Cubanboy

FFG we don't hate you, we just want an FAQ Please.

Good Day FFG,

we the community have some amazing questions that we would love some answers to, from the obscure to super important. It has been said your working 1-4 waves ahead but we need some help with waves past. In short we don't hate you we just need answers to things like,

Lightwieght with Palp

Does Kath and crits

Harpoon missile timing 

Can I use 15 VCX Ghosts/FFG beer solid at the headquarters/ product shipping boxes/recalled templates/if wade sales me a used car, as Shield tokens 

and

if I call " dunken save me " does that cancel crits before hits.

in short please please please we need an FAQ.

much kindness and good thoughts from your fans.

edit

#thanksgoldsquadron 

Edited by Cubanboy

24 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Don't forget an official answer to minefield mapper and bomb tokens.

This one is causing a lot of consternation at the FLGS. There's one player that is adamant that you can use everything, bomb wise, with MM. I've ruled against that. Now I really want an answer. If nothing else it will change the argument.

50 minutes ago, Stoneface said:

This one is causing a lot of consternation at the FLGS. There's one player that is adamant that you can use everything, bomb wise, with MM. I've ruled against that. Now I really want an answer. If nothing else it will change the argument.

I know I've avoided using MM specifically because of the lack of official comment on tokens. I used it once when the Skurrg came out, and then put it away.

54 minutes ago, Stoneface said:

Bombs, bombs, bombs, bombs........ugggggg.

Put your foot down @Stoneface, tell the dude, "no more bombs, they're illegal, period."

im in the same boat i am actively avoiding mapper until its clarified.

The only list i made where i actually didnt want to put out all mines at once is more of a joke than an actual list. If they rule it where EM counts i will slap that onto Redline + 4 Clusters in a freakin heartbeat. Double punishers YEAHYEAH!

But it has been eons since the last faq and we have so friggen many ambiguous issues right now.

I know it's highly unlikely, but how nice would it be if FAQs were scheduled, say twice a year every year? Like the first week of March, then 6 mos. later the first week of Sept.?

People would then not be flailing in the dark constantly and have a date to look forward to. A supplemental or "emergency" FAQ could always drop from time to time if needed, but at least we'd guarantee some communication from FFG about our game. As it is, not addressing certain questions appears to be hurting the player base in my area. People have actually said they don't want to play without an official ruling or similar from FFG. They don't want to "waste their time" not playing correctly was the phrase.

I like you FFG, but you're not making it easy for a number of us. Radio silence is not what I want right now.

1 hour ago, Stoneface said:

You ruled correctly

MM is worded just fine and should not cause any argument whatsoever

You discard your bombs

Em triggers, discarding the tokens instead 

End of story, the process does not repeat 

EDIT: Jesus "I can hold it" Christ, people, it's LITERALLY in the rules ref (p 8, Card Abilities). Why is this up for debate?

Swear to God this is dumber than people thinking the TIE Adv. Prototype could take the Tie/x1 title. Don't be lazy, read the rules! 

Edited by ficklegreendice

2 hours ago, Stoneface said:

Yeah.  Stuff like this is kinda a huge beef for me.  FFG can't seriously take 2 seconds to drop a (possibly even qualified as "we are still undecided too") this is what we planned ruling on the message boards somewhere.

1 hour ago, Vineheart01 said:

The only list i made where i actually didnt want to put out all mines at once is more of a joke than an actual list. If they rule it where EM counts i will slap that onto Redline + 4 Clusters in a freakin heartbeat. Double punishers YEAHYEAH!

I am actually going to play MM for the first time tonight, and I'm going to play it broken.  We'll see how much chaos that causes.

30 minutes ago, ficklegreendice said:

You ruled correctly

MM is worded just fine and should not cause any argument whatsoever

You discard your bombs

Em triggers, discarding the tokens instead 

End of story, the process does not repeat 

Clearly not "worded just fine" because it does cause arguments.  Personally, I think the "token is not a card" rule is stupid:

Schrodinger's Bombay:  You have 4 Bombs.  Unless you look.  Then you only have 2 bombs and 2 tokens.  If you don't look, drop 4 bombs later in the game.

Moreover, since FFG has not bothered to comment, it seems almost no one is using MM for fear of "getting it wrong", so it is getting no field testing, and thus any FAQ ruling will not have the benefit of real world experience.

Edited by Darth Meanie

"causing arguments" != Unclear wording

Some people are either too sure of themselves or too lazy to look up things in the rule book because they've played the game enough to believe they understand everything intuitively

The wording is more than sound given the definitions presented in the rules reference. Not reading them is no excuse to pawn off MM as "unclear" 

Edited by ficklegreendice

Picture this for Shield tokens using three Scurrgs

3 VCX

2 FFG beers

2 ship movement packet inserts for the ships

1  copy of Arkham Horror

2 destiny dice

1 LOT5R crab clan

2 copies of twightlight imp 

and 2 FFG staff shirts

followed up with a mix of templates from every worlds and repainted ships that say don't Burgle agency

Edited by Cubanboy

8 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Clearly [Minefield Mapper is] not "worded just fine" because it does cause arguments.  Personally, I think the "token is not a card" rule is stupid:

It is literally impossible to word rules such that they are impervious to arguments.  The best you can do is word tightly ... the tighter the wording, the fewer intelligent arguments there will be.  The character limit on cards makes truly tight wording tougher than it would be with unrestricted space.

Minefield Mapper is only ambiguous until one bothers to work through the logic.  Once that's done, it boils down pretty easily to "you only have the opportunity to discard one bomb per card; whether that's an Extra Munitions token or not is up to you."

7 minutes ago, Managarmr said:

Jabba's sloppy formulation

This one has been solved.

The TO is instructed to ask the player base, "Is anyone playing with Jabba?". When nobody responds, he follows up with, "Alright, then nobody cares, round one pairing will be posted in a couple minutes."

6 minutes ago, Killerardvark said:

This one has been solved.

The TO is instructed to ask the player base, "Is anyone playing with Jabba?". When nobody responds, he follows up with, "Alright, then nobody cares, round one pairing will be posted in a couple minutes."

Food for thought,

the majority of people that play x-wing are not torny players. They are HOTAC/Mario Kart/ dirty casual players that want to hang out and get a game in. They want up to date rules that everyone can enjoy. I do think your post is funny, but for the majority of people that want consistency in each store they play a new FAQ would be nice. If the trony rules are tight then the causal players will be happy  which includes me a dirty causal player that drops 200-300 a year on x-wing. Out of all the people I know that play more are like me and have spent hundreds of not thousands that want up to date rules.

edit warhammer has some stupid but I never had a problem with the most of the rules and time to get an updated FAQ. I miss that in a Tabletop game

Edited by Cubanboy

1 minute ago, Cubanboy said:

Food for thought,

the majority of people that play x-wing are not torny players. They are HOTAC/Mario Kart/ dirty casual players that want to hang out and get a game in. They want up to date rules that everyone can enjoy. I do think your post is funny, but for the majority of people that want consistency in each store they play a new FAQ would be nice. If the trony rules are tight then the causal players will be happy.

Yeah I was just being funny, though I'm pretty sure you understood that.

For the casual folks, I agree that it would be nice to have all the questions answered, but it's simply not worth FFG's time to exhaustively answer those questions. Now I'm sure this will be an unpopular opinion, but frankly most of the more casual players can just come up with a judgement on their own and continue to play that way. I did it just the other day doing a campaign game of imperial assault. The group agreed on "what they prolly meant" and just moved on.

34 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

Yeah.  Stuff like this is kinda a huge beef for me.  FFG can't seriously take 2 seconds to drop a (possibly even qualified as "we are still undecided too") this is what we planned ruling on the message boards somewhere.

I am actually going to play MM for the first time tonight, and I'm going to play it broken.  We'll see how much chaos that causes.

Clearly not "worded just fine" because it does cause arguments.  Personally, I think the "token is not a card" rule is stupid:

Schrodinger's Bombay:  You have 4 Bombs.  Unless you look.  Then you only have 2 bombs and 2 tokens.  If you don't look, drop 4 bombs later in the game.

Moreover, since FFG has not bothered to comment, it seems almost no one is using MM for fear of "getting it wrong", so it is getting no field testing, and thus any FAQ ruling will not have the benefit of real world experience.

It’s not about how many bombs you have. It says you can discard Bomb “Upgrade Cards”.   You only have 1 bomb upgrade card per...bomb upgrade card. Extra munitions doesn’t give you an extra card, it just lets you discard it instead of the card. So you discard the EM token instead, and now you’ve already had the opportunity for that upgrade card and can’t resolve it again, so you move on.  

18 minutes ago, Jeff Wilder said:

It is literally impossible to word rules such that they are impervious to arguments.  The best you can do is word tightly ... the tighter the wording, the fewer intelligent arguments there will be.  The character limit on cards makes truly tight wording tougher than it would be with unrestricted space.

Minefield Mapper is only ambiguous until one bothers to work through the logic.  Once that's done, it boils down pretty easily to "you only have the opportunity to discard one bomb per card; whether that's an Extra Munitions token or not is up to you."

All I can say is that the gameplay logic is counter-intuitive to the idea that EM gives actual EM, when in fact it only gives "promissory notes" that can be refunded for actual munitions.

And all we need is a yay or nay from FFG.