MonCal

Building a solo explorer adventurer

89 posts in this topic

22 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

By the way i'd give here a "dragoon cavalry blaster" (can be used as a pistol or carbine) from stay on target, 8 damage accurate 1 (add a boost die), stun setting, enc 1 and enough hard points for later.

If she has that gear she should be able to take out the previously described 2 minion groups of 2 minion each in under 6 rounds.

And add on a modified augmented spin barrel and superior... it'll hit with what 12 damage when it's in carbine mode? Then another attachment to add to the pistol damage rating and you have one heck of a weapon that is good for most situations and skill levels... it's my go to blaster... Just a little pricy for a starting character.

As to how to manage combat play... yeah keep her opposition in check with her skills and weapons but also give her a combat npc to tag along.

How many characters can you name in sw that run solo? Most have at least 1 npc to tag along... often a droid. Sometimes a combat droid sometimes an astromech and sometimes a protocol.

We are not that keen on weapon mods. Why? Because we are noobs and do not want to mess so much with the system yet. All those modifications make my head spin, since I am already struggling to remember everything in the core book! :P I am sure they are all great suggestions, but might go a little bit too far for me as GM. And I do not have all the books ( I actually hate having to fish around for rules), so no dragoon cavalry blaster around. Sounds like a great weapon, but a regular carabine or rifle should do here. We have Fly Casual, the Hutt book, and the explorer book. Also AoR core book and beyond the Rim adventure. 

So we prefer to assume weapons are OK as they are. At least yet. She will have plenty of resources (we decided she will have unlimited access to all the small stuff in the core book as default, as basic supplies for an explorer), but we agreed that she will have to pay for weapons and armor. She invested 10 build points in it for a total of 3000 credits, so she is not THAT rich xD The suggestions seem to skyrocket the price of the weapon beyond that limit, and without taking into account other weapons(like a pistol or the model 77) and armor. 

Conceptually syhe is an explorer, fringer, bgh. So going load out on high grade military weaponry does not fit her that well. However, she might need larger firepower for what you say, so something like an automatic carabine might be needed when she explores on her own...

I will also look into having a pair of carabine/taser armed droids for exploration and companions. Good call there. 

So, those are our limits (300 credits for weapons and armor) and the core book plus the other books for options. Seems like we will have to decrease the opposition. And get a hbetter handle of the rules. Thanks for all the pointers so far. As a noob GM in the system I really appreciate them :D 

Hi all,

Long post with lots of ranting ahead, be warned.

We have been Building the character. As said, she will be a human from Hutt Space working for the Armoured Hutts from Circumtore. These guys have a very strict policy on weaponry, and it is supposed that this must have washed on the character. In fact the Player is not specially trigger happy here, preferring exploration over solving problems with the shiny part of a blaster.

She will be a Human explorer named Ylia, with the Fringer and Explorer talent trees. Why not Archeologist? Becuase it does not fit the character that well. She is an action girl, more than a scholar, be it Indiana Jones or Dumbledore. So fringer fits better. And well, hutt space *IS* the fringe after all. From what we have read it is not the most optimal choice, but it fits, and being a solo saga for the most part, it does not seem to be a huge issue either.

Now, CHARACTERISTICS.

3 3 2 3 2 2

Having a 2 in Intellect is suboptimal for us, but we will be using the other characteristics for a lot of things, so we prefer to keep her that way. It detracts from the Mental capacity of the character, so we will need something like a Wikipedia to boost her knowledge rolls.  somewhat. We chose Athletics as one of the Human skills (the careers do not give it). The other will be K: Underworld (living in Hutt Space!).  

SKILLS

We have already spent 90 XP and we are not in the Skills section yet! xD

For skills we chose Fringer as our primary Talent tree. Selected abilities are listed in bold:

Astrogation

Athletics (Human) 1

Cool

Coordination (Fringer)

Negotiation (Fringer) 1

Pilot Starship 1

Perception 1

Ranged Heavy (BGH) 1

Streetwise (Fringer) 1

Stealth (BGH) 1

Survival 1

K: Outer Rim 1

K: Lore

K: Underworld (Human) 1

K: Xenology 1 (paid with XP)

The point in Athletics and K: Underworks (Hutt Space!) ar eprovided by her human race.

We also invest 15 points in Ranged Heavy 1, Stealth 1 and K: Xenology 1. We will let the droids deal with Astrogation.

So far so good. A nice spread of abilities, or so we hope at least. 

TALENTS & ADVANTAGES

Now we enter Talent area. As said, we have already spent 90 XP in characteristics, and 15 points in Skills, so we already almost ran out of our 110 starting XP! We add 40 points in Obligation that leaves us with 45 more points to spend.

The Obligation 45 will be towards the Armoured Hutts. She will be playing for them and we want her to have a strong incentive to work for them even if she is a free-floating agent, searching for stuff though space. They have given her a ship, droids, equipment and a living, so they expect a return on their investment. And she is a human, so an inferior race that is incapable to operate without Hutt supervision from time to time. At least in the Hutt’s opinion. Better to keep the kids on a short leash.

We take 10 for 2500 additional credits, for a grand total of 3000. We decided that she will need to pay for Arms and Armor from this total. The rest of common and sensible explorer equipment will be provided to her on a Player-DM basis per adventure. Stimpacks, backpacks, rappelling equipment... and the like will be available. However, if she wants fancy stuff like a jetpack will have to pay for it as well.

So, 30 points to go after the 3000 credits (to be spent later)

We select the following Talents:

Street Smarts (fringer). Removes one drawback from Streeetwise and K: Underworld rolls [5]

Rapid recovery (fringer). +1 strain Recovery [5]

Stalker (BGH). Boos tot Stealth and Coordination rolls. [5]

Outdoorsman (BGH). Removes drawback for moving through terrain. Move at double speed. [5]

Forager (BGH). Removes 2 drawbacks from Survival rolls to find food shelter or warer. Half time [5]

Toughened (BGH). +2 Wounds [10]

35 points in total.

EQUIPMENT

This is the part where we are more lost since our experience in the game is limited. We have no idea about if Soak is better than Defence or the other way around. Well, we kinda know but we do not know if we shoiuld be investing in Defence or not at all.

She wants to have a Model 77 Air Gun, since it fits with the Armoured Hutts. In fact it was the other way around, she selected the gun and we found it to be cool with these concrete hutts and the character built itself from there. But anyway, she fancies a model 77.

That is 1100 credits.

As secondary weapons a blaser pistol seems desirable (400) since you cannot carry a large gun all the time, and if she faces several enemies she will bneed firepower. We are not sure if the Model 77 will be enough there since it is a hunting weapon, really.

If we need a more expeditive weapon, there is a carabine in the Hutt book (PCA Carabine) with the Automatic ability. 7 Damage, critical 3. Should she need it, it costs 1000 credits.

We have no idea on what armour to give her. Adverse Enviromental Gear (Soak 1, defense 0) seems a good option, but we are open to suggestions if people think that heavy clothing, padded armor, armor clothing or whatever should be a better fit here.

So, assuming basic assumptions for Equipment, she will own:

-          Enviromental Gear (defence 0, soak 1, Enc 2) [500 credits]

-          Model 77 air gun [1100]

-          Blaster Pistol [400]

-          100 remaining credits. The damage 7, automatic PCA carabine costs 100 credits exactly if she needs firepower...

And this si what we have done so far with her numerically. Suggestions welcome.

FINAL VALUES:

SOAK: 4

Wounds: 15

Strain 12

I will run her through the Toydorian planet adventure in the Hutt book for starters (with some small changes), so it should prove n OK area for her skills.

Looking OK?

Someone suggested giving her 50 extra points as well. If we did, what would you improve? Talents? Abilities? 

Unfortunately, you can only add + 10 to starting Obligation granting + 10 extra starting XP. If you want more than that, you have to make her Knight Level, which grants 150 "earned" XP. 

Correct and incorrect. I failed here since I assigned obligation without starting obligation value. however, it is a starting SOLO character, so I can easily scale this to +30 obligation (for a total obligation of +60 for her). Back to the drawing board it seems. 

Never heard of this Knight level thing. Where is it?

1 minute ago, MonCal said:

Correct and incorrect. I failed here since I assigned obligation without starting obligation value. however, it is a starting SOLO character, so I can easily scale this to +30 obligation (for a total obligation of +60 for her). Back to the drawing board it seems. 

Never heard of this Knight level thing. Where is it?

Knight level is found in the Force & Destiny core book. It's on pages 104, and 321-322

7 minutes ago, MonCal said:

We do not have that book. will do without then :)

You don't need it. The gist of it is a Knight level character is given 150 extra XP immediately after he has completed his character to spend on skills, talents, specializations, and/or Force powers (not characteristics),though skills cannot be raised above rank 3. He is also granted either a basic lightsaber (obviously for aspiring Jedi) or 9,000 credits worth of gear, which can include a vehicle. That's it in a nutshell.

Edited by Tramp Graphics

Ok, after being pointed out that we messed up the Obligation of the character, back to the drawing board. I will comment the changes when I talk with the player tomorrow.

Basic layout:

Base Obligation 30. She can go up to 60 obligation if she fancies it.

Human Explorer Fringer and a bonus Big game hunter for 0 cost. That is 110 XP, 500 credits and 2 level 1 abilities.

NAME: Ylia Nalar

CHARACTERISTICS: [90 XP]

3 3 2 3 2 2

ABILITIES [15 XP] (Listed all his Career characteristics)

Astrogation

Athletics (Human) 1

Cool 

Coordination (Fringer)

Negotiation (Fringer) 1

Pilot Starship 1

Perception 1

Ranged Heavy (BGH) 1

Streetwise (Fringer) 1

Stealth (BGH) 1

Survival 1

K: Xenology 1

Xenology, Steath and Ranged (Heavy) paid with XP

TALENTS [25 XP]

Street Smarts (fringer). Removes one drawback from Streetwise and K: Underworld rolls [5]

Stalker (BGH). Boos tot Stealth and Coordination rolls. [5]

Outdoorsman (BGH). Removes drawback for moving through terrain. Move at double speed. [5]

Forager (BGH). Removes 2 drawbacks from Survival rolls to find food shelter or water. Half time [5]

Removed Toughened

EQUIPMENT [10 Obligation XP for 3000 total credits]

Enviromental Gear (Defence 0, Soak 1, Enc 2) [500 credits]

Model 77 air gun [1100] 

Blaster Pistol [400]

1000 remaining credits. The damage 7, automatic PCA carabine costs 1000 credits exactly if you think she needs firepower...

So, to get this we need to invest 90 + 15 + 25 + 10 XP = 140 XP. A human has 110 XP to start, so she can do it investing her full obligation complement. Right?

Final Obligation = 60

Soak: 4

Wounds: 13

Strain 12

Sounds right?

10 hours ago, MonCal said:

Ok, after being pointed out that we messed up the Obligation of the character, back to the drawing board. I will comment the changes when I talk with the player tomorrow.

Basic layout:

Base Obligation 30. She can go up to 60 obligation if she fancies it.

As I understand the RAW in regards to obligation you can start her at 30 and she can choose to take on 30 more. She can only take each option 1 time and only take up to her starting value... hence 30+30.

If she so chooses she can start with +15 xp and +3500credits giving her 125 xp and 4000 starting credits (110xp+10xp+5xp+500c+2500c+1000c)

Then you can tack on and have her starting as a knight level character as was mentioned to you previously for another 150xp+9000c. That gives a total of 275 xp and 13000 credits to start. That gives a lot of options to her.

***Now I'm not sure of this but I believe you can also let her have duty and she could take those same starting obligation choices as duty choices to get another 15 xp and 3500 credits for 290 xp and 17000 credits... but I'm not sure if that would fly... might be ok as a house rule but I'm not sure it is RAW. And that also depends on her character... is she a rebel sleeper agent? Sympathizer? ... Just putting it out there as another possibility.***(I see this potentially raising a lot of debate which isn't my intent so please note my observation that it probably doesn't fly RAW)

*And as I understand it you don't need a particular book to utilize a particular item in that book. Nor for talent trees... any and all trees are open to you (with gm approval of course) which means that by using fore mentioned websites she can shop alot! And you will find all pertinant stats for a particular item on a few different sites... sans the fluff that is... but the fluff doesnt USUALLY have much mechanics info in it.*

So for the dr45 dragon it is

Http://swrpg.viluppo.net/equipment/weapons/1654/

And another good one is 

http://swrpg.viluppo.net/equipment/weapons/2760/ (blaster carbine with auto fire in keeping the peace)

And so many more... but if she wants non lethal just look for stun damage weapons rather than stun setting.

As for armour... There is a karflo thinsuit which reduces 2 setback dice I believe for all environmental detriments including partial vacuum which also gives 1 soak and can be worn under other clothing / armour. Match that with heavy cargo clothing (an extrapolation) which lets her have 1 soak and carry 3 encumberance 1 items without effecting her total encumberance giving +2 soak total which equals laminate armour and doesn't attract as much attention.

Also if she has survival she could make her own clothing and potentially add a soak to each of those items... maybe 2 soak if her roll was good enough. But that is in keeping the peace (although you can find the rules for that around on the web if she is interested). Karflo thinsuit of +3 soak and heavy cargo clothing of +3 soak for +6 would make it really hard to land any damage on her in a fight... heck she could only really be hurt by a lightsaber then due to its breach1 which is aka pierce 10 meaning it goes through 10 soak or 1 armour.

As to which is better soak vs defense... defense adds a black setback die per rank of defense making it harder to hit while soak lessens the effects of the hits you receive. Both are good and important but the higher the soak the less damage you'll take every hit while the dice have a tendency to come up blank in my experience.

If she is going to run into combat then vigilance and or cool are both important as well as the base attribute /stat... So long as you use the initative rules properly.

*When I start a character I would rather go for the xp and the base stats. Easier to buy them at char gen than later on. So I take 120 of starting xp and boost 4 characteristics to a 3 each... b.a.w or p and one other (depending on her needs of course )

The more dice u roll the easier it is to succeed and with only 2 dice to roll it's hard... even if they are yellow. 

You have to remember she will be given xp as she plays to spend on talents and skills she doesn't have much of.

Wow. Sorry for the book.

MonCal likes this

So, you recommend

Intellect 3 (+30)

Drop Survival, ranged:heavy and k:xenology (-15)

Drop 15 Talent points (toughened, rapid recovery and forager) (-15). She keeps Street Smarts and Stalker, both from the Fringer talent tree. 

Keep the 10 obligation dedicated to Equipment so she has 3000 total resources to spend on equipment (0)

Then we enter the equipment section. I will discuss it with the player this afternoon, as well as the options of giving her more resources and CAP. So far the character is a vanilla one (except that she has the so far unused BGH tree and skills available). Let's see what we come up with.

Thanks a lot for the advice guys!!!! :D

6 hours ago, MonCal said:

So, you recommend

Intellect 3 (+30)

Drop Survival, ranged:heavy and k:xenology (-15)

Drop 15 Talent points (toughened, rapid recovery and forager) (-15). She keeps Street Smarts and Stalker, both from the Fringer talent tree. 

Keep the 10 obligation dedicated to Equipment so she has 3000 total resources to spend on equipment (0)

Not quite... 

I would recommend... if she wants... to let her start at 30 ob. And then take all 4 options which gives her 4000 credits and 15 extra xp. (The problem with this... the down side... is that with 60 total ob. it is going to trigger rather frequently and when her visiting drop in pcs are there it will always trigger... at least till she pays her ob down)

Then I would recommend letting her start at knight level for another additional 150 xp and 9000 credits since the first 5 to 10 sessions are the hardest to be successful in.

* all knight level means really is that she is starting as a more mature and experianced character not necessarily that she is a Jedi knight*

This would allow her to have 4 attributes at 3 and 155 xp to buy her skills and talents that she wants.

And don't forget that she gets a free rank in something like 6 of her career skills and 2 of her first specialization skills... afb and don't recall exact numbers...

As to specs... I would recommend driver (full throttle and supreme f.t. are big talents for vehicle / ship operation and gunnery skill is usefull for ship combat) bgh and fringer if she wants to stay in her career... otherwise recruit could be a great option since it gives so many career skills... gunnery rl rh brawl melee p.p. vigilance... So many it is just so worth it. Gunslinger and gambler are so worth it too... double or nothing rocks as a talent and 2 fisted pistols are great.

Of course it's your table and her character so just my 2 cents (which in canada isnt worth anything)

MonCal likes this

OBLIGATION: 40 (20+20)

CHARACTERISTICS: [120 XP]

3 3 3 3 2 2

ABILITIES [0 XP]

Astrogation

Athletics (Human) 1

Cool

Coordination (Fringer)

Negotiation (Fringer) 1

Pilot Starship

Perception 1

Ranged Heavy (BGH)

Streetwise (Fringer) 1

Stealth (BGH)

Survival 1

K: Xenology 1

TALENTS [10 XP]

Street Smarts (fringer). Removes one drawback from Streeetwise and K: Underworld rolls [5]

EQUIPMENT [0 XP] 500 credits.

Heavy Clothing (Defence 0, Soak 1, Enc 1) [50 credits]

Blaster Pistol [400]

Commlink [25]

1 Stim pack [25]

Final Obligation = 40

Soak: 4

Wounds: 13

Strain 12

This would be Ylia as a starting fresh character. She is a fringer through and through, with few if any combat capabilities. She is versed in living in her Circumtore underworld, and has started to work for the Hutts from time to time, but has a long way to go. Now we build from there and make her an explorer. Man, she sucks right now xD Good characteristics spread, but very bad capabilities or resources.

jayc007 likes this