Velvetelvis

Do you think the game is actually just following the general trend of star wars merchandise just....not being very good anymore?

Face it fellow nerds, star wars merchandise in general has just gotten awful since the Disney takeover.

Toy store shelves are glutted up with crap products that noone wants. There's force awakens stuff that's been there for two years now collecting dust.

Now....back in the day...when I was a young man, star wars products seemed to ALMOST mean something.sure there was stupid cups and hot wheels but there's a collector market for those action figures and vehicles still going on. 

Speaking of hot wheels...why on this great earth has hot wheels merged with star wars? It's beyond ridiculous. There isn't a car in any star wars story.

Ok. Anyways....

Something has gone seriously wrong with star wars merchandising. It's off a cliff. Quality is garbage. Collectors don't want it.kids don't want it. 

Nobody wants it.

I wonder if the last few waves are somehow tied up in this mess of " **** write star wars on it and it will be great".

Even if it's not.

And,

It's not.

In a nutshell, no. From a collector's perspective the true Star Wars Nuts are up in age and ready to dispose of their collections of the OT. From a kid's stand point, they can't get their noses out of their phones, pads or video games long enough to collect anything.

I think the market is over saturated with "stuff" from the movies. With three stand-alone and another trilogy, the market is drowning. I believe there was seven years between episodes 4 and 5. Now we're getting one a year.

It's only natural that this tsunami will spill over into this game. There's no sense in waiting a year to release ship's that will show up this December. Hopefully FFG has their fecal matter together when they release the new ships and upgrades. I feel that screwed up releases from the new movies will do more to kill this game than any OP release that's already on the table.

29 minutes ago, Velvetelvis said:

star wars merchandise in general has just gotten awful since the Disney takeover.

Some evidence is needed here.

Pretty sure nostalgia is putting you in a compromised position. I don’t think anyone would doubt with nostalgia aside, a kid from the 80’s would trade his whole collection to get a taste of what Star Wars toys (video games and all) offer in today’s day and age. 

6 minutes ago, Kdubb said:

Some evidence is needed here.

Pretty sure nostalgia is putting you in a compromised position. I don’t think anyone would doubt with nostalgia aside, a kid from the 80’s would trade his whole collection to get a taste of what Star Wars toys (video games and all) offer in today’s day and age. 

The lightsabres are notably worse (by which I mean the toys, not custom builds like sabreforge)

27 minutes ago, Stoneface said:

I think the market is over saturated with "stuff" from the movies. With three stand-alone and another trilogy, the market is drowning. I believe there was seven years between episodes 4 and 5. Now we're getting one a year.

I more or less think this is part of the issue but seven years? What on earth are you talking about? They made the entire OT in less than 7 years. 

5 hours ago, Velvetelvis said:

Face it fellow nerds, star wars merchandise in general has just gotten awful since the Disney takeover...

...well, I can't speak for merch in general, but the quality in this game has definitely improved.  Compare the detail and paintwork on the T-65 or TIE Fighter in the original core  set to the ones in the Force Awakens core set, for example.  The models have definitely improved over time.

Designs are somewhat uninspired, but nostalgia is clouding your judgement.

In Spain in the 80s we only had the mattel figures, which are quite crappy, and costed a kidney. My parents were in not a good economical situation in that moment, and i couldn't even had a **** snowspeeder.

I recently bought an unmasked Kylo for sale (15€ for a die cast figure!)

http://nerdist.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Disney-Store-Kylo-Ren-in-box-12182015.jpg

And you may not like the character, but it's a pretty good toy, and looks like the actor.

And i would have KILLED to have access to all the LEGO STARWARS when i was a kid...

Edited by Malasombra
pic didnt happen :(

8 hours ago, Cryix said:

I more or less think this is part of the issue but seven years? What on earth are you talking about? They made the entire OT in less than 7 years. 

My bad. You're right, Episode V was only three years after the first. 

I really shouldn't post after 10:00 PM.

I wouldn't know. The last product I bought was back in 2005 and was some of the cool Lego sets from Ep3.

Some of the prequel stuff was cool some not so much. If I was made of money and had more places to display it, I might buy into some of the cooler Lego kits but my nerd budget goes directly into this game I enjoy.

Before the prequels there was the brief revisit of OT stuff which was pretty cool... But I was also a kid then. And at 10, that was pretty neat to finally have star wars stuff when I was too young for the 80s stuff but loved the trilogy. Shadows of the Empire was my first jump into EU and that was great.

9 hours ago, SabineKey said:

Hasbro's Black Series is turning out some good looking figures, including a Darth Revan figure I want very dearly. You have remote control droids, X-Wing drones, and on and on. 

I honestly do not understand where this sentiment is coming from.

I routinely scan the SW isle at Target.  SW toy turnover seems normal-to-good to me.  And if it wasn't, Target would turn over that real estate to some other toy.

Can we start a subforum for people who actually hate Star Wars but like to pretend they like SW but it just isn't good enough so they are forced to hate it.

10 hours ago, Velvetelvis said:

Now....back in the day...when I was a young man, star wars products seemed to ALMOST mean something.sure there was stupid cups and hot wheels but there's a collector market for those action figures and vehicles still going on. 

Scarcity makes a collectors market, not quality.

There was far more garbage produced for the films before Disney took over, While I wouldn't call all of what the House of Mouse drops out as great quality items, it sure as **** isn't worse than when Lucas ran the show.

5 minutes ago, PastrySandwich said:

While I wouldn't call all of what the House of Mouse drops out as great quality items, it sure as **** isn't worse than when Lucas ran the show.

I guess we could go back to the late '80s, where the whole IP was more or less dead, with no certainty of resurrection.

6 hours ago, FTS Gecko said:

...well, I can't speak for merch in general, but the quality in this game has definitely improved.  Compare the detail and paintwork on the T-65 or TIE Fighter in the original core  set to the ones in the Force Awakens core set, for example.  The models have definitely improved over time.

the t65s were bad, but i think painting and modeling crapped out after wave 8. i love the G1a but both of mine came warped with a gap in the nose, the t70s are grey instead of rebel white with no detail, then theres the massively of scale issues recently(looking at you upsilon and scurrg), plus unplayably op bull. when i saw what Nym could do i started selling of ships

38 minutes ago, Darth Meanie said:

I guess we could go back to the late '80s, where the whole IP was more or less dead, with no certainty of resurrection.

i prefer the 90s, when excellent games told great stories, books and comics were everywhere, and lucasarts still had directional control. Force awakens was worse than Revenge of the sith and waaay worse than clone wars

1 hour ago, ficklegreendice said:

Don't understand the complaints relvency to xwing

The model quality is superb apart from the odd bent SCURRG gun in package 

This is a solid point.the actual quality of the components is great. And has improved since it started.

But it does feel like a drop in quality mechanically. There seems to be less thought going into the new cards.