Timathius

PAX UNPLUGGED OFFICIALLY A SYSTEM OPEN

They just announced this on twitter, no prizes or anything

here is the registration link 

https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?oeidk=a07eenwziep29e69a7c&oseq=&c=&ch=

new format as well 

Stage 1 is 3 rounds of swiss play. Earn 2 or more wins advance to Stage 2. Stage 2 is 3 rounds of swiss play. Earn 5 or more combined wins advance to Stage 3. Stage 3 is a single elimination bracket of all qualified players to determine a System Open Champion. Top 8 players earn invite to Coruscant Invitational. Champion earns invite, travel and accomodations to Coruscant Invitational You must purchase a PAX Unplugged badge to participate in these events. www.paxsite.com

and a new side event format as well

6 rounds of Swiss Play. Earn prizes for each win. Undefeated Players earn an invite to the Coruscant Invitational. You must purchase a PAX Unplugged badge to participate in this event. www.paxsite.com

Edited by Timathius

Wow. This sounds like a really impressive event. Doing away with MoV in both events while also giving incentive to win in the side event is awesome. Only wish is that the side event was the format they are using with some sort of interesting squad building restriction in addition. It’s still leaning pretty heavily towards the Spike players without anything like that being implemented. But hey, that’s fine too.

15 minutes ago, shadowswalker said:

I wonder where the Coruscant Invitational is going to be held.  If I remember right, there is not going to be a Star Wars Celebration in 2018.

Unsure, but it’s going to be a lot bigger all the top 8 and the undefeateds from the side event get invited. Only champion gets full fare though. 

Surely the Coruscant Open is just going to be at FFG headquarters next year.  At least it will mean that it will be streamed this time.  

Now to wonder whether Australia will host one next year or not (not that I am an Aussie, but it’s easy enough to get to from New Zealand).

13 minutes ago, Stay On The Leader said:

Coruscant Invitational sounds like it might be a Worlds replacement.  Even if they run a separate World Champs as well, the Invitational will be the more prestigious event if it's invite-only.

I doubt it will replace Worlds.  This year it was an exclusive, 8 player tournament.  By the looks of this article, the number of participants will increase in 2018, but not to Worlds, Continental or even Nationals levels.

15 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

I doubt it will replace Worlds.  This year it was an exclusive, 8 player tournament.  By the looks of this article, the number of participants will increase in 2018, but not to Worlds, Continental or even Nationals levels.

Doesn't have to be the same size to be a replacement.  If they've been struggling with managing demand for an open event then a possible solution could be to create a smaller invitation-only event.

2 hours ago, Stay On The Leader said:

Doesn't have to be the same size to be a replacement.  If they've been struggling with managing demand for an open event then a possible solution could be to create a smaller invitation-only event.

Nah I think that there is space for both. They could be at the same time though. Or, they may just hand it all over to cascade. 

You guys all missed the Hyperspace Qualifiers, so not only System Open Tournament qualification but you have a 6 Round and 5 Round Hyperspace qualifier, where the undefeated players get invited to the Coruscant Invitation as well.

Friday

"- 6 Rounds Swiss
- Undefeated players earn invite to Coruscant Invitational."

Sunday

- 5 Rounds Swiss
- Undefeated players earn invite to Coruscant Invitational.
- Players who qualify for System Open Finals and are eliminated can join with byes any time before Top 8 of the Open Finals.

so..... is this the only system open event this year? will others pop up? huh.  I'd love to do another. last year's was soooo fun. but this one is way on the other side of the country for me. this one is only a month out. strange we haven't seen an official announcement.

2 minutes ago, PanchoX1 said:

so..... is this the only system open event this year? will others pop up? huh.  I'd love to do another. last year's was soooo fun. but this one is way on the other side of the country for me. this one is only a month out. strange we haven't seen an official announcement.

I'm pretty sure this will be one of many qualification events throughout the next 6 to 9 months.   

Edited by kingargyle

2 hours ago, PanchoX1 said:

There will be more.... Oh yes, there will be more.