emeraldbeacon

...Define "Ignore"

So.  We all know that Captain Nym (Scum) ignores friendly bombs.  But do friendly bombs ignore Nym?  Here's what I mean:  Say that, in the course of a heated endgame dogfight, Captain Nym decides he needs to fly over some previously-placed (friendly) Cluster Mines to land the kill shot.  Obviously, he doesn't care, he ignores the bombs entirely.  But in flying over them, one of two things has to happen:

1. Since a ship has overlapped the cluster mine, it detonates as normal; Nym's ability allows him to ignore the damaging effects of the bomb.
  2. Captain Nym ignores all aspects of the bomb, including their existence.  He doesn't trigger them, so they stay on the table.

Thoughts?

I was asking this too, but someone pointed out to me that they answered it in the preview article. It says...

"As a member of the Scum and Villainy faction, Captain Nym comes with the ability to ignore friendly bombs. He can fly right over your Conner Nets and Proximity Mines without detonating them, and he can even ignore the damage from your Seismic Charges." 

So you answer is #2, he doesn't trigger them at all. 

7 hours ago, thespaceinvader said:

Sadly, preview articles are not rules text, and are often wrong.

I don't doubt that that's the intention, but that's not what they've actually written on the card...

I concur with this interpretation.  Yes, it seems like the INTENTION is that Nym is as invisible to the bombs as the bombs are to him... but as written, it's not clear whether the bomb would or wouldn't detonate.  Of course, if the bomb DOES explode, the worst case scenario is just that you end up losing a bomb on the field.

Sure the preview articles have been known to be wrong before but there's no particular reason to think that they're OFTEN wrong.  The article states clearly that the bombs don't go off.  There doesn't seem to be any disagreement on this point.

Unless we get an official ruling to the contrary I don't see any reason to fret over this.

The bombs don't detonate.  Carry on until told different.

Haven't needed it before with Dash as obstacles are not removed once their effect had been delivered.

But now, it is important to know whether Nym and (other ignore abilities) ignore both the trigger, and the effect.

I would rule that in his current form, he ignores everything about the bomb. As far as Nym is concerned, the bomb does not exist. Just like obstacles do not exist for Dash (during the activation phase).

If it was a case that Nym could not avoid triggering bombs, but only ignored their effect, it would be more specifically worded.

Making it, 'ignore effect only' though, might be a welcome ruling.

Edited by McLaine

On 10/13/2017 at 10:58 PM, sharrrp said:

Sure the preview articles have been known to be wrong before but there's no particular reason to think that they're OFTEN wrong.

Literally every preview article I can remember since I've been playing has had at least one error, usually rules-related, on release, and very few of them get fixed later.

And I do mean literally literally.

It's like it's a game of spot the deliberate mistake at this point.

On 10/14/2017 at 3:04 AM, McLaine said:

I would rule that in his current form, he ignores everything about the bomb. As far as Nym is concerned, the bomb does not exist. Just like obstacles do not exist for Dash (during the activation phase).

Same here. I looked through the rules reference and FAQ, and every time they used the word "ignore" about something, you just don't acknowledge the item in question exists.... i.e., the width of a range ruler when measuring arc/range, portions of bomb tokens that go off the board, etc. I will concede however that the card should be worded a little more clearer because without the preview article, one can easily make the case the bomb goes off, NYM just ignores it.