Sign in to follow this  
Bayusi Haryon

Shameful Display !

Hi,

Recently my Playgroup asked the following to resolve.

Conflict:

My oponent has a dishonored character, i have a normal character, the province is Shameful Display. Ok?, well they choose to Dishonor the opponent and honor my character. I say thats impossible because you cant dishonor an already deshonored character so this action isnt resolved.

Can anyone explain with rules who has the true answer? Thx

12 minutes ago, Bayusi Haryon said:

Hi,

Recently my Playgroup asked the following to resolve.

Conflict:

My oponent has a dishonored character, i have a normal character, the province is Shameful Display. Ok?, well they choose to Dishonor the opponent and honor my character. I say thats impossible because you cant dishonor an already deshonored character so this action isnt resolved.

Can anyone explain with rules who has the true answer? Thx

Yes it's ok. 

To target the characters they just need to be able to change their honored state. An effect does not have to fully resolve, and the player chooses who to honor or dishonor. So they can choose to honor a character, and the dishonor just fizzles out.

Edited by RandomJC

The card reads:

Action: During a conflict at this province, choose 2 participating characters – honor one of those characters and dishonor the other.

The text before the dash; "During a conflict at this province, choose 2 participating characters –" is the cost and that has to be able to be paid/resolved. The text after the dash "– honor one of those characters and dishonor the other." Is the effect which can either happen fully or partially.

So you have to be able to choose 2 participating characters and they in part can be honored, ordinary or dishonored before you honor/dishonor them =)

Also relevant:

7) Shameful Display – Can you trigger it with targeting such that your opponent’s character gets dishonored but your honored character has nothing happen to them?

This “resolve as much as you are able” rule basically means that you cannot optionally pick and choose which parts of an effect resolve.
So, you could choose to dishonor the ordinary character, and let the honor effect fail to resolve in your example. Once these choices are made, you resolve as much of the effect as you are able.
If you had one honored and one dishonored character, you would have to choose in such a way that the resolution of the ability changes the game state. (i.e., you couldn’t choose to both honor the honored and dishonor the dishonored, as then the effect would have no potential to change the game state) (Nate French, 14/8/17).

Edited by Bolfa Fluffbelly