Sign in to follow this  
Alderaan Crumbs

Bethesda & GeneSys: A fond wish!

After DarthGM mentioned he made a Fallout hack for the Star Wars system, the thought of official Fallout, Elder Scrolls and Dishonored books for GeneSys popped into my head. That makes me so giddy I had to share it! I've no idea how viable such things are but holy cow, I would LOVE to see those exist! I know Harvey Smith of Arkane Studios mentioned hoping to see a Dishonored P&PRPG, so maybe (since Bethesda oversees that franchise) those books might one day exist. FFG has a reputation of getting awesome franchises and honestly, I can think if no better company to tackle such an endeavor. 

Edited by Alderaan Crumbs

My only hope is that any Fallout products focus on the narratively stronger Fallout games like 1, 2 and NV. Fallout 4 was a pretty town builder but a lacking RPG and that feel, that instinctive feel for the Fallout world, wasn't there (for me - others may disagree).

Elder Scrolls may end up competing with Runebound though...

Oh I know nothing of Runebound; I just know they have an IP for a fantasy setting that ties to other products like a board game and miniatures. And, that was the basis for the convention module. Bringing in a licenced IP that would also be fantasy and would obviate the ability to cross sell the miniatures etc with the RPG wouldn't make commerical sense. I wouldn't do it, and I do know and have sunk stupid hours into Oblivion and Skyrim.

As I have mentioned in other threads, I suspect there are legal/licensing issues that FFG is not going to want to deal with when it comes to a generic system with licensed settings. I just think they are going to keep it simple (at least to start with) and limit genesys to properties they own outright. 

In Green Ronin's case it wasn't even licensing.  They had that, it was that the video game company was a pain getting back to them on stuff they had submitted for approval and what not and it's what led to Green Ronin making AGE, a generic system.

I think FFG will want to avoid those pitfalls.  I'm sure they enjoy the money a Star Wars franchise brings to them, but at the same time, the creative and production freedom provided by not having IP issues probably speeds up their time table.

If the fantasy setting book is good in content and depth it will provide the basis for tweaks or simply re-naming stuff that would port to any setting I would think.  Plus OggDude's  app makes creating custom trees and talents easy if people want to stick with the same kind of structure as Star Wars for character progression. 

I'm using it in my fantasy setting and my guys like it.  A tree for their race that's flavorful for the typical thinking on that race, and then a career tree.  I put out a list of like 2 dozen plus ideas and had them pick and then made what I felt was appropriate in the app.  That gives them 2 trees to start and skills for spending xp on, along with spells, custom attack maneuvers, or plans/recipes, all of which I am whipping up using the Force power tree generator.

Talking about AGE, Green Ronin wants to use "modern" AGE for their The Expanse license and I have to admitt I am not thrilled at all. I find the generic fantasy AGE extremely limited in the sense it claims to be a generic system. The magic system is rudimentary and extremely unflexible. If there is a system fitting perfectly for Expanse, it is Mongoose Traveller and hopefully soon Genesys as well.