citruscannon

Relentless Pursuit: A Preview of the 181st Sq. TIE Expansion Pack for X-Wing™ (custom)

48 posts in this topic

Before we get too far, this is not real. A figment of my imagination produced from the absence of real articles. A What-if, where FFG released single ship packs designed to bring every ship in the previous packs up to speed for that particular ship, using full art cards. Some of the art is heavily photoshopped from source images, for example the Maarek Stele art (from the game), as well as Vult Skerris (from a piece of Darren Tan art) and of course the Joel Hustak art on the PTL. Rules have been set in as innovative and balanced way as possible, as well as price points. Hope you enjoy this! (and see if you can spot the all-important error!)

aRHgOIv.jpg

Including a shiny special edition Star Destroyer White cardboard dial!

YBJot5z.jpg

34pt mid-range ace that does well with backup so he can drop his focus results to improve maneuverability. As commander of Skystrike academy, he's well-versed in handling the interceptor, and can turn on a dime in a pinch. Strong synergy between Tactical Discipline and his pilot ability when the opportunity strikes.

E0ZXOi1.jpg

Or go for a light but deadly Maarek, with a targeting computer. You may want heavier targets than him though as he will be in a prime situation to get shot at

xBlpqAW.jpg

100pt. sample triple interceptor squad. Those 31pt sabers are REALLY powerful at close range, meaning you can use them in a straight on assault while Fel flanks from the side to trigger that all important reroll from Tactical discipline. Good maneuvering and you should get one or two shots off with the title before the Sabers bite the bullet. Fel tries to stay alive to the endgame to mop up what's left. 

last view of the upgrades, if you're having trouble seeing them .
q59x2kc.jpg

Edited by citruscannon

29 minutes ago, Arkanta974 said:

Really nice idea.

Why a target lock if you can't lock with any of the card coming ?

haha, good point. I had a targeting computer alt art in there at one point, but seem to have missed it. :)

and fixed! There are two minor mistakes in there for people to find, but otherwise should be fine.

Edited by citruscannon
Vontoothskie and Arkanta974 like this

29 minutes ago, TheHumanHydra said:

I'd buy it. Really nice art choices, especially on Tactical Discipline. Is there a link to that art?

Thanks! I put it up on imgur. I needed an image so I made this one in photoshop and sketchup, didn't find anything suitable from FFG.

cONMidD.png

Edited by citruscannon

5 minutes ago, Parakitor said:

So...Soontir gets two Elite upgrades? That's probably a mistake. Did I win?

he doesn't get an EPT from the title, he already has one so it doesn't help him out much. As for the second, yes, he could take an EPT and Tactical discipline, but that is partially the point. To do so starts putting him in the realm of 38 points, so its not necessarily a good idea. :)

Edited by citruscannon

Great work on this expansion! Looks fun.

I could have sworn I read the whole Tactical Discipline card, but I didn't. I missed the last line. Sorry about that.

31 minutes ago, citruscannon said:

Thanks! I put it up on imgur. I needed an image so I made this one in photoshop and sketchup, didn't find anything suitable from FFG.

cONMidD.png

Thanks! It's very pretty.

47 minutes ago, Arkanta974 said:

I want Ciena Ree next ! :D

I second this!

also, Tactical Discipline seems a little overpriced. You have to jump through a lot of hoops (enemy has to be in your arc AND a friendly ship's arc- which means it's completely useless in the end game once your wingmen have all been blown up) for only a single reroll of a blank (not focus) result. Compare to Predator (granted, it's only attack rolls, but it lets you reroll 1-2 dice with no stipulations or hoops) or Lone Wolf (Also let's you reroll 1 blank result on an attack or defense roll, and all you have to do is stay away from your allies. It becomes even more useful in the end-game). 

I'd price Tactical Displine firmly at 2 points. It seems pretty comparable to Lone Wolf for how useful it is and how hard it is to trigger. 

EDIT: I forgot to add: but overall, I love the suggestions! Keep you the good work! #BringBackTheInterceptor

Edited by Herowannabe
Vontoothskie likes this

The Interceptor is Star Wars, period.

I'm all in. I'd price the Title at 0, and agree that Tactical Discipline should be at the most 2 as it will be quite tough to proc in a properly flown Interceptor wing; but this is awesome! ....needless to type, great job!

Edited by clanofwolves

10 hours ago, citruscannon said:

haha, good point. I had a targeting computer alt art in there at one point, but seem to have missed it. :)

and fixed! There are two minor mistakes in there for people to find, but otherwise should be fine.

Your Targeting Computer in the upper image is a crew upgrade. ^^

Great job, as always.

If FFG made an "X-Wing Magazine", they could, with each issue, release extra cards (like these) for at least one ship, with no need of repainted miniatures (specially for those ships "already fixed"). Some of the possible card "packs":

• X-Wing Blue Squadron pilots + X-Wing fix (that doesn't help Biggs)
  • Rebel Y-Wing extra pilots (and maybe one more title)
  • Partisan X-Wing (Saw Guerrera and crew - maybe with a title that gives the illicit and salvaged astromech in place of the droid)
  • U-Wing goodies (with door gunner and K-2SO crew)
  • E-Wing fix (that boost low PS E-Wings, but not Corran)
  • TIE Striker heavy configuration (bombs and maybe crew)
  • TIE Advanced extra title (unique "Darth Vader's TIE")
  • TIE Punisher title (TIE Interdictor?)
  • TIE Bomber title (TIE/sa, with focus on, you know, bombs)
  • TIE Interceptor fix (title cumulative with the existing one)
  • Phoenix Squadron A-Wings
  • Inferno Squadron TIE Fighters
Edited by Odanan

1 hour ago, Odanan said:

Your Targeting Computer in the upper image is a crew upgrade. ^^

Great job, as always.

If FFG made an "X-Wing Magazine", they could, with each issue, release extra cards (like these) for at least one ship, with no need of repainted miniatures (specially for those ships "already fixed").  

Haha 10 points for gryffindor! Yea I wondered who would snag that one. ;)

1 hour ago, clanofwolves said:

I'm all in. I'd price the Title at 0, and agree that Tactical Discipline should be at the most 2 as it will be quite tough to proc in a properly flown Interceptor wing; but this is awesome! ....needless to type, great job!

Title is appropriately priced for what it does I think, it's REALLY good at turning the low PS ships into powerhouses in playtesting. You can play your blocker really aggressively and do ridiculous damage if you can force a bump, before getting blown to bits, and then your flanker comes in to mop up. If interested, I'd give it a go sometime on vassal, the costings seem to be working out so far. I've got people saying both are undercosted as well, so it's tough to say. Tactical discipline turns out to be not too difficult to proc, since it just means you have to have one interceptor with guns on target at all times. Turreted ships however don't have it that easy. 

2 hours ago, Arma Quattro said:

I'm loving all this, @citruscannon

thanks!

5 hours ago, Herowannabe said:

I second this!

also, Tactical Discipline seems a little overpriced. You have to jump through a lot of hoops (enemy has to be in your arc AND a friendly ship's arc- which means it's completely useless in the end game once your wingmen have all been blown up) for only a single reroll of a blank (not focus) result. Compare to Predator (granted, it's only attack rolls, but it lets you reroll 1-2 dice with no stipulations or hoops) or Lone Wolf (Also let's you reroll 1 blank result on an attack or defense roll, and all you have to do is stay away from your allies. It becomes even more useful in the end-game). 

I'd price Tactical Displine firmly at 2 points. It seems pretty comparable to Lone Wolf for how useful it is and how hard it is to trigger. 

EDIT: I forgot to add: but overall, I love the suggestions! Keep you the good work! #BringBackTheInterceptor

2 points is an appropriate price for TD, no question. But the cost comes in a little higher precisely because of the chassis it has access to, and that it doesn't displace PTL as an EPT. Once you start looking at it as an interceptor with 3 dice, focus, evade, and autothrusters, that extra die reroll becomes really really powerful. I'm wary of the difficulty in making the defensive rolls for the interceptor too easy, and also making the upgrade an auto-include on things like soontir. something i would love if I could do it without turning it into a text monster is to have tactical discipline cost less the more copies of it are in play. 
food for thought.

thanks for the comments everyone!

4 minutes ago, citruscannon said:

Haha 10 points for gryffindor!

Ravenclaw. The hat tried to put me in that dang mainstream Griffindor, but I chose Ravenclaw instead.

RogueLeader42 likes this

Okay let's get into analysis mode.

Tactical Discipline is indeed a great EPT but shouldn't be limited to one ship chosen at the beginning. 

Its correct cost should be 2, being 1 too little and 3 too much for the effects it grants and the fact that it allows another EPT slot. Perhaps its effect could trigger ONLY if OTHER SHIPS with the same EPT have the target inside their firing arc. 

Anyway the point is that  the Interceptor is an already overpriced ship, so pushing up its cost with upgrades isn't the best idea, methinks.

Vontoothskie and Odanan like this

6 hours ago, clanofwolves said:

4 hours ago, citruscannon said:

Title is appropriately priced for what it does I think, it's REALLY good at turning the low PS ships into powerhouses in playtesting. You can play your blocker really aggressively and do ridiculous damage if you can force a bump, before getting blown to bits, and then your flanker comes in to mop up. If interested, I'd give it a go sometime on vassal, the costings seem to be working out so far. I've got people saying both are undercosted as well, so it's tough to say. Tactical discipline turns out to be not too difficult to proc, since it just means you have to have one interceptor with guns on target at all times. Turreted ships however don't have it that easy.

I don't know about that title at 0 being over-costed in the current meta. Really? It's so **** tough to run these beauties now and being able to attack on a blocker or on a ship you blocked might make these little birds fly again, but the points are already strangling them. Just my opinion pre-pint: 0 point Titles are the best and are appropriate as they are meant to buff the chassis.

Again, good work, don't stop...I'm on board.

citruscannon likes this