Sign in to follow this  
Hos

What to buy next after base set

Hi all, recently purchased Mansions of Madness second edition, played a few games, love it. Bought a couple dlc off steam. 

Sorry I'm a bit confused what expansion to buy next to get some extra scenarios to play with, there's like two versions of an upgrade from first edition, and one proper expansion (with another coming soon). Any recommendations? 

I think it depends on what you are looking for. If you are looking for more scenarios, I would probably go for Beyond the Threshold (or wait for Streets of Arkham), but if you are looking for more investigators or more variation in tiles and monsters, Recurring Nightmares or Suppressed Memories might be more your thing.

Edit: it is early in the morning for me, so I did not see the part where you said that you wanted more scenarios to play with. In that case I would go for Beyond the Threshold or Streets of Arkham. Recurring Nightmares and Suppressed Memories only unlock a single scenario each, whereas the two actual expansions unlock 2 and 3 scenarios, respectively, as far as I remember.

Edited by Sodiumbrella

I would highly recommend Beyond the Threshold as your first expansion at this point. I also own Recurring nightmares and I always felt underwhelmed with its price and how much use you get out of it. Any of the tiles and monsters collections only add one scenario each, and some alternative maps to two of the base scenarios (and for What Lies Within DLC). Half of the monsters are yet to show in any scenario for me, and although the investigators are nice and the maps add some variety, I always felt the contents are underused. Beyond is a great expansions, adds 2 investigators and cards and stuff, plus two scenarios and some new tiles, for like half the price. 

Beyond will scratch the itch up until Streets of Arkham comes out in November :) 

16 hours ago, Vazzucious said:

Beyond the Threshold also adds the memorized status which causes some chaotic fun. Silverwood Manor is a pretty good scenario too.

You mean mesmerized :) it gets the award to Most confusing wording on a card in Mansions of Madness, but it's true it gives some unpredictable actions after your turn that makes it quite interesting. 

Edited by Juan4aigle
typo

6 hours ago, Juan4aigle said:

You mean mesmerized :) it gets the award to Most confusing wording on a card in Mansions of Madness, but it's true it gives some unpredictable actions after your turn that makesit quite interesting. 

Love that line... an alien will takes control of your mind! Almost everyone I play with reads it wrong at some point. I keep waiting for the tangible 'aliens' to come take over their investigators!

On 10/11/2017 at 8:41 AM, Juan4aigle said:

You mean mesmerized :) it gets the award to Most confusing wording on a card in Mansions of Madness, but it's true it gives some unpredictable actions after your turn that makes it quite interesting. 

hahaha. Must have been mesmerized when I wrote that.

I must have misspelled mesmerized and accidentally selected memorized in the auto-correct.