Shizrak

Who else is quitting? Speak Up!

I think it's reasonable to assume They would not change things if they felt the old way was better. They changed it so they must think this way is at least potentially better.

FFG has new management that took over some time around this summer. 

FFG generally developes games years ahead of release so they may have developed and printed everything to function as a normal pack cycle and then made this choice recently.

10 minutes ago, Deathseed said:

Or you know, you could stay involved and just buy the packs as you can afford them.

Crazy, I know.

Right?  One thing I feel I can say for absolute certain - you will not need ALL of these packs to play competitively.  I hope they release a few more spoilers through all of the packs so players can prioritize better.  It can be tough getting a release 2-4 weeks after it came out.  If they can spoil all of the major characters like Kaede, and Yoshi, it will help.  I would absolutely buy the pack that has Kachiko, and pass on Kaede at first (even though I would certainly come back to buy them all after)

I plan to pick them all up eventually. Sure they will probably sellout but I'm a casual player so I don't need them at once. I can wait for reprints.

Two packs a month would be as fast as I'd like to see these get released. Prefer one per month. 

Edited by TechnoGolem

On 13-10-2017 at 3:00 PM, Nitenman said:

I don't even think each of these pack will have a card I want, so I'll do my homework, check the packs content on the web after release and if one pack have cards I want that will synergize with my decks, then only I'll buy the pack.

That's the way I always buy packs.

First buy the packs you want, then when you have the need to complete the cycle (and finances permit), buy the other packs. As logical as a Vulcan.

Played my first game yesterday. Ordered two core sets. Plan to buy three of each booster pack as I can.

Coming here from miniatures wargaming. $210 seems cheap if I get a year of play out of it. Likely I won't. But, yeah, seems fine.

Still beats trying to be competitive in Magic.

1 minute ago, cheapmate said:

Welcome to the game!

Out of curiosity, why would you buy three of each pack?

Thanks!

Never played L5R back in the day, so happy to be around for the launch of the new version.

For cards: I want to be able to run two "competitive" decks. So, allowing multiple copies of a good thing in each deck. Overkill? Our local scene is small, so I'll likely wait and buy one of each pack first, then another set of one each, then a third set if seems like I need it.

1 minute ago, Arcane Cowboy said:

Thanks!

Never played L5R back in the day, so happy to be around for the launch of the new version.

For cards: I want to be able to run two "competitive" decks. So, allowing multiple copies of a good thing in each deck. Overkill? Our local scene is small, so I'll likely wait and buy one of each pack first, then another set of one each, then a third set if seems like I need it.

You should only need two of the expansions if you want two "competitive" decks. They are full players after all. Though depending on your decks, you may only need one of each.

P.S. welcome to the game. May your katana's always be sharp.

Thanks and thanks for the tip! Sounds like buy one of each and then keep playing is best approach. I haven't done the deep dive on how cycles work, when the next one starts, etc. I know Netrunner did something where only X number of past expansions stay in use for tournaments.

If anyone is whining and quitting because of the principle that they feel "betrayed" that FFG was going to not capitalize on the initial excitement, sell your cores to me. Some people find an excuse to whine and cry about anything. Further, they believe their one opinion will stop the whole freight train. Seriously. I'll take them off your hands. No, I don't have a big salary. Yes, I only play one card game. Anyone whining wasn't a serious L5R player. To each their own. I know I've been waiting over 2 years for this game to return and I'm happy it's back.  

11 hours ago, SavageTofu said:

id have preferred all 6 packs in one box... for $40.

At 120 unique cards, it probably would have been more like two deluxes for $30 each, which is more in line with expansion price points and card counts. Which is still better than $90, of course, even if the card count would be slightly lower to be in line with deluxe boxes for FFG's other LCGs.

There's even a ready theme split, with keeper/seeker.

Edited by BD Flory

10 hours ago, Arcane Cowboy said:

Played my first game yesterday. Ordered two core sets. Plan to buy three of each booster pack as I can.

Coming here from miniatures wargaming. $210 seems cheap if I get a year of play out of it. Likely I won't. But, yeah, seems fine.

Still beats trying to be competitive in Magic.

Wow that's a lot of cards! Might aswell go for a 3d core set then.  Welcome!

Edited by Robin Graves

I've never found competing at Magic - at the local level, not going for any trophies or payout, just looking to play a game - to be all that expensive. Though granted; I usually play some variation on white aggro, whose essential parts typically run cheap.

53 minutes ago, Ide Yoshiya said:

I've never found competing at Magic - at the local level, not going for any trophies or payout, just looking to play a game - to be all that expensive. Though granted; I usually play some variation on white aggro, whose essential parts typically run cheap.

I'm certain you could compete at a local level with just 3 cores, against all of these expansions.  Local scenes are where your skill as a player can mean more than your deck build.

26 minutes ago, shosuko said:

I'm certain you could compete at a local level with just 3 cores, against all of these expansions.  Local scenes are where your skill as a player can mean more than your deck build.

Oh, I won't argue with that. I just felt the need to comment against this pernicious dogma that Magic must always be expensive. It often is, and it's easy to become addicted to the chase, but it is possible to follow casually and remain competitive.

Edited by Ide Yoshiya

16 minutes ago, franzvong said:

Well, who would not prefer $90 of product sold for 40? FFG I suppose ;) $75 is a more sensible value

*does quick bad math*

deluxe box introduces 50-60 new cards, that's three packs. deluxe box is 30 dollars, so all six would be about 60 dollars.

I'm just basing this off of one deluxe box from netrunner though.