Mantis731

Battle report - first tournament

12 posts in this topic

Hey guys, this report is a bit late. We had a tournament here in Brazil on October 7, and I think it was our first tournament of IA here, so let me contextualize a bit: we don't have a official distributor for the game and our import taxes are a bit overwhelming, so it's a obstacle to get new people in the game. I began playing around march this year, and almost immediately came here to read more about skirmish to get a idea on this mode and to learn about the units, teams,...... One friend and I began a podcast about 2, 3 months ago, and now we're expanding to articles (not just skirmish) to see if we can popularize this game around here.

The tournament was made in Campinas - São Paulo, and because we have few players with the game, the use of proxies were allowed all the way (HotE wasn't out yet, but we made at least the Fix cards for Han, Vader and Chewie thinking that then all the iconic characthers of the core were playable, well except Luke, buuuut, :P).
This isn't a report from someone that won the tournament, but that made 2-2 on 4 rounds and were really happy with our first experience here and the new fix cards.

We made 4 rounds, but we didn't used only the maps from rotation; the owner of the store pre-built the map from chewbacca's pack, and we used mats for Hangar Bay, Nelvaanian, Jabba's Palace, Anchorhead and Nal Hutta Swamps. The objective with this was not making the players worried about constructing the maps. We get 12 players, all tables full, something we didn't expect. 3 of these players were completely new to skirmish and didn't even had the core set, so all the list was borrowed/proxied (mainly command cards). I was going only with the chits of my figures (aside from Gideon/C3) but when I got there, 3 players mobilized to lend me the figures so we could all play with figures, it was really cool.

So, enough with the chit chat, my list was: http://tabletopadmiral.com/imperialassault/3e112605023a95960000000000000017121c674c779d2b9ca3069f9e9293
The idea was simple: Chewie was the character that I was most expecting a fix, and I needed to use him. The rest was pure thematic, Han and Lando for the best smugglers in the galaxy :D, gideon and C3 for the same reason as always and with the 8 points left I saw potential on the Echo base as a frontline figure for debts repaid/control objectives. It was my first experience building a command deck with all that was available since we're using proxies so it was a challenge to me to expand so greatly my collection at once.

My first match was with Y., one of the rookies and he was with: Jedi Luke, Leia, eEcho, Mak, Loku, Gideon and C3. We played the Raining Freight mission.

82d3169c-b814-47eb-bddf-197cc7183505.jpeg.755b9d6089cbfe18d97837ecac69abea.jpeg

I never played on this map, so we're equal on this. I moved my echo and lando on the left side and leave Han went last so he got position to shoot Luke already.

e1215504-c27c-4c90-93ea-d4d4eb262557.jpeg.40dfaaa8fe1c8c2126ed1a48674186d3.jpeg

The little experience I have with skirmish helped me on scoring a lot with the crates and chewie tankied and OHKO leia while finishing the two Echo. His luke pulled 3 dodges consecutively, but I got my revenge on the penult turn, when I used Smuggled Supplies for Evade on Han and he scored a 3 evades 4 blocks against Luke and dodged the second attack. There isn't much to tell about the game, apart that was a great time.

Game 2 was against T. my partner on the podcast and articles (we had to battle), and his list was: IG (FotK), Boba (prey), rHired Guns, Greedo and Jabba. (He said to me later that he only brought this list to the tournament hoping that he battled me :P, because I showed him my list the day before the tournament. The map was Anchorhead, and as I already had played the  Patrons mission and he never played on the map, I suggested that we play the crates mission, what he agreed.

5bc38f48-f635-467a-a4a4-f0b978874526.jpeg.181d909109c7f9f16406eee5deb32127.jpeg

f679a19b-290b-46ea-af56-0eae6194b2a3.jpeg.9cb32bd4ac17ef1b0503e682d5589216.jpeg
I opened the door first and he sniped one of my echos. Greedo went down first with a stun from lando (no parting shot :D), but we got the Han shoots first scene. After this, IG fell, with Lando and Han (Boba took him down). Then I played wrong and wasted my attacks on taking down the hired guns instead of Boba, if he didn't tried to defeat my chewie on the last turn and just ran I wouldn't had the chance to take down boba with chewie and winning the game. We both made many errors, but in the end his weighted a litte more, but it was a blast seeing a thematic match like that.

Game 3 was with the soon to be champion of the day, the most competitive player of our community, he used: Rancor, Beast Tamer, Shyla, Onar, eJawa, C3, BT-1 and Gideon. I was back on Nal Hutta playing mission A of the map. My problem on this game was that I never played against any of these figures (apart from BT), so I think I respected them a little too much, what resulted in him making 8 pts on turn 1 and winning the game with a 12 pts end of round even with me dominating the game by figures (a mistake I won't make again: forgetting to contest objectives with my figures).

623dcd6b-0ad9-4d04-9467-c3dbc67cd7a2.jpeg.3e8f9ed22587d581092f41690c2e20fe.jpeg

c4adc4cc-a7b8-4e48-b096-4d5699c709c2.jpeg.17d9a2291458a48b84b9a0149c9c4a83.jpeg

Edited by Mantis731
NeverBetTheFett and Isnigu like this

Game 4 was the final match of the day and I faced my training partner, and he went with my second to go list (if the Fix were not allowed): IG (FotK), BT-1, eProbe, rHK, C3, eJawa, rHired guns. The map was Hangar Bay, which I thought I were at a disadvantage. As I was a little shaken up from the last match (I really felt the pain of forgetting about the objectives on a match that could be mine) since I am competitive even when playing casual, I went completely off track with my figures, played wrong and lost the match rather quick. (just to know: my competitive side is with myself about not making mistakes, with the others I still went on casual and fun spirit :P). No pictures of this match (because I didn't know the forum had a limit of attachment).

In the end it was a really fun event (apart from my mistakes) but it was such a blast seeing the community getting together like this, and it gave me hope that we can grow yet and more inspiration for podcasts/articles around here.
FORGOT: the prizes were promo Sabs (two faced) for the top 4 and eTrandoshans for everyone else. The champion could choose one between the 3 new packs (Maul, Ahsoka, Palpa) to gain.

This was my first report ever of a tournament, so it must be pretty bad and I don't know how my english is too (I'm a little rusty) but I hope that you might enjoy something of this mess of text :P. Final considerations: wanna play with this list again, really liked both fix and I'm so glad that Chewie is a playable characther. My next version of this list I'll drop the eEcho for Hera and Chopper (opening space for Heroic effort and Balance of the force).

I'm out

Special thanks for this great forum that made me invest on skirmish and for @dietz057 that was my main inspiration to begin with the content creation even being a beginner in the game.

Some photos with the ranking and lists (on the comments section):
https://www.facebook.com/pg/ComandoIMP/photos/?tab=album&album_id=693627730826142

Edited by Mantis731

This was a wonderful read- and your English is fine! Kudos to you for growing the scene over there in Brasil. I went to Florianopolis  about a decade ago myself and I miss the Guarana drink :) keep up the good work!

Mantis731 likes this

4 hours ago, TheWelcomeMat88 said:

This was a wonderful read- and your English is fine! Kudos to you for growing the scene over there in Brasil. I went to Florianopolis  about a decade ago myself and I miss the Guarana drink :) keep up the good work!

Thanks man :D, we'll try our best, and yeah, the Guarana is a good exclusivity :P

TheWelcomeMat88 likes this

Nice one! Looks like a full thematic tournament. Must have been a blast to play :) and... NO WEEQUAYS ;)

Very nice! It's hard trying to build a community. Laid back tournaments where people go to have fun is one of the better ways in my opinion.

Mantis731 likes this

6 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

I don't see any proxy's in the photos. Or do you mean you used proxy cards, not miniatures?

It was mainly command cards and the new fix from HotE, but we ended up didn't using proxy for miniatures because everyone that already have the game made an effort to lend their minis for other players and everyone was able to play with the official minis. Except for one player that used 2 jawas and used the minis from other game (I guess) because they looked more the tiny jawas of the movies.
11LIsk7JS6L.jpg

5 hours ago, Isnigu said:

Very nice! It's hard trying to build a community. Laid back tournaments where people go to have fun is one of the better ways in my opinion.

Exactly, as @Szycha said, no Weequays :P, even the most competitive player turned down for the fun of the game and for the new players, it was a great day seeing the fun in everyone faces.

4 hours ago, ryanjamal said:

Great job growing the game! Hope you guys can keep the scene going! 12 players for the first tourney is awesome! 

-ryanjamal 

Thanks, we're trying, and yes, me and the store owner were very happy about getting 12 players (being 3 new in skirmish), gonna keep you guys posted for more events.

And now you know that if you ever come to Brazil there's some places that you could play. All are welcome :D