Pooleman

X-Wing is Awesome

59 minutes ago, Timathius said:

Actually, I find quite the opposite is the best way to handle this. With politics for example, I lean very left. But I will 100% call out people on the left who are acting in a toxic and unproductive manner not just ignore them. You should be calling out these people that are tarnishing your argument with their behavior. Blindly agreeing with them justifies and reinforces their behavior just as much as their message. 

And these are the people I respect most of all -- most people are only willing to point out the hypocrisy on the "other" side of the debate (any debate). Kudos, good sir.

9 hours ago, Stoneface said:

Did you key on the section of the interview where, Alex Davy, I think, said until recently they had little input on what ships to develop? Obviously the ship's in the movies take precedence but it makes you wonder about some of the releases. Auzituck, Lancet, Jumpmaster to name a few.

Well, the Auzituck and Lancet were featured in Rebels, so they are sorta tie-ins.  Jumpmaster makes sense with all the other "famous bounty hunter" ships that are at least EU.  For me, it's more the Scyk, Kihrazx, and Kilomoga.

And, I suppose if most of the time I don't get a choice, I also would probably to to go as far afield as possible.

I kinda like that all the new SW stuff is kinda nicely cross pollinated. . .Hera shows up in RO, the Defender gets highlighted in Rebels, et. al.  And it doesn't feel as shoe-horned as the Prequels.

Vader:

Luke, I am your father!!

And C-3PO?  I built him.  Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

And R2-D2?  He's my old astromech.  Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

And the Princess?  She's my daughter.  Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

And Rex?  He was my captain.  Oh, my captain!  Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

And Ben?  He's my old teacher.  Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

And Yoda?  He was my mentor, too.  Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

And Lando?  Well, I don't know him that well, but now I owe him money.  When I figure out how he cheated. . .anyways:

And Senator Palpatine?  He's my boss.  Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

And Kevin Bacon?  I met him once.  That gives me one degree of separation.  Can you beat that??  CAN YOU???

17 minutes ago, Pooleman said:

I think a hug is in order. Perhaps some gentle spooning?

Maybe just a begrudging handshake?

I rail against the complainers because they're not accomplishing anything.  Let's take Nym as an example.  It's not like the complainers have said, "Man, I think Nym is broken and here is why" once or twice.  They've been saying it since his release, non-stop.  Seldom is there any solutioning going on, it's usually complaints about the game design, insulting the game designers, casting dispersion at those who play him, etc.  If solutioning does occur, it's usually something in the game redesign realm like, "What if this card did this instead of that?"...as if their suggestion is actually going to make an impact or be considered by the game design team.  

I just don't know what they expect the rest of us to do.  What if we all agree that Nym is broken?  I can get behind that.  He seems pretty broken and meta-warping.  Now what?  

15 minutes ago, gennataos said:

Maybe just a begrudging handshake?

I rail against the complainers because they're not accomplishing anything.  Let's take Nym as an example.  It's not like the complainers have said, "Man, I think Nym is broken and here is why" once or twice.  They've been saying it since his release, non-stop.  Seldom is there any solutioning going on, it's usually complaints about the game design, insulting the game designers, casting dispersion at those who play him, etc.  If solutioning does occur, it's usually something in the game redesign realm like, "What if this card did this instead of that?"...as if their suggestion is actually going to make an impact or be considered by the game design team.  

I just don't know what they expect the rest of us to do.  What if we all agree that Nym is broken?  I can get behind that.  He seems pretty broken and meta-warping.  Now what?  

I think prior to the any match you can come up with your own parameters to “fix” Nym. Limiting the points you can assign to him, etc. nothing is perfect. 

32 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Well, the Auzituck and Lancet were featured in Rebels, so they are sorta tie-ins.  Jumpmaster makes sense with all the other "famous bounty hunter" ships that are at least EU.  For me, it's more the Scyk, Kihrazx, and Kilomoga.

And, I suppose if most of the time I don't get a choice, I also would probably to to go as far afield as possible.

I kinda like that all the new SW stuff is kinda nicely cross pollinated. . .Hera shows up in RO, the Defender gets highlighted in Rebels, et. al.  And it doesn't feel as shoe-horned as the Prequels.

Vader:

Luke, I am your father!!

And C-3PO?  I built him.  Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

And R2-D2?  He's my old astromech.  Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

And the Princess?  She's my daughter.  Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

And Rex?  He was my captain.  Oh, my captain!  Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

And Ben?  He's my old teacher.  Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

And Yoda?  He was my mentor, too.  Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

And Lando?  Well, I don't know him that well, but now I owe him money.  When I figure out how he cheated. . .anyways:

And Senator Palpatine?  He's my boss.  Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

And Kevin Bacon?  I met him once.  That gives me one degree of separation.  Can you beat that??  CAN YOU???

The Auzituck had what, 15 seconds on screen. The Lancer had a bigger role in two or three episodes. I thought the EU was now lore per Disney but I agree the the Jump fits in. The S & V ships you mentioned? I never read much about Star Wars so they remain a mystery as to their origin.

52 minutes ago, gennataos said:

And before Nym and bombs, the game was perfect.

No, wait. . .it was TLT and Palp.

Or Phantoms and Fat Han.

Or PWTs.

If you don't like the complaint, just wait a wave, and it will be different.

These ships are only broken if you play to WAAC (and by that, I only mean that the list is built only for achieving a victory state).  If you play for theme, narrative, or Epic, suddenly everything is fine.  Heck, even the Imperials are fine.

16 minutes ago, Stoneface said:

The Auzituck had what, 15 seconds on screen. The Lancer had a bigger role in two or three episodes. I thought the EU was now lore per Disney but I agree the the Jump fits in. The S & V ships you mentioned? I never read much about Star Wars so they remain a mystery as to their origin.

Well, I have an original copy of Star Wars Gamer #7 that was delivered by the USPS to my door in 2001.  And the cards from Decipher's SWCCG from the late '90s.

So, sometimes it just depends on your level of geekery just how "familiar" they are.

My weak spot is the video game ships, because I'm not into those forms of gaming.

X-wing is a fun game, right?

I'll be honest; I'm guilty of being a bit hostile to the complainers earlier this year. Now I generally have zero issue with people expressing their thoughts on a game they are invested in on the official forums; freedom of speech is a good thing and in all fairness this place is the most likely place for FFG to go for feedback. My life was in a bit of a mess earlier this year with my former business partner and housemate making my life a living **** over his, frankly, unstable behavior and attitudes towards toy soldiers and plastic spaceships. I got really pissed at some of the complainers as it felt like my escape from how crap life was involved trawling through a forum of hate until I finally got out of work to avoid going home and ****** some games in when I could. It's not their fault I reacted badly to it at all; complain away chaps and apologies if I bit at you! 

But the one thing I still find frustrating is how much of an echo chamber the internet seems to be. It's started to spill over into real life now and I'm tired of people at tournaments moaning "net list", "broken", "OP", "foregone conclusion with THAT list" when they barley play the game. Well, yes I have a mindlink list; when it first came out the same people were sniggering about a "stress meta" before I crushed them with it. Now it's broken and OP and of course I'm going to win/beat them/do well with such a broken card in my list. Why? Because a bunch of vocal people on the internet said so? Or because I play this list a LOT whilst you're off playing Pokemon or 40K? So very frustrating. I'd so much rather people could think for themselves instead of scrolling through the forums and taking the complaints as gospel before regurgitating them at events. 

I love X-Wing; I really do. It's the game that saved me from the darkness of where my life was going before I returned to wargaming. I do agree it has some balance issues but for it's primarily been about having fun. Complain, theorize, talk tactics... do whatever you want but respect everyone else's fun. 

Disclaimer: I only really seem to get the (IRL) negativity at one place in particular. Most of the events I've been to this year have been fun but a couple seem infested with passive aggression and a disdain for playing competitively at a competitive event.

2 hours ago, Smutpedler said:

I'll be honest; I'm guilty of being a bit hostile to the complainers earlier this year. Now I generally have zero issue with people expressing their thoughts on a game they are invested in on the official forums; freedom of speech is a good thing and in all fairness this place is the most likely place for FFG to go for feedback. My life was in a bit of a mess earlier this year with my former business partner and housemate making my life a living **** over his, frankly, unstable behavior and attitudes towards toy soldiers and plastic spaceships. I got really pissed at some of the complainers as it felt like my escape from how crap life was involved trawling through a forum of hate until I finally got out of work to avoid going home and ****** some games in when I could. It's not their fault I reacted badly to it at all; complain away chaps and apologies if I bit at you! 

But the one thing I still find frustrating is how much of an echo chamber the internet seems to be. It's started to spill over into real life now and I'm tired of people at tournaments moaning "net list", "broken", "OP", "foregone conclusion with THAT list" when they barley play the game. Well, yes I have a mindlink list; when it first came out the same people were sniggering about a "stress meta" before I crushed them with it. Now it's broken and OP and of course I'm going to win/beat them/do well with such a broken card in my list. Why? Because a bunch of vocal people on the internet said so? Or because I play this list a LOT whilst you're off playing Pokemon or 40K? So very frustrating. I'd so much rather people could think for themselves instead of scrolling through the forums and taking the complaints as gospel before regurgitating them at events. 

I love X-Wing; I really do. It's the game that saved me from the darkness of where my life was going before I returned to wargaming. I do agree it has some balance issues but for it's primarily been about having fun. Complain, theorize, talk tactics... do whatever you want but respect everyone else's fun. 

Disclaimer: I only really seem to get the (IRL) negativity at one place in particular. Most of the events I've been to this year have been fun but a couple seem infested with passive aggression and a disdain for playing competitively at a competitive event.

No one is arguing against ones right to freely express themselves. I will say that being overly negative or focusing on the 5-10% that’s wrong with the game can ruin the 90% that’s right about it. People I have been griping about anymore being overpowered. I thought it was nonsense until I flew him for the first time on Friday. It was boring playing with him. I ripped my opponent to shreds without taking any damage. I don’t think I’ll be flying that ship again just because it’s boring and frankly, the ship is ugly and not very StarWarsy. 

22 minutes ago, Pooleman said:

No one is arguing against ones right to freely express themselves. I will say that being overly negative or focusing on the 5-10% that’s wrong with the game can ruin the 90% that’s right about it. People I have been griping about anymore being overpowered. I thought it was nonsense until I flew him for the first time on Friday. It was boring playing with him. I ripped my opponent to shreds without taking any damage. I don’t think I’ll be flying that ship again just because it’s boring and frankly, the ship is ugly and not very StarWarsy. 

Not saying anyone is; simply expanding on my paragraph. I agree with the rest of your post. 

Maybe I didn't explain myself too well. Maybe it's just... internet. 

2 hours ago, Smutpedler said:

You are only allowed to give 50 likes per day. You cannot give any more likes today.

So I introduced a workplace proximity associate to the game today before work began (and a little into our shift) and the last thing he said was "X-Wing is Awesome". Hoping to get him involved in our Thursday and Friday night Games. Anyway, just further confirmation that X-Wing is indeed awesome.