MacchuWA

Nym players: would you still run him if Bomblet Generator only rolled one die?

41 posts in this topic

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:11 PM, MacchuWA said:

Obviously, I'm talking about those who play the standard advanced sensors, Genius, VI, Bomblet Nym. If you're currently playing Nym in some other configuration without Bomblet, more power to you, but obviously your build would be unaffected by this change.

I don't play Nym personally, but it feels like this might be a good change to diminish his OPness of both Nym and Bomblet Generator.

Regarding the card in isolation, for three points, Bomblets should not be as far ahead of seismics as they are - on average damage, a bomblet pays for itself if you drop more than one, and that's not hard to do. Dropping it down to one die would mean on average damage you'd have to drop three to be worth more than seismic, which seems about right. It means that Bomblet stops being autoinclude whee it's available and the alternative options are seismics or other reveal bombs, without rendering it irrelevant.

As far as the standard Nym combo goes, he suddenly becomes far less threatening, much more in line with where he ought to be. Your high agility aces (think Soontir, but also Inquisitor etc.) now can't catch a pair of unlucky bombs and be destroyed, now they need at least three (excluding the effects of crits I guess) and you need to be very unlucky - 5 or 6 is probably more realistic, and Nym should have died by then. Doesn't mean that Nym is completely useless - that area denial is still effective, but it's not an autowin any more - you need other damage dealing mechanisms to handle those lists as well. 

Best part is, FFG could make this change without changing the printed cards, just the rules reference card, which they've been more willing to do in the past (see Phantom nerf).

Does this seem fair? Would it open up the meta a bit more if Nym was less dominant? And are there any other, better changes that could be made (short of stripping his EPT, which I agree shouldn't have been there in the first place but, Reddit FAQ notwithstanding, history has shown FFG is unwilling to do).

Has anyone else ever had the sneaking suspicion that FFG creates threads like these to gauge reactions to potential FAQ errata's?

We know it's you Alex! 

(joking)

11 hours ago, eagletsi111 said:

Bomblet should be a dual card, that you flip when you deploy a bomb and flip it back at the end of next turn.   Then , so you cannot drop bombs two turns in a row.    that's the simplest fix

Or an intensity-style dual card - "action - flip this card over during the cleanup phase" type effect, so dropping the bomb costs an action for reloads, and, if course, your have to drop it before you can reload, so it's an every-other-turn-at-best effect, and one that eats up a bombers actions to do it.

You'd have to be careful with the bomb, because wasting it would risk not having it on a really good turn later.

Too late for it now, but I think you were onto something there.

Edited by Reiver

Yes.

Absolutely I would, the Bomblet isn't the most important part of Nym for me, the PS10 TLT kite is.

I'm halfway to wondering about takign Bomblet off entirely TBH and just putting in Dengar crew.  Better for the occasional primary shots when you do get them.

No. One dice would be imho not enough. Though I might be wrong on that, after all one dice is nasty enough for agility based mitigation ships and you can block a decent amount of space with it. 

Now at the other hand, only applying hits and ignoring criticals would be not a bad nerf imho. Not allowing Sabine on bomblets would be fine as well. 

Astech likes this

I personally find Nym fine as he is, as he has a very hard counter - ion weapons. And ion turret, in particular (especially on a Zeb equipped Ghost) is pretty much the end of him - no bombs, no advanced sensors.

The bomblet generator itself is a different matter entirely. It's easily the best of the drop on reveal bombs, with only Conner Nets rivalling it overall (due to the massive control element). I think @SEApocalypse has the right idea with ignoring critical hits. Failing that, a bump to 4 points could also help significantly.

4 minutes ago, Astech said:

I personally find Nym fine as he is, as he has a very hard counter - ion weapons. And ion turret, in particular (especially on a Zeb equipped Ghost) is pretty much the end of him - no bombs, no advanced sensors.

The bomblet generator itself is a different matter entirely. It's easily the best of the drop on reveal bombs, with only Conner Nets rivalling it overall (due to the massive control element). I think @SEApocalypse has the right idea with ignoring critical hits. Failing that, a bump to 4 points could also help significantly.

Cluster Mines are also a strong rival, especially with Sabine.  they can do a LOT of damage.

SEApocalypse likes this

1 hour ago, thespaceinvader said:

Cluster Mines are also a strong rival, especially with Sabine.  they can do a LOT of damage.

Especially since they now apply critical hits ^_^

8 hours ago, Astech said:

However Ion does NOT prevent Genius bombs which is one of the biggest complaints about Nym

I  definitely would be in favor of giving Genius the X7 treatment and may not be used when overlapping a ship/obstacle  (hardly an unreasonable nerf for a 0pt upgrade)

I still don't see the problem. Nym has 1 green dice and dies fast to focus fire. The sooner you kill him the fewer bombs he puts out. Last tournament I played I ran into him in 3 games; he didn't survive any of them and landed a whole 3 bombs on me. I won two, but lost to the Nym/Dengar pairing.

Image result for star wars problem?

Just kill him, problem over.

RoV

Edited by Rat of Vengence
ABXY likes this

6 hours ago, Rat of Vengence said:

I still don't see the problem. Nym has 1 green dice and dies fast to focus fire. The sooner you kill him the fewer bombs he puts out. Last tournament I played I ran into him in 3 games; he didn't survive any of them and landed a whole 3 bombs on me. I won two, but lost to the Nym/Dengar pairing.

Image result for star wars problem?

Just kill him, problem over.

RoV

The trouble is that when you're playing certain lists (say, a TIE swarm, B-wings, or anything without either a turret or enormous maneuverability) Nym is capable of dodging all your Arcs, every turn, regardless of what you dial in. If you do happen to get 1 or 2 shots on him he can shrug it off due to his ridiculous hull value.

2 hours ago, Astech said:

The trouble is that when you're playing certain lists (say, a TIE swarm, B-wings, or anything without either a turret or enormous maneuverability) Nym is capable of dodging all your Arcs, every turn, regardless of what you dial in. If you do happen to get 1 or 2 shots on him he can shrug it off due to his ridiculous hull value.

There's some truth to that (but if you are only getting 1-2 shots with a Tie swarm there might be bigger issues :P), but I haven't seen a Tie swarm or B-Wings outside casual play in quite some time, so you can hardly blame Nym for that...

Image result for tie fighter tie

Edited by Rat of Vengence
JJ48 likes this

1 hour ago, Rat of Vengence said:

There's some truth to that (but if you are only getting 1-2 shots with a Tie swarm there might be bigger issues :P), but I haven't seen a Tie swarm or B-Wings outside casual play in quite some time, so you can hardly blame Nym for that...

That's such a lovely TIE...

The thing with Nym is that having a couple of PS 9 PTL aces accomplishes equally little - he can still evade their arcs with ease, and his bombs hurt more, to boot. When Kylo comes out he'll probably be running VI, and that'll be the end of Nym, but until then he'll whip any firing arc limited squad of PS 10 or lower.

17 hours ago, Rat of Vengence said:

Image result for tie fighter tie

TIE swarm?  More like tie swarm!

...that sounded a lot cleverer in my head.

Rat of Vengence likes this

Miranda with Bomblet Generator and Sabine is more obnoxious than Nym. So yeah, I could change up his bomb choices and not really care and it’d help nerf Miranda.