Timathius

PAX UNPLUGGED OFFICIALLY A SYSTEM OPEN

Hey everyone,

Steve from Cascade Games here. The PAX Unplugged X-Wing Open will be the first of several System Opens between now and mid 2018. We are currently working on getting these scheduled and publicized.  Keep an eye on our site (www.cascadegames.com) for more info as it comes available.  My goal is to have the rest of these set and scheduled before PAX Unplugged so everyone can plan their season. What I can tell you is there will be a few more than last year with a better geographic spread to make it easier for travel.

We are really looking forward to this year's System Opens and having a great time with one of the best communities in all of gaming!

Thanks!

Steve!

Well this blows I want to attend but I work retail so the weekend before thanksgiving makes it a total lost for me since I can’t get the time off even tho I can afford to go. No pity needed just hate the scheduling of these big events 

1 minute ago, Timathius said:

Because everyone gets to play 3 games no matter what. So its not single elim 

Maybe you didn't read my post, I said double-elimination.You are effectively eliminated from the tournament after 2 losses, that's double ellimination.

I get that some people might want to keep playing after they get eliminated, but those games are going to be less fun than if they were offered as a side event after round 4 ends because the player knows they are completely pointless, at least in pure Swiss you can play for a higher final standing even if you know you're not going to make cut.

23 minutes ago, Tvboy said:

Maybe you didn't read my post, I said double-elimination.You are effectively eliminated from the tournament after 2 losses, that's double ellimination.

I get that some people might want to keep playing after they get eliminated, but those games are going to be less fun than if they were offered as a side event after round 4 ends because the player knows they are completely pointless, at least in pure Swiss you can play for a higher final standing even if you know you're not going to make cut.

thats still not double elimination though. They get to play three games. 

You also don't know how they are doing prizes. In short, maybe wait to see full details instead of complaining. We finally have a system where MOV doesn't matter and there is immediately a complaint. FFG just can't win. 

2 hours ago, Timathius said:

thats still not double elimination though. They get to play three games. 

You also don't know how they are doing prizes. In short, maybe wait to see full details instead of complaining. We finally have a system where MOV doesn't matter and there is immediately a complaint. FFG just can't win. 

1) The extra games are meaningless after a player goes x-2, they could play a pick-up game or an epic game or a hunger game and it would have the same amount of relevance to the tournament, except the player will be stuck forced to use the same list and know that the game they are playing is meaningless. Instead they could cut those players loose so they can go enjoy Pax or play something else without feeling like quitters, and then if people really want to play more tournament games, they could hold a side event where the games actually mean something. 

2) If they are going to be giving meangingful prizes away to players that don't even make it to the single-elim rounds, they should save those and give them away in a side event instead. 

3) I'm not complaining that it's double elimination, I actually that's a really good format for conventions like this so that players have a clear idea of when they can stop playing and go enjoy the rest of the convention and to quickly reduce the number of players that the TO has to manage as the rounds go on, and as you said it doesn't have to take MOV into account. I just think it's weird that they are trying to reinvent how double-elimination works and they should call it what it is and hold a side event for people that want to play more. 

4) This event is being organized by Cascade Games, not FFG, they are a third party organizer that also organizes big tournaments for non-FFG games like Magic: the Gathering. FFG didn't decide on this format, I'm guessing if FFG was running it it would probably be swiss with a cut to top 8. 

Edited by Tvboy