Srba

SRBA's Imperial Assault Painting Log

Hi IA Community. Just wanted to join in the sharing of painted minis, pretty much as a way of congratulating myself for the stamina it's taken to do this. I've painted minis before, but never tried to do this many, and have certainly never slogged through as many similar minis as the stormtroopers. One month in I've nearly finished the base set and have done a few others besides.

I've pretty much gone by-the-book with the paint scheme. I'm happy that I've managed to keep the quality fairly good but I did end up rushing some of the less interesting ones. Anyway, here are my factions so far. I'll chuck in some close-ups later if anybody's interested:

76w8V8r.jpg

ssE3NSz.jpg

iEUrlhu.jpg

Any feedbacks for improvement very gratefully received.

S

Edited by Srba

This is amazing considering the little time all of this took by your description - the minis look neat and I'd love to see some close-ups. Congrats - I always take my time with painting because I want everything to look the best, but it takes ages, so I'm always impressed by painters like you who get the minis to look good in such a short time.

This is amazing considering the little time all of this took by your description - the minis look neat and I'd love to see some close-ups. Congrats - I always take my time with painting because I want everything to look the best, but it takes ages, so I'm always impressed by painters like you who get the minis to look good in such a short time.

Well, in the interest of full disclosure, I started with a couple of miniature packs before I bought the full game so my month boast looks instantly less impressive. I guess I should start with those. These are the ones I painted before:

MEwqU4E.jpg

The auto-correction for the bad lighting is a bit intense.

3fcS7rh.jpg

1PeqwuT.jpg

Edited by Srba

Thanks so much for the positive remarks everyone. A few more:

I couldn't resist getting Weiss but, knowing he won't be making many appearances, didn't want to go over the top with the time investment. I think he looks decent enough if you don't look too closely.

QKvhD1h.jpg

Jabba was probably the most enjoyable to paint so far. Chewie I found much harder than I expected.

taedLcM.jpg

s1wYxF3.jpg

Captain Terro is one of my favourite miniatures, but he did feel like he took forever to paint. I decided to at least partly follow @Sorastro's tutorial for this, although I didn't really have the patience for all of it. Please with the eye - I'm not usually one for doing eyes.

Pp2h0Nn.jpg

2kHilsL.jpg

Edited by Srba
Added Terro

On 15/10/2017 at 3:45 PM, Srba said:

Jabba was probably the most enjoyable to paint so far. Chewie I found much harder than I expected.

Captain Terro is one of my favourite miniatures, but he did feel like he took forever to paint. I decided to at least partly follow @Sorastro's tutorial for this, although I didn't really have the patience for all of it. Please with the eye - I'm not usually one for doing eyes.

These are all excellent, and Jabba and Chewie both look particularly fantastic.  Add me to the list of people who can't believe the pace you've produced these at. I've done Core through Hoth, but it has taken me a year and a half, and to a lower standard! :P

I'm right there with you on the eyes thing. My hands are never steady enough. I've really appreciated the aliens with big eyes like the Rodians in the Hired Guns pack, and the Trandoshans. Nice big eyes!

1 hour ago, udat said:

These are all excellent, and Jabba and Chewie both look particularly fantastic.  Add me to the list of people who can't believe the pace you've produced these at. I've done Core through Hoth, but it has taken me a year and a half, and to a lower standard! :P

I'm right there with you on the eyes thing. My hands are never steady enough. I've really appreciated the aliens with big eyes like the Rodians in the Hired Guns pack, and the Trandoshans. Nice big eyes!

Thanks very much. I don’t really know how it happened as I’ve been pretty busy with work too. Anyway, I’m going to have a bit of a rest and then crack on with Twin Shadows before the players in my campaign pick any of the TS sidequests.

And yes, with eyes, I also think you don’t get a lot of return on your investment for eyes if you really go for them on most of the normal humanoid figures. Most of them don’t really show them off that much. Except for core Luke: is it just me or does he have one really big eye?

Edited by Srba

58 minutes ago, Srba said:

And yes, with eyes, I also think you don’t get a lot of return on your investment for eyes if you really go for them on most of the normal humanoid figures. Most of them don’t really show them off that much. Except for core Luke: is it just me or does he have one really big eye?

I have seen a lot of minis over the years with distorted eyes. It won't show till you try and paint them. Then you realize that they are offset, different sizes, etc. This is, I think, partly a normal process of the molding process, uneven cooling, etc. The really old metal ones were all unique due to the nature of casting back then.

8 hours ago, TauntaunScout said:

I have seen a lot of minis over the years with distorted eyes. It won't show till you try and paint them. Then you realize that they are offset, different sizes, etc. This is, I think, partly a normal process of the molding process, uneven cooling, etc. The really old metal ones were all unique due to the nature of casting back then.

It's probably this, but I like to think Luke has one eye closed and one open to help him aim his blaster :D

On 02/11/2017 at 4:04 PM, udat said:

Really nice.  I like the bearded officer! :)

I just painted Greedo a few days ago, and he is one of my favourite minis so far, although his pose makes it hard to get to some of him.  The colour palette is great though. So seventies!

My attempt:

Hide contents

26217701929_7b79f01b4f.jpg

Really nice Greedo. Looks super clean and neat. I got around to painting mine tonight. Not a masterpiece but probably the quickest non-generic I’ve painted so far:

t8VF0Of.jpg