Quizoid

Which Clan Roles can you use?

I'm just trying to make sense of all this, so, correct me if I'm wrong.

• Currently, any clan can use any roll.
  • After Winter Court 2017, each clan will be bonded to a single roll.
  • At each specific event, clan roll choices may vary.
    • At Winter Court 2017, each clan has one roll to choose from.
    • At Court of the Dragon Clan in 2017, each clan can choose from the Winter Court 2017 roll or the new roll chosen at Winter Court 2017.
    • At Winter Court 2018, and an unnamed store event, each clan will have two rolls to choose from, one from Winter Court 2017 and one from the Kotei series.

Here's some links that I used to help figure that out. I have little confidence that I actually got it entirely right. :)

"For the very first Winter Court World Championship this November, players must use the role chosen for their clan at the Kiku Matsuri preview event, as decreed below."

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/l5r-lcg/roles/

"Of course, you’ll want to know exactly what you’re choosing between if you’re selecting a Keeper role or a Seeker role for your clan. Below, you can find the fourteen clan-specific Keeper and Seeker cards of this cycle. After the Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game World Championships is complete, only one of these cards will be legal for your clan to use until the next World Championships. Review your chosen clan’s options below, and prepare yourself for the great tournament at the FFG World Championships!"

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/10/11/the-imperial-cycle/

"Elemental Points will determine which additional elemental role a clan gains access to for use at two important events: the Winter Court World Championship, and an in-store event leading up to it. Each Kotei participant has the privilege of casting a vote for which additional role their clan should pursue, which will affect the Elemental Points earned by each clan at the end of the Toshi Ranbo Season."

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/l5r-lcg/kotei/

"The departing Court of the Dragon Clan tournament on Sunday allows competitors to use their clan’s new or previous elemental role..."

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/op/l5r-lcg/winter-court/

3 hours ago, Mirith said:

Basically correct, but you only need to limit yourself to your clan's role for official events.  You are not forced to use them for casual play.  Roles got chosen and GenCon for Winter Court 2017, then eventually each clan will have 2 to choose from.

Are those two roles perpetual, or just at Winter Court and the unnamed store event? 

Most people I play with build tournament-legal decks for casual play, as it’s kinda like training. 

Just for clarification's sake, are you in fact required to use a role in official play? Though there would be no benefit for doing so, I was under the impression that you could play without a role. If I'm right in this, it would be one more knob design could play with, potentially.

1 hour ago, Ide Yoshiya said:

Just for clarification's sake, are you in fact required to use a role in official play? Though there would be no benefit for doing so, I was under the impression that you could play without a role. If I'm right in this, it would be one more knob design could play with, potentially.

Roles are required for official tournaments. I believe you are required to use one, but they only add deckbuilding options. You get either 3 influence or can duplicate an element in your provinces. You are free to make a deck with 10 influence and 5 different province elements. The only ting you miss out on is the free fate that they give.