Sign in to follow this  
Somatose Boy

Hour of the Huntress

I am cool with however FFG wants to distribute their items.

I mean, I would love to have the alt Daisy art, but even if a local store has an Invocation, I am not sure I can make it.  That kind of sucks, but thats my call to not spend the time and energy getting a local shop to host one of these or rearrange my schedule or spend some of my time playing AH with a bunch of people I don't know.  At the same time, I don't fault FFG for doing it that way, its just my decision how to spend my resources (time in this case).

Edited by Jobu

2 hours ago, Duciris said:

Several full color glossy pages at the back.

The cards are the same quality as normal non-print-on-demand quality.

I think her weakness automatically replaces Searching for Izzy for me.  That weakness has nearly killed me several times.  I'm just not sure if I can bring myself to do it - her classic, signature weakness is just so **** thematic!

The way that I reading the replacement rules, and someone correct me if I am wrong here, if you choose to use one replacement card, you must use both. However, you can either replace the Dunwich Legacy signature cards, or you can instead just add the Hour of the Huntress cards (giving Jenny 2 signature assets and signature weaknesses). If you can instead just replace the Dunwich asset with the HotH asset, or just the Dunwich weakness with the HotH weakness, then this new weakness is definitely replacing Searching for Izzie in my Jenny deck as well.

Well, the way they word it, it seems to indicate you include them as sets (asset and weakness together), but since it's a coop, there is nothing stopping anyone from doing it any way they wish.

But, the words as written indicate what you stated (either just use original asset/weakness, just use new asset/weakness, or use all 4).

On 15-10-2017 at 9:22 PM, aenima said:

I'd like a copy... but the expedition to europe is toooo expansive! :(

I can order the book in The Netherlands for €13,95 (about $16,45) with no additional shipping if collecting from the store.

I’m sure the same will apply to other European countries.

24 minutes ago, mwmcintyre said:

Could someone post the exact wording of the explanation of the "Replacement" rules please? Very curious.

I'm curious too. I'm assuming it is explained on the mini rules card that come with the book. I will let you know when I get my copy if nobody else has responded yet.

Ooh thanks! I hadn't considered that you might be able to keep both sets of signature cards in the deck. Huh. I wonder if the reward is worth the risk on average? Good to know that they can only be replaced as a set though.

1 hour ago, Soakman said:

Ooh thanks! I hadn't considered that you might be able to keep both sets of signature cards in the deck. Huh. I wonder if the reward is worth the risk on average? Good to know that they can only be replaced as a set though.

Most of the signature weaknesses are worse than the benefit their signature asset gives so I doubt I will ever play with both sets unless I am just doing it for fun.  I can't see it helping for the most part unless my character manipulates the deck a lot (to avoid weaknesses).

1)  The cards... I love the alt art Jenny.  I'm not convinced that the replacement cards are better or worse than the normal ones for Jenny... but it's a different way to play.

2)  I'm definitely not an avid reader but I thought the novella was comparable to DragonLance, the fluff in Warmachine, GW army books... it's hardcover and binding reminded me of those children's Golden Books.  

We can argue over pricepoint but it would have been nice if there was some more artwork inside the novella?  Or heck, if the novella was a graphic novel?

IMO, the price point isn't backbreaking for a completionist.  This is discretionary income.  As such, it's really up to you if you think it's worth it.

6 hours ago, IceQube MkII said:

1)  The cards... I love the alt art Jenny.  I'm not convinced that the replacement cards are better or worse than the normal ones for Jenny... but it's a different way to play.

2)  I'm definitely not an avid reader but I thought the novella was comparable to DragonLance, the fluff in Warmachine, GW army books... it's hardcover and binding reminded me of those children's Golden Books.  

We can argue over pricepoint but it would have been nice if there was some more artwork inside the novella?  Or heck, if the novella was a graphic novel?

IMO, the price point isn't backbreaking for a completionist.  This is discretionary income.  As such, it's really up to you if you think it's worth it.

To be fair, I just received my copy and I work with book self-publishers and hardcover books are very expensive by themselves. Add full color interiors, and the retail price point goes up even more. I think for a $15 book, this is really not bad material at all. I haven't read it yet, but the actual physical book and the cards are great. It's the shipping that is the killer.

I also agree that these replacement cards are not better or worse. The Green Man Medallion gives you the ability to earn extra experience at a cost of both resources throughout the game and (unless you use both sets of signatures) her signature weapon. She'll be less reliable, but level more easily. This is the Jenny that you want on your team end-game...if all goes according to plan.

Which it seldom does.

On 16/10/2017 at 11:20 PM, Buhallin said:

22339286_10110766767708140_9463446853591

Can you post all the cards? I'd like to translate them in italian using strange eons, but I need the images...

Edited by aenima

29 minutes ago, Somatose Boy said:

The book was pretty well written, and gives quite a bit of background to Jenny as well insight into the town of Arkham. Lots of potential new cards for the game.

I'm about half way through. I was excited to have an origin story for both her .45's and the Green Man Medallion. Also some more facts about the nature of Izzie's disappearance. 

I can see a new ally incoming, or maybe an inspiration for the new mechanic investigator introduced in Eldritch Horror's Masks of Nyarlohotep expansion (though she has a different name than the character I'm thinking of from Jenny's novella).

For those of you interested in knowing who the next book is probably about, some people have reported receiving incorrect cards with their copies of Hour of the Huntress on the BGG forums.

They received alt art and replacement signature cards for Roland Banks instead of Jenny Barnes.

4 hours ago, Holmelund said:

I almost bought it. Then I found out that shipping to Europe is more than twice the prise of the book. And after adding import taxes and fee the book would cost me a grand total of 78$

I cant justify that 

Yeah, unfortunately that is much too much for a novella and a few replacement cards.  If only they could do something about the shipping/import costs.

6 hours ago, Holmelund said:

I almost bought it. Then I found out that shipping to Europe is more than twice the prise of the book. And after adding import taxes and fee the book would cost me a grand total of 78$

I cant justify that 

Where in Europe do you live?

I can buy it in The Netherlands for under €14, just have to wait a week or so

15 hours ago, cheapmate said:

Where in Europe do you live?

I can buy it in The Netherlands for under €14, just have to wait a week or so

I actually found a bookstore locally that was able to order it from their supplier so my issue is solved :)
(And Denmark to answer your question)

On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:33 PM, alexbobspoons said:

Not actually happy about this.

As a completionist collector with slight OCD (and I am not alone in this within this hobby) for a full set of cards I will need to buy all these books to get the unique cards. I do not like that sales angle at all.

Im happy the books are being done for those wanting and am happy with alt-art cards as they are great for collectors wanting the extra bit that doesnt affect gameplay. But content affecting gameplay being sold in an alternative product to the game itself, thats just not something I am pleased about at all.

Genuinely happy with the folks that are happy. But for me, this looks like a choice of non-complete collection or having to buy repeated books at $15 each just for a couple of cards. $15 for a couple of cards, not good.

It's not the Capitalists fault for knowing their target so well.  To put it your terms:  "It would be sub optimal for them not to take advantage of market psychology."  If you have to have a problem with it fine, just know that there are a lot of others who actually want stories about the investigators and are just fine with taking some and leaving others and we make just as nice a target as you do.  Considering that combo, I'd be surprised if this wasn't a product.  :)