Favoritism Flight Games

Why does Nym have an EPT?

90 posts in this topic

people get too hung up on the K/punisher comparisons, or on the whole "heavy bomber" archetype which simply isn't a thing

the poor punisher just...sucks

the K is built around a unique ASLAM gimmick (that still hasn't been errated out) and Miranda is already far more busted than nym and didn't need any help from him to be the runner up at worlds twice. PS 10 miranda would be utter stupidity, especially considering her ability to regenerate makes her far and away more durable than Nym could ever hope to be

Plus, Scurrgs are more like an A-10 then a B-25. Basically, the Scurrg is an assault craft, while the others are more like medium bombers.

the problem with Nym not having an ept is that the other SCURRG need their ept to be relevent

personally, I don't give a flying **** if the highest PS doesn't have an ept and the lower PS do. Gameplay > fluff all day, every day.

but you just know people would raise a stink about it

Edited by ficklegreendice
Lobokai, Squark and Arma Quattro like this

Yeah, it's kinda silly though.

While having a high skill flying a ship might make you more likely to have an EPT(which I see as having picked up an extra special skill), it doesn't necessarily mean you'll have one.

You could be a very skilled pilot, but be extremely rigid in your training and flying style that you never pick up a neat trick.

1xm0tn.jpg

To answer your question though...yes he would still see play. Absolutely. 

He still has every other game mechanic that a ship can have besides Cannons. 

The EPT isnt the problem.....no one thing is the problem....

Highlighted below in red is the problem.

They tried to balance a ship that can do EVERYTHING...with 1 green dice. 

Point cost is irrelevant for game balance when many of the best cards in the game cost between 0 and 3 pts while TLT is undercosted by about 6 pts (its pretty much the Punishing 1 Title).

G57n5iK.png

mCgNh9g.png

The dial highlights itself....

swx65_dial.png

The Scrugg doesnt really even seem like a ship to be honest, its just every single ship in the game smashed into one.

If it had 2 less hull it might be balanced. At that point it would still be a B-Wing just with bombs and a turret and a crew and a ept and a completely unreasonable dial and a astromech...

Here is what alternate universe Nym looks like....its name is Nera...

nera.jpg

Nera Dantels — B-Wing 26
Expertise 4
Fire-Control System 2
Plasma Torpedoes 3
Extra Munitions 2
Guidance Chips 0

Ship Total: 37

It can do One thing twice, and then it turns into popcorn. 

Edited by Boom Owl

7 minutes ago, Boom Owl said:

1xm0tn.jpg

To answer your question though...yes he would still see play. Absolutely. 

He still has every other game mechanic that a ship can have besides Cannons. 

While I appreciate the sentiment, Kylo's performance in the meta is still sub par. Builds with him in it lose to just about everything.. I've said it before. If Tyler Tipperooo can't place with it at large premier events, no one can.. Actually, what is Phil Horny playing these days?

Anyway, Nym has an EPT because it moves ships. 

On October 14, 2017 at 1:14 PM, Rinzler in a Tie said:

While I appreciate the sentiment, Kylo's performance in the meta is still sub par. Builds with him in it lose to just about everything.. I've said it before. If Tyler Tipperooo can't place with it at large premier events, no one can.. Actually, what is Phil Horny playing these days?

Anyway, Nym has an EPT because it moves ships. 

Agreed, just saying Kylo is 1 of exactly 2 imperial approaches to dealing with Nym. Jumpmasters, Biggs, and Miranda are just a big a part of the reason why Imps are poorly represented. 

Edited by Boom Owl

2 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

people get too hung up on the K/punisher comparisons, or on the whole "heavy bomber" archetype which simply isn't a thing

the poor punisher just...sucks

the K is built around a unique ASLAM gimmick (that still hasn't been errated out) and Miranda is already far more busted than nym and didn't need any help from him to be the runner up at worlds twice. PS 10 miranda would be utter stupidity, especially considering her ability to regenerate makes her far and away more durable than Nym could ever hope to be

I dunno, they're very similar high HP low agility, ordinance carriers. I think the comparison is fair, which is why the question is so important. Why does the Scum heavy bomber get an EPT when Rebels and Imperials do not? I just don't get how Brooks and Davy can be so blind as to not see how messed up this ship is. I agree with you on Miranda, we'll see how she survives once the ASlam changes come through.

I think Nym would still be good at PS 8. He wouldn't be broken OMGAUTOINCLUDEINEVERYLIST, but he would still have his uses. He's still a very flexible platform with a VERY good pilot ability.

Gilarius and MalusCalibur like this

2 hours ago, Zazaa said:

VI is good on him. I like he can drop bombs more effectively and shoot first. It is easily to be destroyed really, agility 1 is not that hard to knock out. 

veteran instincts is what makes him broken though

Hos likes this

PS 8 AS bomblets and ACT with AC are both still pretty rough.  Maybe a different build that doesn’t rely on PS...

would this let PS9 aces come back into the game?  I doubt it.

57 minutes ago, Vontoothskie said:

veteran instincts is what makes him broken though

In what way? So you have to use bomb placement strategy better vs a nymdengar or imps (which at ps 11  they don't care about anyway, they just get a point or two back to upgrade missiles).

Every other list in meta wing right now doesn't give a hoot if nym is ps 8 or 10 because he already out ps's them all

The ept is not the issue.

Just like the jumpmasters problem is not the Ept, is not the white sloop, is not the barrel roll, or even the agromech. Its all of the above combined with a.....turret.

Nyms problem is the turret. Ps10 with advance sensors is not a problem, see VI corran. But able to dodge at will and still get shots EVERY ROUND is the problem. 

Take the turret away with havoc title and Nym gets balanced instantly. Surprised any playtesting even allowed adv sensors tlt ps10 to make it through. 

I flew a lot of sabine attack shuttle with TLT, VI, chewie, hull upgrade. I always just said if sabine could could get to PS 9 instead of 7 it would be so broken. They did that with Nym.

1 hour ago, wurms said:

The ept is not the issue.

Just like the jumpmasters problem is not the Ept, is not the white sloop, is not the barrel roll, or even the agromech. Its all of the above combined with a.....turret.

Nyms problem is the turret. Ps10 with advance sensors is not a problem, see VI corran. But able to dodge at will and still get shots EVERY ROUND is the problem. 

Take the turret away with havoc title and Nym gets balanced instantly. Surprised any playtesting even allowed adv sensors tlt ps10 to make it through. 

I flew a lot of sabine attack shuttle with TLT, VI, chewie, hull upgrade. I always just said if sabine could could get to PS 9 instead of 7 it would be so broken. They did that with Nym.

That's a fair opinion, and you may be right. Turrets certainly do have every advantage over arc-bound ships.

Nyxen likes this

10 hours ago, Zazaa said:

VI is good on him. I like he can drop bombs more effectively and shoot first. It is easily to be destroyed really, agility 1 is not that hard to knock out. 

Can’t shoot him if he purposely bumps and drops a bomb on you or if he Arc dodges you. He also has 10 hit points. Only small base ship with that many...

I’m so sick of bombs (mines) being part of a dogfight game, let alone a way to just win over star fighters. Yet another stupid thing to come out of the prequels. 

Of course in the prequels they were evaded... no clue why they can’t be now. 

Edited by Lobokai

12 hours ago, ficklegreendice said:

the problem with Nym not having an ept is that the other SCURRG need their ept to be relevent

personally, I don't give a flying **** if the highest PS doesn't have an ept and the lower PS do. Gameplay > fluff all day, every day.

but you just know people would raise a stink about it

People will raise a stink about anything. Like, he has an EPT, he doesn't have an EPT, he's a small based ship, he's a large based ship. They really don't need or want a reason.