mattlarnold

Thinking of selling my armies - a lot painted

23 posts in this topic

Wondering where the best place to do this is. Gotta save for a house, and not really able to play miniatures / wargames anymore. My gaming group is more or less into board games, so I just don't see this getting to table anymore.

I got 2 core sets, and everything from wave... 1 I guess you would say. As in, for both Daqan and Waiqar, I have the first expansions - more foot troops, Golem, Lancer, the heroes and the Infantry Command.

I also painted one complete core set, and the Daqan infantry commands to a great quality, using Sorastro's paint scheme. You can see pics here:

Album of Painted Core Set

The bad news is this: painting won't increase the value of the sale, in fact it may make it more difficult even for anyone but an extremely in demand commission painter, peddling something in equal demand.

A local facebook/wargame forum is the best place to do it.

Budgernaut likes this

2 minutes ago, Darthain said:

The bad news is this: painting won't increase the value of the sale, in fact it may make it more difficult even for anyone but an extremely in demand commission painter, peddling something in equal demand.

A local facebook/wargame forum is the best place to do it.

Interesting. Thanks, I will look around at the local community.

Miniature games don't go bad. 

My advice would be to hold on to your stuff, despite immediate financial concerns, especially since it's so nicely painted.  You've got a piece of artwork on your hands that you've obviously spent a lot of time on.  You could always return to the game at a later time, or use the miniatures for any number of other games. 

13 minutes ago, Click5 said:

Miniature games don't go bad. 

My advice would be to hold on to your stuff, despite immediate financial concerns, especially since it's so nicely painted.  You've got a piece of artwork on your hands that you've obviously spent a lot of time on.  You could always return to the game at a later time, or use the miniatures for any number of other games. 

This is what I always say, the 100 you'd make from all this isn't going to make a difference in the grand scheme of buying a house. Keep them, show your kids in the future. Or eventually when everything is out you can get your group of friends back into it.

Click5 and Hawkman2000 like this

If you really do have everything released for Daqan and Waiqar then you can actually make some balanced lists and play the game "board game style" too.  May eventually stoke some enthusiasm with friends who arent all in yet.

That is what happened to me with X-wing.  initially I only played with a friends kit, then after playing enough I eventually got on board and now I'm all in.

Those are some really nice figures. Somehow it saddens me to think of you dumping your hard work on them for pocket $ not house $.  A 100 - 200 bucks won't make a dent in those finances.  That kind of $ comes from sustained positive income.

Keep them.  Play when you can.  

I'm thinking of getting into Runewars and would love to have painted miniatures, but with a 5 year old, 3 year old, and 1 year old, I don't have time to paint them myself. Any suggestions on where to look to get a painted army and how much it would cost?

BTW, I'm pretty new with this forum/community thing (see 3 kids 5 and under); this is my first post, and I don't really know how this works, so apologies for any mistakes (e.g. I don't know if this thread is the best place to post this, or if it's ok to ask for advice on cost, but this thread is what got me thinking about it). I'm also not on Facebook, have never bought anything on eBay, etc., so if you guys recommend going those routes, I'd appreciate advice on how exactly to do that (between work, moves, and kids, I've kind of been living under a rock the past 10+ years...).

Also, flightmaster101, how do you play this "board game style?"

Wraithist likes this

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:31 PM, player651759 said:

Also, flightmaster101, how do you play this "board game style?"

No lie also curious

8 minutes ago, Curlycross said:

No lie also curious

You make set, comparative level lists, you just pull out and play with units in hand, not worrying about further expansion.  Kind of like magic duel decks and such.

Edited by Darthain

This is were I'm at.  Once I pick up Uthuk.  I'll keep item all at 2X staters plus infantry command packs.  And done.  

However, elves I may pick up additional expansions as a 'main' army.

Wraithist likes this

1 hour ago, Ywingscum said:

This is were I'm at.  Once I pick up Uthuk.  I'll keep item all at 2X staters plus infantry command packs.  And done.  

However, elves I may pick up additional expansions as a 'main' army.

I'm surprised you don't want 2x of the "missing" unit, ie crossbow and deathknights so that each army has one of each archtype.

Though I suppose that you have to draw the line somewhere and slopes are slippery.

Curlycross and Ywingscum like this

It's the current plan, saying no to expansions.  But things change, new year I expect we'd find out if it stays at 4 factions or not.  Who knows were things go.

3 hours ago, Darthain said:

You make set, comparative level lists, you just pull out and play with units in hand, not worrying about further expansion.  Kind of like magic duel decks and such.

@Darthainnailed it

You could also incorporate expansions if you want, but Ideally you make 2 lists that are relatively equal power and relatively simplistic for people who don't play a bunch.

Edited by flightmaster101
Wraithist likes this

I'll be doing the same. I get my elves with the Uthuk when theycome out. I'll have 2 mixed faction armies.Then in May I plan to pick up the Uthuk expansions and make a tournament list. I'll have a boardgame-like set of armies for home, and go Uthuk the rest of the way for the tournaments I'll never attend.

EDIT: I probably wasn't very clear. With my single core set, I'll have four 100-point armies (or thereabouts). I plan to just play 200-point games by pairing the different factions together. Eventually I'll have enough Uthuk Y'llan to have two 200-point games of just Uthuk. When that happens, I can play out the in-fighting between the different leaders. The story from the core shows us that there is definitely tension between Ravos and Malaana.

Edited by Budgernaut
Wraithist and Ywingscum like this

38 minutes ago, Budgernaut said:

I'll be doing the same. I get my elves with the Uthuk when theycome out. I'll have 2 mixed faction armies.Then in May I plan to pick up the Uthuk expansions and make a tournament list. I'll have a boardgame-like set of armies for home, and go Uthuk the rest of the way for the tournaments I'll never attend.

Hahaha, I have a Waiqar army. I'm going to get the Uthuk, and I'll build these two armies. Focusing more on Uthuk. Uthuk, I'll get the expansions and be Tournament ready. Waiqar I'll probably be a little less, tournament focused, and more with friends where I can proxy upgrades.

Budgernaut likes this

8 hours ago, Curlycross said:

Waiqar I'll probably be a little less, tournament focused, and more with friends where I can proxy upgrades.

That's actually one of the toughest decisions for me at the moment. I'm so focused on building a tournament list, but for what reason? So I can drive 2.5 hours to go to a tournament every half a year or so? Is that worth it? Because alternatively I could just buy another round of cores for each army and proxy all the upgrades I want at home. Tough choices.

But the Uthuk make me happy, so I'll plan on going all-in with them next year. If plans change, so be it.

49 minutes ago, flightmaster101 said:

They don’t have a lgs by where you live?

Sometimes the hurdle is players.  Too many games!

17 minutes ago, Darthain said:

Sometimes the hurdle is players.  Too many games!

True.  The best way to get players is dedicate a night with a friend and keep playing.  Others will eventually get interest  and join you.  It’s how our armada league went from 2 to 12 players.

I’m now doing the same thing with Runewars.  The 2 of us play every Tuesday and we already have 4 more who bought in and are trying to shift our schedules to meet up with us.

maxam and Hepitude like this

1 hour ago, flightmaster101 said:

True.  The best way to get players is dedicate a night with a friend and keep playing.  Others will eventually get interest  and join you.  It’s how our armada league went from 2 to 12 players.

I’m now doing the same thing with Runewars.  The 2 of us play every Tuesday and we already have 4 more who bought in and are trying to shift our schedules to meet up with us.

You bet, gotta build it up.  I've got some demo nights planned currently.

6 hours ago, flightmaster101 said:

They don’t have a lgs by where you live?

I moved to Laredo, TX in August. There is a shop that does ccgs, video game tournaments, and anime viewings, but that's it. The closest lgs to me is in San Antonio, 2.5 hours away. Considering I can't even afford all the minis I want, I can't justify the expense to go up there with any frequency. I miss Tucson. :( So many game stores!

5 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

I moved to Laredo, TX in August. There is a shop that does ccgs, video game tournaments, and anime viewings, but that's it. The closest lgs to me is in San Antonio, 2.5 hours away. Considering I can't even afford all the minis I want, I can't justify the expense to go up there with any frequency. I miss Tucson. :( So many game stores!

13 hours ago, Budgernaut said:

That's actually one of the toughest decisions for me at the moment. I'm so focused on building a tournament list, but for what reason? So I can drive 2.5 hours to go to a tournament every half a year or so? Is that worth it? Because alternatively I could just buy another round of cores for each army and proxy all the upgrades I want at home. Tough choices.

But the Uthuk make me happy, so I'll plan on going all-in with them next year. If plans change, so be it.

I too am so excited for Uthuk. The way they play is just so intriguing. I can't wait to get them put together and start destroying my enemies. There is a store here in Lincoln, NE that people go to and play. There isn't a league currently, but I'm sure we could put one together. I know of 7 of us in Lincoln, and the FLGS owner told me there are 2-3 more that aren't in the forums (I know they're not in the forums because they haven't spoken up on the location post). I would eventually like to drive up to MN (about a 6-7 hour drive) to play in tournaments, for nothing more than a nerd vacation.