoying streaking on it. 

The FFG mats are just too slippery. Too loud also.

Looking for a great high quality 3rd party mat that has the heft and non slip aspect of the Grip Mat (who looks to be no longer manufacturing) with fair price and shipping in U.S.

Thanks for any directions you guys can point me in. 

Certainly interested in third party mats for epic. I have my standard starfield mat and none of the other mats from FFG appeal to me.

12 hours ago, BlodVargarna said:

I know OP wanted 3rd party mats but I love my Endor DS2 mat. 

My favourite one too! It doesn't dominate the view and distract you and looks super cool. I really like the Starkiller Base one too but couldn't find it anywhere so had to pick up Endor

FlyingAnchors likes this

12 hours ago, BlodVargarna said:

I know OP wanted 3rd party mats but I love my Endor DS2 mat. 

I 2nd this. DS2 mat is beautiful. 

Oddly enough the Hoth mat has grown on me as well. I plan to pick that one up in the future.

Also, here’s an Empire at War screenshot that I plan to make into two 3x3 mats for a land/air Epic scenario based on an attack on an Imperial base on the planet of Felucia.  I use Inked Gaming for all my custom mat needs.

iokDY6a.jpg

Edited by weisguy119
Parakitor likes this

The reason I'm not big on Hoth, Endor, Starkiller, Bespin etc is because I think those mats look ridiculous with obstacles placed on them, and the top down perspective with the 3d ships in relation to flat surface. 

Looking for high quality space style I guess, is what I mean. Thick, and not slippery. So tough to find someone who makes them that has variety. 

Lobokai likes this

I really like my Stele Open 2016 mat (Jakku?).  Slightly thicker than the FFG ones, they just feel heftier and have square corners.  The artwork is also on point.  He's got 3 different ones and occasionally you can see one on eBay.

check this out. My friend made it. If there’s enough interest we may be able to produce and sell these. 

If you're looking for a "unique" mat, this is the one I have. I get a lot of compliments & no one in my scene has it.

It's made of the same mouse pad/neoprene material as the FFG ones, except a little thicker (maybe 3-ish mm instead of 2). The company, Unipolar Gamess, has at least one other space mat & plenty of other ground based looking ones. Love it. Nice bright colors.

Edited by Force Majeure
Cloaker likes this

On 10/17/2017 at 8:58 AM, Calibri Garamond said:

When it comes to the problem of slipping, I've found that any third party map will do just fine if you get some non-slip foam inserts under the bases, like this: https://imgur.com/a/SeFpO 

I just put the 3/8" cabinet bumpers in the corner of the bases.  Grippy as h-e-l-l !

pic1639950_lg.jpg

Edited by xanderf
gamblertuba, GrimmyV and Arttemis like this

2 hours ago, xanderf said:

I just put the 1/4" cabinet bumpers in the corner of the bases.  Grippy as h-e-l-l !

pic1639950_lg.jpg

This looks like my new favorite solution to stop sliding!  1/4" thickness or height bumpers?  It seems like these are super cheap, too, but would you mind linking to a storefront with the correct dimensions so I can know which to get?