Shadow345

X-Wing is dead

1 hour ago, Stoneface said:

Never could quite understand that cheer. Almost dead? Undead? Resurrected? Dead but animated?

It makes sense for kings. 
"The king is dead (the old one). Long live the king (the new one)."
I guess people started using it for everything else mindlessly.

5 hours ago, Shadow345 said:

Enthusiasm and tournament turn outs are at an all time low.

Enough said.

Pacific Northwest is having the Evergreen Cup this coming weekend. 33 teams of 3 players each. Participating from all the stores in the Seattle/Tacoma area, and more.

1. "H8ful Eight" - Olympic Cards and Comics
2. "Micro-Adjustments" - Tacoma Games
3. "Ronin Squadron"
4. "Team RTT" - Around the Table Games
5. "Silver Squadron High Command" - Blue Sky Hobbies
6. "Silver Squadron Veterans" - Blue Sky Hobbies
7. "Silver Dragon Squadron" - Dragon Horde Games
8. "A Glimpse of Hope" - Glimpse of Wonder Games Oregon
9. "Team Skookum" - Ages 3 and Up Vancouver BC
10. "Hoth Blooded" - Games and Gizmos
11. "No Preference Squadron" - Uncles Redmond/Around the Table
12. "Team Jar-Jar" - Northwest Sportscards Game Center Tacoma
13. "Star Trek Attack Wing Tri-County Champions" - DCP Hobbies & Games Longview
14. "Scum And Villainy Podcast"
15. "Sons of Ackbar: Trap Detection Team" - Meeples Games
16. "Sons of Ackbar: High Magnitude Firepower Repellant Team" - Meeples Games
17. "Team Runner-Up" - Canada
18. "Sabine's Evergreen Cup Team" - Around the Table Games
19. "604th Legion" - Ages 3 and Up Vancouver BC
20. "I don't know. Fly Casual!" - MOB Games
21. "Fellowship of the X-wing"
22. "Silver Situation Solvers" - Blue Sky Hobbies
23. "Horton's Magnificent Stache" - Portland Game store
24. "Echo Echo Squadron Squadron" - Dark Tower Games
25. "Rainier Squadron"
26. "Fickle Flyers"
27. "Yolo Squadron" - Pending finalized payment Dark Tower Games
28. "Bad Motivators"
29. "Sea to Sky Squadron"
30. "C-List" - Games and Gizmos
31. "To Be Announced"
32. "Tatooine Lite Traders" - Northwest Sportscards Game Center
33. "Star Trek Attack Wing Tri-County Runners Up" - DCP Hobbies and Games

I know it's a troll post, but I like to plug the ECG, because it's that much fun!

Edited by Koing907

6 hours ago, Shadow345 said:

Enough said.

Honestly, tournaments are busier than ever here, and I’ve never seen this many people travel abroad for X-Wing Nationals events. X-wing is more alive than ever, and I fully expect another boost in players after the next movie.

It's dead at the wargame club I attend, killed by power creep, the dominance of obscure Scum+ Villainy ships, the length of the FAQ, games not looking like Star Wars anymore....I could go on but I've said it before so no need to labour the point. Armada is doing fine, we're about to start the Corellian Conflict.

That's just localised experience though. Nationally I think that X Wing is probably doing ok. That said, I think Legion coming out combined with general dissatisfaction with the current state of the game, will have a big effect on the player base.

Frankly, whilst I believe X Wing will always have an active playing community, I also get the impression that it's peaked in popularity and has an air of "past its best" about it.

Edited by Bolshevik65

6 hours ago, Shadow345 said:

Enough said.

I think you should have renamed the topic to Shadow345 is dead to X-wing.

Nationals and Worlds are still the largest they have ever been, seriously dead? I mean if it has died in your local store sorry but X-wing is anything but dead. Might be in a bit of a rough spot and the rapid growth has slowed down but still growing.

34 minutes ago, Marinealver said:

I think you should have renamed the topic to Shadow345 is dead to X-wing.

Nationals and Worlds are still the largest they have ever been, seriously dead? I mean if it has died in your local store sorry but X-wing is anything but dead. Might be in a bit of a rough spot and the rapid growth has slowed down but still growing.

Yeah, we are lucky enough to have two stores. It's dead in one, sometimes played in the other and dead at the wargames club I regularly attend. That's just the local scene though, it may not reflect what's happening nationally. Nevertheless I stand by what I said earlier, a drift away from X Wing to Legion seems likely to me.

Edited by Bolshevik65

27 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

You know, maybe there's some correlation between these negative posters and the game apparently being "dead" in their local area when it clearly isn't eleswhere.  Just a thought.

There's bound to be. People want to play and are disappointed that they can't. I happen to somewhat agree with my friend's criticism of the game but it's not enough to want me to stop playing.

So yeah, I am somewhat annoyed that FFG's actions have spoiled the game for me. I spent hundreds of pounds, the game isn't as cheap in the UK as in the States and that money is dead now. I can hardly be expected to be happy about it.

By the end of this weekend, I'll have been to the following events in the last month.

UK Nationals - 267 players, largest Nationals in the UK to date.
Nerf Herder 2 - 90 players, awesome unofficial charity event.
UK Team Championships - 52 teams of 3 players, for 156 players in total.

That doesn't seem like a dead game to me... :D

3 minutes ago, Jarval said:

By the end of this weekend, I'll have been to the following events in the last month.

UK Nationals - 267 players, largest Nationals in the UK to date.
Nerf Herder 2 - 90 players, awesome unofficial charity event.
UK Team Championships - 52 teams of 3 players, for 156 players in total.

That doesn't seem like a dead game to me... :D

Now you're just making me jealous @Jarval - wish I could have made Nerf Herder and the UKTC.  But three big multi-day events this year isn't that bad I guess.  Main hope for next year is to attend an event elsewhere in Europe - if not a System Open, then a National.

5 hours ago, Koing907 said:

Pacific Northwest is having the Evergreen Cup this coming weekend. 33 teams of 3 players each. Participating from all the stores in the Seattle/Tacoma area, and more.

1. "H8ful Eight" - Olympic Cards and Comics
2. "Micro-Adjustments" - Tacoma Games
3. "Ronin Squadron"
4. "Team RTT" - Around the Table Games
5. "Silver Squadron High Command" - Blue Sky Hobbies
6. "Silver Squadron Veterans" - Blue Sky Hobbies
7. "Silver Dragon Squadron" - Dragon Horde Games
8. "A Glimpse of Hope" - Glimpse of Wonder Games Oregon
9. "Team Skookum" - Ages 3 and Up Vancouver BC
10. "Hoth Blooded" - Games and Gizmos
11. "No Preference Squadron" - Uncles Redmond/Around the Table
12. "Team Jar-Jar" - Northwest Sportscards Game Center Tacoma
13. "Star Trek Attack Wing Tri-County Champions" - DCP Hobbies & Games Longview
14. "Scum And Villainy Podcast"
15. "Sons of Ackbar: Trap Detection Team" - Meeples Games
16. "Sons of Ackbar: High Magnitude Firepower Repellant Team" - Meeples Games
17. "Team Runner-Up" - Canada
18. "Sabine's Evergreen Cup Team" - Around the Table Games
19. "604th Legion" - Ages 3 and Up Vancouver BC
20. "I don't know. Fly Casual!" - MOB Games
21. "Fellowship of the X-wing"
22. "Silver Situation Solvers" - Blue Sky Hobbies
23. "Horton's Magnificent Stache" - Portland Game store
24. "Echo Echo Squadron Squadron" - Dark Tower Games
25. "Rainier Squadron"
26. "Fickle Flyers"
27. "Yolo Squadron" - Pending finalized payment Dark Tower Games
28. "Bad Motivators"
29. "Sea to Sky Squadron"
30. "C-List" - Games and Gizmos
31. "To Be Announced"
32. "Tatooine Lite Traders" - Northwest Sportscards Game Center
33. "Star Trek Attack Wing Tri-County Runners Up" - DCP Hobbies and Games

I know it's a troll post, but I like to plug the ECG, because it's that much fun!

Team tournies are the friggin best. 

7 hours ago, Sarcon said:

I’ve never seen this many people travel abroad for X-Wing Nationals events.

This could very well be a symptom of local scenes dying. If you want to play competitively and you can’t at home, you travel. Not saying that is what’s happening but nationals attendence is no metric for popularity, out of millions a couple hundred doesn’t seem like such a big number.

I do think the new movie will influx some players and casually they can have a great time but the current meta isn’t friendly at all to play the cool ships they just saw. Hopefully kylo can change that but being a noob wanting to wreck some face as Poe or the First Order just ain’t happening. Inexpeience and a meta dominated by stuff that has 0 to do with the new movies can leave a bitter taste in a new players mouth. 

Honestly not trying to be doom and gloom but try looking at it from the stand point of a player not awe-struck by how “great” the game is but as someone trying to figure out “if” the game is great. If I knew 2 years ago what I know now I’d have bought a Decimator for my personal love of the ship and been content $40 in and not looking at over $1500 in plastic and cardboard I never use.

tldr:Is Xwing dying? Not likely. Is it at a point of serious help needed to get people in to it that aren’t substantially invested? Absolutely.

IDK I think Poe is going to be more than decent if the focus relay card in the Silencer pack is decently priced

The named SF are already VERY decent 

You can wrangle some good ep 7 pilots and I don't think new players can really jump into top tier competition and expect to win anyway 

All I think the game needs is a nerf to TLT and more incentive to run arced ships, ie the vast majority of ships in the game. As is, there isn't nearly enough of a cost or damage difference to offset the literally infinetly greater coverage a turret has over an arclocked ship 

Edited by ficklegreendice

2 minutes ago, gaerithe said:

If you’re Santa Claus, we need to have a few words about Christmas 1983...

Agreed 1983 was a tough year. But I would argue 1985 and 1987 were a almost as bad. 

Top Selling Christmas Toy by Year.

1982:

best-selling-gifts-1980-now-2.jpg?qualit

1983:

best-selling-gifts-1980-now-3.jpg?qualit

1984:

best-selling-gifts-1980-now-4.jpg?qualit

1985:

best-selling-gifts-1980-now-5.jpg?qualit

1986:

best-selling-gifts-1980-now-6.jpg?qualit

1987:

best-selling-gifts-1980-now-7.jpg?qualit

9 minutes ago, LordFajubi said:

This could very well be a symptom of local scenes dying. If you want to play competitively and you can’t at home, you travel. Not saying that is what’s happening but nationals attendence is no metric for popularity, out of millions a couple hundred doesn’t seem like such a big number.

Yeah, that's definitely not what @Sarcon is talking about.  We're (in Europe, at least) seeing people visiting other countries to play X-Wing for Nationals, System Opens etc on a regular basis.  It's nothing to do with the size of the local communities (if anything, the communities these players are travelling from are thriving and they're representing them when they travel) - it's just players looking to get involved at as high a competitve level as they can as often as they can.

This year - at Nationals, Yavin and the European Championships - I've enjoyed games against players from Belgium, Holland, Italy, Portugal, Poland and as far afield as Bulgaria.  There's a fantastic sense of community in the competitive X-Wing scene in the UK and Europe as a whole, and I really want to try to get to an X-Wing event on continental Europe myself next year if possible.

4 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Yeah, that's definitely not what @Sarcon is talking about.  We're (in Europe, at least) seeing people visiting other countries to play X-Wing for Nationals, System Opens etc on a regular basis.  It's nothing to do with the size of the local communities (if anything, the communities these players are travelling from are thriving and they're representing them when they travel) - it's just players looking to get involved at as high a competitve level as they can as often as they can.

Star Wars should have a large following in Europe, Americans tend to forget the OT is staffed by European actors in almost every roll outside main bill. Shame too I think Brits are phenominal actors/esses and understand proper war in a way that frontier cowboy justice has long forgotten. I was one of the few mourning Tarkin in a New Hope as he basely ruined the Empires trump card in arrogance. The man was smarter than that, he leashed Vador for gods sake. A being second only to the Emporer. Meh I digress, the Empire should have won Yavin and rebel scum should have been no more than the terrorists they are. ?