Blail Blerg

Utterly lack the motivation to play

7 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

any recommendations?

Distance yourself from X-Wing for two weeks. Play something else, not even remotely related to Star Wars. Something to "cleanse the palate". If at the end of two weeks you're still not ready to reenter the game, try  another two week sabbatical. 

All this has been said above. Use some common sense. Dust off the old Monopoly or Scrabble game. Relax. Remember, this is only a game for fun and not work! 

I am currently going through the same issue. I came back from GenCon with a complete lack of interest in the game I once loved and couldn't get enough of. My break is at about a month and a half and I still don't have any interest in playing. I keep checking for a new FAQ that will tone down the Bombs and Biggs meta but it hasn't happened yet. This break may prove permanent if the game keeps moving in the direction it's been on for a while.

14 minutes ago, FTS Gecko said:

Sunny side up. over easy, scrambled, boiled, poached of course omelettes - eggs are just so versatile, they have a place in every breakfast build

Sunnyside up comment was with tongue firmly planted in cheek. That's how I prefer them cooked, salmonella be damned! Next to pizza they are the perfect food.

3 hours ago, Stoneface said:

This sounds great except for one small problem. I won't be able to remember what I brought! My opponent and I will both be surprised by my build!

You can of course look at your cards but you can keep them hidden from your opponent until you use them. Is it a Plasma Torpedo or a Proton Torpedo on my ship? Who is crewed on my Decimator? What EPT is Wedge Running? The fog of war version really makes engagements more risky as the players have less knowledge about what they are facing. Boost into range 1 to get a good shot on your opponent so why is he laughing while getting a TL and looking at his torpedo upgrade? The shenanigans side of it will make the strategy better as now you can really bluff and counter bluff your opponent.

15 hours ago, Blail Blerg said:

any recommendations?

I second all the recommendations for non 100/6 formats.  Last night I played a league game and we had time after to play a "for fun" re-match, but we each added 50 points to our squads.  I threw in Chewie with Baze Malbus and Anti-pursuit lasers.  With the extra ships crowding the mat, I did 2 damage with the lasers and something like 6-8 with Baze.  In the expanded format, they really triggered a lot and were more than worth the points.

The challenge for me is finding other people who want to do the other formats.  I know it can be though when everyone just wants to do standard play.

On ‎8‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 10:13 AM, Blail Blerg said:

any recommendations?

Yes, I have some recommendations.

1) Take a step back - remember why you are in the game and focus on that aspect again. For me it was the Star Wars, ships and characters well known. I lost the will to play another game for one time, when I started to consider the pilots and the ships as mere gaming pieces. Then I re-focused again to see Poe Dameron as "One **** of a pilot!" who "Can fly anything." and Boba Fett as a ruthless bounty hunter rather then an overcosted piece. This helped me but if you go back to what you initially liked the game for, it might help you.

2) Take a break - if you are not motivated to play X-Wing now, just také a break. Go play other games (be it other miniature games or board games or videogames...whatever). Return to the game when you will feel that you are looking forward to fly your ships, shooting down enemy fighters, outmaneuvering and outsmarting your opponent with the game of X-Wing. It's meant to be fun and if it's not for you, you are doing it wrong. I am sure after few weeks of not playing, you will be starving for some X-Wing experience.

It's not your list, it's you. If you are not having fun with the game, then you must consider what YOU can do to make it fun for you.

On 10/8/2017 at 10:13 AM, Blail Blerg said:

any recommendations?

Take a break from X-Wing and play something else.

I did that at the height of the fat turret dominance. I came back 6 months later (early 2016) to a much healthier meta and started enjoying the game again.

Now, I feel like it is time for another break.

12 hours ago, eagletsi111 said:

Hope that Nym Gets nerfed and auto damage gets nerfed.     Then you can play again

Some auto damage I don't mind. Seismic Bombs, for example, require smart placement. Feedback array has more drawbacks for the attacker than the target, and is very short range, but can be amazingly effective in the right hands. Autoblaster turret is a niche pickup that also has a short range, and an element of luck, as well as the sacrifice of the turret slot.

The problem with auto damage is very specific to a couple of cards, chief among them being Sabine crew. Auto damage that's rewarded through a sacrifice of your own, plus smart play to get into position is one thing. Auto damage because your wingman pooped out a mine half a map away and someone clipped the edge by accident so you're just straight adding damage with no drawbacks is a whole other story.

23 minutes ago, NakedDex said:

The problem with auto damage is very specific to a couple of cards, chief among them being Sabine crew. Auto damage that's rewarded through a sacrifice of your own, plus smart play to get into position is one thing. Auto damage because your wingman pooped out a mine half a map away and someone clipped the edge by accident so you're just straight adding damage with no drawbacks is a whole other story.

ok I like this as a reasoned deconstruction of the cause of the problems with the current bomb-meta. So let me side-track slightly, would a range limit (I'm thinking 1-2) on Sabine (crew) bring the power level down sufficiently to keep bombs viable as a tactic, but allow other archetypes to come back to prominence as well?

10 minutes ago, Surak said:

ok I like this as a reasoned deconstruction of the cause of the problems with the current bomb-meta. So let me side-track slightly, would a range limit (I'm thinking 1-2) on Sabine (crew) bring the power level down sufficiently to keep bombs viable as a tactic, but allow other archetypes to come back to prominence as well?

Personally I'd prefer that Sabine's upgrade card be revised to just contain the first sentance.  Either that or allow defence dice rolls against Bomb damage.

20 hours ago, Stoneface said:

Sunnyside up comment was with tongue firmly planted in cheek. That's how I prefer them cooked, salmonella be damned!

If you jankies would start vaccinating your **** chicken, that whole salmonella thing would not be an issue. :P

43 minutes ago, SEApocalypse said:

If you jankies would start vaccinating your **** chicken, that whole salmonella thing would not be an issue. :P

Don't know if vaccinations would prevent salmonella. Besides, they use enough antibiotics at less than therapeutic levels I don't know if the birds would survive a "weakened" strain of anything.:mellow: