Stay On The Leader

Sabine Wren Ghost - WIP

12 hours ago, Minaith said:

Too much wine for me. I would use more yellow.

I know what you mean but that was the starting principle of the whole paint scheme.  Sabine's actual armor/costume is mostly pretty dark colours, it's only her TIE Fighter that's really brought the yellow into it in a big way.

I love your ship. There are a lot of subtle things going on that I missed when I first looked at it, very clever of you.

Two questions: What's your plan with the Phantom portion of the ship? and:  What does the underside look like?

Edited by Force Majeure

31 minutes ago, Force Majeure said:

I love your ship. There are a lot of subtle things going on that I missed when I first looked at it, very clever of you.

Two questions: What's your plan with the Phantom portion of the ship? and:  What does the underside look like?

Thankyou sir!  I'm still trying to find excuses to add more details, my big problem is what to do with that one last yellow panel in the back quadrant, I've no plan for it.

The Phantom is now painted, and it's... it's ok.  I may have got the colours backwards.  Because the original paintjob of the shuttle is that it seamlessly continues the lines from the Ghost I wanted to do something different, but then maybe didn't go different enough.  I've painted the wing section in the wine colour with the lighter stripes on it, then the body and cockpit a mix of the greys.  The overall effect is it looks like a random purple square in the middle of the ship, and maybe I should have gone the other way and used the wine colour for the cockpit and the grey for the wings.  The other option, which I chickened out of, was to just go wild with yellow & blue and make it completely different to the main ship.

The underside is an afterthought and I've only done basics there so far, but I'm wrapping the colours around underneath then I'll just weather & highlight a bit.

There's always Simple Green...

Although I've never used it on a single area. It does its magic within 30 minutes or so. Maybe if you quarantined the area and applied it with cotton balls?

A Lothcat silhouette might fit nicely in that last yellow quadrant.

I think the green is clashing too much for my taste, especially given how prevalent the wine color is. Most of Sabine's art in the show isn't directly complementary; in the shot of her room you posted there's a lot of nice oranges with purples, and not yellows with purples.

I think using some muted purples (more towards the blue spectrum than red) would be really nice with what you already have! In fact you could probably rework the green areas into using more reds and purples and it'd come together better. Sabine's color choices are usually fairly bold and harmonious, and I think that's really coming through nicely on the Ghost's port side. Great work man!

Figured out what to do with the Shuttle as a compromise, btw.  When I come to paint the actual shuttle model (which obviously has the wings unfolded) I'll go bright yellow/blue on the inside of the wings, so it blends into the ship when docked but has more distinctive colours when it's out and about on its own.

I may tweak up the docked shuttle a bit though, it's pretty dull at present but I can fix that with some graffiti or something.

6 hours ago, Stay On The Leader said:

The green came pretty much verbatim from here... 

Gotcha, I'd forgotten about that wall in her quarters. I was more thinking of her general aesthetic which tends to focus on a nice analogous color block for most of the canvas, barring some details. Especially with your paint job, it really reminded me of her outfit which is why I think some purple would be really nice. I think your grays are a really great reference to her undershirt btw. 

Image result for sabine rebels

I entirely used Citadel paints from Games Workshop.

The key colour was the purple and it was based in Screamer Pink, which was just perfect for what I was going for - it's a really unusual red/purple mix.  That was then washed with their red wash, then highlighted back up by mixing Screamer Pink in with shades of red and orange.

The yellow was a base of Averland Sunset then lightened up with Kriel Yellow.  The orange used here was mixed up from orange/yellows til I was happy, but I think their Fire Bright is probably quite close.

I used Dawnstone as the base for the lighter grey, Mechanicus Standard Grey for the darker sections.

14 hours ago, Stay On The Leader said:

I entirely used Citadel paints from Games Workshop.

The key colour was the purple and it was based in Screamer Pink, which was just perfect for what I was going for - it's a really unusual red/purple mix.  That was then washed with their red wash, then highlighted back up by mixing Screamer Pink in with shades of red and orange.

The yellow was a base of Averland Sunset then lightened up with Kriel Yellow.  The orange used here was mixed up from orange/yellows til I was happy, but I think their Fire Bright is probably quite close.

I used Dawnstone as the base for the lighter grey, Mechanicus Standard Grey for the darker sections.

Cheers! And do keep showing off, I absolutely loved your rainbow Shadow Caster, too. :)