Jump to content
Pooleman

X-Wing is Awesome

Recommended Posts

Its just like the old timers asking for "the good ole days". They want the game to just be Xwing, Tie Fighters, Bwing, Awings, and TIE Advance, all with just single actions again.

The game isn't perfect, and some things need to be corrected, but overall I think the game is in a lot better place than it was a year ago with Dengaroo and Trip boats ruling the roost with NPE. A year before that was unstoppable Palp Aces. You only had a few competitive lists at that time. Right now, you have a lot of variety in competitive lists, and casual players should be as happy as fat guy at all-you-eat buffet with the amount of ships they can put on the table.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Pooleman said:

So I am relatively new here but I have to say that I see a lot of gripping about the game and I just don't understand why. X-Wing is awesome!!! I think about it a lot. I spend countless hours at the office ignoring my work to build new Rebel Squads. Every time I buy a new expansion I delete all my squads and start all over again. Granted the game isn't perfect but it's so much fun. So to all the haters: Quit yer bitchin' and just enjoy the game.

 

That is all.

Oh you sweet summer child. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You should consider two points:

1. Maybe you have not yet experienced what frustrates so many people.

2. You were drawn in by the game in its current bombwing/turretwing state. But there are many players who started in a different game where arcs and maneuvers mattered more than they currently do.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

You should consider two points:

1. Maybe you have not yet experienced what frustrates so many people.

2. You were drawn in by the game in its current bombwing/turretwing state. But there are many players who started in a different game where arcs and maneuvers mattered more than they currently do.

I've been playing the game since Wave 3, and it's still my favourite way to enjoy a rainy afternoon.  Or a sunny one, for that matter.

That said, there's certainly a few whiners in desperate need of winding their necks in frequenting the forum at the moment.  Let's call them a "vocal minority".

Edited by FTS Gecko

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's little quite as irritating, in this context at least, than being told your criticisms or complaints are 'hating' and that you should either 'just enjoy the game' or, even worse, 'just quit the game'. It's one thing to have a more positive outlook than some of the longer-standing players, but it's quite another to be condescending about it. It puts your viewpoint in a very poor light and doesn't exactly endear those you criticise to your position.

As for X-Wing, yes, it has the capacity to still be an enjoyable game, but it has reached the point where a degree of effort *has* to be made to make it so, rather than it being inherent - such as playing with like-minded friends who don't automatically go straight to meta filth, or playing a HotAC campaign, or some other alternate variant like Hunger Games or Mario Kart. Like it or not, the game is quite unbalanced at the moment, and the design direction FFG have been taking with the last few waves and releases has been quite contrary to what a lot of folk want: that is, older ships and upgrades replaced with increasingly better versions in a worrying display of power creep, rather than fixing the older ones. What is most telling of all is that the titular ship, the X-Wing, is nowhere to be seen except for Biggs (since his ability is so busted that it transcends the comparatively weak chassis it's on), and it has been the case for what is now a troubling number of years with no sign of anything being done about it.

No one reasonable wants the game to be 'just X-Wings and TIE Fighters' - that is a straw man argument that attempts to discredit any valid concerns. What is desired is a game where more of its content can be used at a competitive level without 'auto-losing' to certain ships or archetypes, and where fewer options are so obviously under or over-costed for their capabilities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

I've been playing the game since Wave 3, and it's still my favourite way to enjoy a rainy afternoon.  Or a sunny one, for that matter.

That said, there's certainly a few whiners in desperate need of winding their necks in frequenting the forum at the moment.  Let's call them a "vocal minority".

O...k...? No offense intended, but that's nice for you. I, too, still like the game most of the time. That doesn't change anything - there are many people being very frustrated with the game in its current form, for all kinds of reasons.

It was February this year that I reposted and repeated SOTLs most important blogpost again and again and again. And all four factors he mentioned turned out to be important. Currently mechanics creep is extreme with Nym, but so is complexity creep and theme. At this point we just accepted the neverending powercreep...

I understand that there are people in a vocal minority that are annoying as heck. But there are also those that are frustrated and turning away for very good reasons. Reasons that you personally might not agree with - yet - but that clearly show a path where I for example don't want to follow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jehovah Netto said:

Yes it is. As an Imperial Loyalist, FGG should give us a break... but the game is so great anyway, se shall keep pressing forward.

If the gunboat is as good as a lot of people seem to think it will be, our time is coming.  It would warm the black gaping void in the center of my chest to see more than one Imperial list in the top 16 next year.

 

"The dark side is strong in me, for I am Sith."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, MalusCalibur said:

As for X-Wing, yes, it has the capacity to still be [is] an enjoyable game, but it has reached the point where a degree of effort *has* to be made to make it so, rather than it being inherent - such as playing with like-minded friends who don't automatically go straight to meta filth, or playing a HotAC campaign, or some other alternate variant like Hunger Games or Mario Kart. Like it or not, the [tournament sport] game is quite unbalanced at the moment, and the design direction FFG have been taking with the last few waves and releases has been quite contrary to what a lot of folk want.

FTFY.

I have a hoot every time I play.  And I am constantly thinking of ways to jazz up my games.

If you don't think the game is awesome, you are doing it wrong.

Edited by Darth Meanie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was pretty sour a month ago, but I've decided to let that go and just play. Start looking at it as a puzzle to solve. I don't like Nym, I don't flying him or against him. But I got to figure him out as he is very, very popular locally. I have a new tactic I'm going to try tomorrow and we will see how it goes. I HATE bombs with every fiber of my being.

But I love the game, I look forward to listening to the Gold Squadron, Krayts, Mynocks, and Scum & Villany and don't remember the last time I really listened to music on my commute. I get a little frustrated with the different mechanics sometimes, but I keep working at it. One player mentioned he's surprised I can make A-Wings work as well as I do in the current meta. My W/L ratio has been dropping hard since Nym with my trust little fighters, but I'm still enjoying it.

things that frustrate me:

Bombs, Miranada, Nym, Kylo, frakin Tractor beaming shadowcasters, and TLT spam.

Things I love:

A-Wings, the banter, Phantoms, and janky gimmicks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

O...k...? No offense intended, but that's nice for you. I, too, still like the game most of the time. That doesn't change anything - there are many people being very frustrated with the game in its current form, for all kinds of reasons.

It was February this year that I reposted and repeated SOTLs most important blogpost again and again and again. And all four factors he mentioned turned out to be important. Currently mechanics creep is extreme with Nym, but so is complexity creep and theme. At this point we just accepted the neverending powercreep...

I understand that there are people in a vocal minority that are annoying as heck. But there are also those that are frustrated and turning away for very good reasons. Reasons that you personally might not agree with - yet - but that clearly show a path where I for example don't want to follow.

While I agree with some of your comments, consider this. There have been complaints about Nym, Dengaroo, Triple Jumps, Palo Aces, etc., etc., etc.. See a pattern here? Every wave brings complainers. This goes all the way back to the original Phantom and to the Tie Swarm. The lack of patience is "disturbing". The game changes with every wave. Get use to it. 

On top of complaining, they insult the designers! At times it's like listening to three year olds fighting over the last cherry popsicle with one calling the other a "poop head". IT'S A FRIGGIN GAME! GET OVER YOURSELVES!

Can this game be frustrating at times? Most definitely! Is there any reason to insult the devs? NEVER! I'll make the assumption that most of us are adults but from some of the posts it's hard to tell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Stoneface said:

On top of complaining, they insult the designers! At times it's like listening to three year olds fighting over the last cherry popsicle <>

Yeah, that bothers me, too.  I mean, first, I'm no game designer, and I'm sure it's harder than it looks.  Plus, there are only 3 guys working on this thing (which actually surprises me quite a bit, if it is their Holy Grail of a Game).

And as far as ice cream analogies go, I think it's more like a bunch of 3-y-os ******* over a tub of Neapolitan, all saying their favorite ribbon doesn't taste as good as the other two flavors in the carton. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Yeah, that bothers me, too.  I mean, first, I'm no game designer, and I'm sure it's harder than it looks.  Plus, there are only 3 guys working on this thing (which actually surprises me quite a bit, if it is their Holy Grail of a Game).

 

On the other hand though, if your work made you (somewhat) famous, you should expect it to be judged.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LordBlades said:

On the other hand though, if your work made you (somewhat) famous, you should expect it to be judged.

Being judged nd being insulted are two vastly different things.

There's a link to a podcast interview with all three devs that everyone should listen to. It might be eye opening to the critics. Then again it might make no difference to those with closed minds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Yeah, that bothers me, too.  I mean, first, I'm no game designer, and I'm sure it's harder than it looks.  Plus, there are only 3 guys working on this thing (which actually surprises me quite a bit, if it is their Holy Grail of a Game).

And as far as ice cream analogies go, I think it's more like a bunch of 3-y-os ******* over a tub of Neapolitan, all saying their favorite ribbon doesn't taste as good as the other two flavors in the carton. ;)

The kicker is that at least one of them works on other games in addition to X-wing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...