Sign in to follow this  
Mad Cat

Armada Highlander Tounament - Ideas

I have been asked by our local gaming club (York Garrison, UK) if I wanted to put on a competition on 9 Dec at their charity day. Several game systems will be represented but the time limit (about 6-7 hours) may not enable a 3 round 400 point Armada event. So I thought about running something different and here is an idea pinched from 40K - The Highlander Event. Basically you cannot have any duplicates in your list but I decided to take it a step further and disallow any duplicates in the entire event. :P

• 6-10 players turn up with no idea what list they will be playing. They don't need to bring any ships, cards or squadrons as these are provided. Rulers, dice, obstacles and counters are needed as normal. 
  • At registration we ask if they prefer Rebels or Imperials but we then force (at blaster point or with a Jedi mind trick) some people to change factions to keep the split even. We could say "Quicker, easier but not stronger" or try to convince them to "Join us and together we shall rule the Galaxy" etc.
  • Payers then gather round a large table. On it are placed one of each card in the game. for example an ISD1, ISD2, VSD1, VSD2, Tie-F, Howlrunner, Mauler, Black Squadron, Rudor, one of each Commander and one of each upgrade. Imperial only cards will be on the left, Rebel only cards on the right and neutral cards & objectives in the middle.
  • Players then take it in turns going round the table clockwise to each select one card adding it to their list (keeping their own tally). We keep going around and around the table (from a different starting player each round) picking one card each time to add to the lists until they reach the 400 point limit. They can't select an upgrade unless they have an available slot for it on a ship already selected. So no Demolisher unless you already have a GSD etc.
  • Players must (at some point) select a commander and a red/blue/yellow objective and of course cannot over select these to spoil others. Limiting it to 5 players per faction means we shouldn't run out of ships or fighters as the Imperials have 1060 points of ships and 231 points of squadrons to share around. If we wanted a larger event we could perhaps double up on all non unique cards in the selection pool.
  • If someone selects the Vader Squadron then the Vader Commander card is still available to be selected by any of the other Imperial players apart from the guy who just chose the Vader Squadron. Same goes for the Leia officer and commander for the rebels.
  • Once everyone has spent the points they wish we play a few games as normal. Optional rule (time dependant) could be to redo the selection procedure after each game.

What do we think? I reckon we can do 2 games and all the list selection in the time available and it will certainly be a different format from usual. Perhaps we will see some rather unusual ship builds in play rather than the usual tournament combos.

Me and @ceejlekabeejle were talking about the idea of dealing out a commander, couple of ships and a few squadrons. From there you can upgrade and add ships and squadrons to make a list.

Your idea sounds similar. Players will need to bring upgrade cards and I suspect additional squadrons. 

(Plus someone will need to bring extra models as I doubt you can supply everyone) 

Once upon a time, something occurred to me: every card in Armada has a blank-ish rear face, like a playing card. However, the game as written never uses this feature, and in fact there's no game purpose for the content or lack of content on the card backs. So... what if you could add a little uncontrollability to fleet building? It would change the feel of the game, from a game of optimization to a game of working with what you've got. Caveats: (1) physically shuffling your cards together isn't really fair, because then the distribution of powerful cards versus janky cards is dependent on your collection, and (2) it can't be totally random, because that would be terrible.

So, I wrote up a "draft mode." Didn't really stir up any conversation at the time.