Shizrak

Who else is quitting? Speak Up!

I think people might be overlooking the option of borrowing cards from friends for competitive play. This is not a CCG so there will be a number of people around who have playsets of all the cards and wont be using half of them most of the time. There are 7 clans in the game so people will be playing different things I hope. Heck, it might even be an incentive to play one of the less popular clans because you will have even less problems borrowing the cards you need.

1 hour ago, TheItsyBitsySpider said:

The reason the wonky dice even exist is to start combating piracy of RPG rulebooks, because you cant just download the game off a site and play with any old d10, you need their dice, meaning that even pirates will still make purchases. Its why the dice still play a lot like the old Roll and Keep system with a few flairs thrown in.

You dont need tobuy any dice to play those games.

You can always use apps to roll the dice, you can put stickers on normal dice, or you can even use normal dice and track the results.

19 minutes ago, Sixter said:

I think people might be overlooking the option of borrowing cards from friends for competitive play. This is not a CCG so there will be a number of people around who have playsets of all the cards and wont be using half of them most of the time. There are 7 clans in the game so people will be playing different things I hope. Heck, it might even be an incentive to play one of the less popular clans because you will have even less problems borrowing the cards you need.

To be fair, in the L5R CCG, we would lend/give cards all the time, especially to new players or for tournaments.  I have both lent and borrowed that last copy of some card for my deck for a Kotei in the past.  And usually if a new player joined we would just give them a playset of most of the rares, especially the uniques, because when you bought a box, you ended up with a lot of dead cards that weren't for your clan.

yup.
I don't have the funds to buy the game right now but I wasn't too stressed about that...figured I would jump on board in November or December and be fine. 
that is no longer the case. 
Second blunder from FFG's marketing in 2 months (Blind Buy Destiny for Force Friday...oops it's in Target too...)

I feel bad for the people who have worked their *** off building communities and demoing the game while relying on the strength of the LCG format "2-3 cores + 1 pack a months...easy on the wallet and easy to keep up with the meta". 
those people are liars now. 
those people include a big chunk of game store owners. 

My next purchase of an FFG product will be SW:Legion...and I am wary of what marketing hi-jinx they will play with that product. 

11 minutes ago, PsiLAN said:

You dont need tobuy any dice to play those games.

You can always use apps to roll the dice, you can put stickers on normal dice, or you can even use normal dice and track the results.

You have to buy the app to roll those dice, and the rest is just another hurdle for people trying to pirate the game.

Does it stop all piracy? No, not even close. Does it get them sales that they wouldn't have had from these groups? Yes, of course it would.

11 minutes ago, Hidatom said:

yup.
I don't have the funds to buy the game right now but I wasn't too stressed about that...figured I would jump on board in November or December and be fine. 
that is no longer the case. 
Second blunder from FFG's marketing in 2 months (Blind Buy Destiny for Force Friday...oops it's in Target too...)

I feel bad for the people who have worked their *** off building communities and demoing the game while relying on the strength of the LCG format "2-3 cores + 1 pack a months...easy on the wallet and easy to keep up with the meta". 
those people are liars now. 
those people include a big chunk of game store owners. 

My next purchase of an FFG product will be SW:Legion...and I am wary of what marketing hi-jinx they will play with that product. 

A one-time exception to a general rule does not make someone who states the general rule a liar.  That general rule also excludes Deluxe expansions and the potential for print-on-demand sets.  Do those exceptions also make the game store owners and community leaders liars?

"A one-time exception to a general rule does not make someone who states the general rule a liar"

FFG told you they aren't going to do it again? 

.How many demos were done using the LCG's strengths (buy 2-3 cores + one pack a month, easy on the wallet and easy to keep up with the meta)... 
this wasn't a split second decision from FFG. They had to have planned this MONTHS ago...possibly as recent as the end of Gencon...but the option was probably available before that. They chose to release the information AFTER the core sets went on sale. 
think about that. 

16 minutes ago, Hidatom said:

Not in so many words, but I can see a reason for deviating from the norm now (the card pool is too small currently, and people don't want a stale meta with so few cards), and I don't see much reason for deviating from the norm later, after the card pool is deeper.  Additionally, in the announcement FFG said that this is "a special event to grow and immerse you into Legend of the Five Rings: The Card Game," specifically to give the card pool and fiction a bit of an initial boost, so it seems perfectly reasonable to conclude that this is an exception rather than being a new rule.

25 minutes ago, Hidatom said:

"A one-time exception to a general rule does not make someone who states the general rule a liar"

.How many demos were done using the LCG's strengths (buy 2-3 cores + one pack a month, easy on the wallet and easy to keep up with the meta)... 
this wasn't a split second decision from FFG. They had to have planned this MONTHS ago...possibly as recent as the end of Gencon...but the option was probably available before that. They chose to release the information AFTER the core sets went on sale. 
think about that. 

Thought about that. Realized I'm me and not them, so I can't actually know their reasons, thought about more pleasant things.

(Also, FFG never actually said they were going to release one pack a month either for this LCG.)

Edited by RandomJC

1 minute ago, RandomJC said:

Thought about that. Realized I'm me and not them, so I can't actually know their reasons, thought about more pleasant things.

(Also, FFG never actually said they were going to release one pack a month either for this LCG.)

Not sure if it's the same for their competitive LCGs, but for Arkham and LotR, it tends to be once or twice a month with a bit of a gap between cycles (though I believe LotR has been waiting a while for the end of the Harad cycle...).

52 minutes ago, TheItsyBitsySpider said:

You have to buy the app to roll those dice, and the rest is just another hurdle for people trying to pirate the game.

Does it stop all piracy? No, not even close. Does it get them sales that they wouldn't have had from these groups? Yes, of course it would.

If you want the official app. There's already fan-made rollers available and even posted on the forums. Maybe they'll get C&D emails, but I doubt that would ever fully shut down people from using free 3rd party apps. 

8 minutes ago, JJ48 said:

Not sure if it's the same for their competitive LCGs, but for Arkham and LotR, it tends to be once or twice a month with a bit of a gap between cycles (though I believe LotR has been waiting a while for the end of the Harad cycle...).

Based on past performance we could assume what they would do. But I don't think FFG ever told us what the release schedule would be for these sets.

7 hours ago, BayushiAnatsu said:

One must not concern oneself with the peasants of which there are many. Let us Samurai enjoy the additional cards.

Bayushisan, such a sick burn... You must have spent too much time in the mountains of the Dragon.  Please rejoin us at winter court to cool off lol

I'm sorry but I just started laughing uncontrollably when the poster started calling FFG LCGs failures based on nothing but his own feelings.  

In the real world, both WQ:ACG and Conquest were VERY successful. Alas when the licensing agreement with Games Workshop went belly up so did they because their settings were licensed from GW. Star Wars LCG is still going nice and strong and is currently in the Alliances cycle. AGOT2e is also quite strong and the Arkham Horror LCG has succeeded beyond a lot of people's expectations. LoTR is just wrapping up its following of the main events in the books and launching a new type of CoOp adventure. And Netrunner just turned a major corner in its life with being the first LCG to hit Rotation, a new Core set that has new players wanting to come in and a new approach to Restrict and Ban that likewise has sparked a lot of interest. 

As to the fast release, I'm cool with it so long as they then give the game some time for players to absorb the new cards before launching into the next cycle. I've always advocated that LCGs could use a slightly less frequent release time to give the new material more time to be absorbed by the meta. Something like twice the number of cards in a release but the frequency is every two months instead of monthly. 

2 hours ago, TheItsyBitsySpider said:

The app is free :P

Anyway, playing RPGs is a hobby with zero mandatory costs. You dont need anything to play RPGs. Any money you spend is something voluntary because you want that book, complement, or whatever. No hobby is cheaper.

Just now, PsiLAN said:

The app is free :P

Anyway, playing RPGs is a hobby with zero mandatory costs. You dont need anything to play RPGs. Any money you spend is something voluntary because you want that book, complement, or whatever. No hobby is cheaper.

Their official RPG app for the Beta is $5.

Quitting over this seems weird. I can't afford them in such a short time. Only thing this does is make me worry I'll miss out on some of the packs (something I'd rather not do since it's my favorite thing about the shift to LCG format). I hear LCG packs sell out really easily. Any chance I'll be able to spend Xmas money to get the sets or am I sol?

3 minutes ago, llamaman88 said:

Quitting over this seems weird. I can't afford them in such a short time. Only thing this does is make me worry I'll miss out on some of the packs (something I'd rather not do since it's my favorite thing about the shift to LCG format). I hear LCG packs sell out really easily. Any chance I'll be able to spend Xmas money to get the sets or am I sol?

You probably have a chance through online retailers other than FFG, if you want the packs with Xmas money.