Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hawk32

Focus vs Evade

10 posts in this topic

I know I've seen this topic posted, but I can't remember the math.  Could someone please give me the math on when it is better to take a focus vs evade for defense (ie how many green dice you need to be rolling)?

Rogue_Group1 likes this

You generally need to be rolling 4 or more green dice for a focus to be better on average than an evade.  In general a focus will net you a higher average result, but an evade always gives you at least 1 evade result and allows you to go above what your normal maximum results are.

Shockwave, DR4CO and Rogue_Group1 like this

So mathematically what is the correct call in this situation?  Is it spend the focus?

Rolling 3 green vs 3 red. with a focus/evade. 

results: Opponent has 2 hits. Green Dice:1 blank, 1 focus, 1 evade.

You'll be taking another 3 red dice attack again in the turn.  Do you spend the focus or evade?

2 minutes ago, hawk32 said:

So mathematically what is the correct call in this situation?  Is it spend the focus?

You'll be taking another 3 red dice attack again in the turn.  Do you spend the focus or evade?

Lone wolf 

or wired

or Luke.

then evade if you need it.

or just Moldy Crow with Rey and rock out with tons of focus and fly with Jan in another ship for those sweet evades.

15 minutes ago, hawk32 said:

Spend the focus.  Guaranteed to help you this roll, and evade is guaranteed to help you the next.

5 hours ago, hawk32 said:

I know I've seen this topic posted, but I can't remember the math.  Could someone please give me the math on when it is better to take a focus vs evade for defense (ie how many green dice you need to be rolling)?

3 hours ago, defkhan1 said:

<4 green dice: Evade is better

4 green dice: Focus and Evade are equivalent

>4 green dice: Focus is better

What defkhan1 said is true in mathematically. However, Focus has use outside of defense. Whether to focus/evade depend also on your relative PS and how well you are doing viz. your opponent, is your ship close to dying etc.

grandmoffjoe and defkhan1 like this

8 hours ago, RampancyTW said:

Spend the focus.  Guaranteed to help you this roll, and evade is guaranteed to help you the next.

I agree with you as long as if you already shot or don't have a shot on that turn, but if you're going to activate then I'd spend the evade first.

Edited by darthlurker
grandmoffjoe likes this

In terms of raw maths, 4+ green dice is where it edges ahead of Evade.

In gameplay terms it's often more of a choice between high/low variance, particularly if you're on 3 green dice.  An Evade token definitely stops something, a Focus token may stop everything.  Which you choose will be informed by how much health you've got left and the firepower of the attacking ships.

Magnus Grendel likes this

plus there's how confident you are that you will be attacked. If they shoot someone else instead, the focus may help with return fire.