DarthDude

Keep up the hype!

Ironic that the most recent preview is called "Extra Motivation" and is now 2 weeks old.  They have so many products coming out, it's no wonder the previews aren't more frequent for a particular line, but ****, it's tough waiting and playing the speculation game.

4 hours ago, Dragonshadow said:

Ironic that the most recent preview is called "Extra Motivation" and is now 2 weeks old.  They have so many products coming out, it's no wonder the previews aren't more frequent for a particular line, but ****, it's tough waiting and playing the speculation game.

That preview came out on a Friday two weeks ago. The first preview came out on a Friday two weeks before that. I was sure there was going to be another preview today.

Quite disappointed.

They want me to buy a cat in the bag :P I preordered the book and 3 sets of dice and will hopefully not regret this descision :D 

As winter is coming, it would be indeed nice to spill some more details. If developer_sam and his collagues are too busy to post anything, they might consider allowing DarthGM and other playtesters to shower us with Genesys knowledge :) 

Edited by DarthDude

2 hours ago, Dragonshadow said:

I'm beginning to feel like I rolled a despair looking for the next article.

FFG is either humble or shy or not overly convinced of their product :D 

I hope they did put tons of love into, I preordered the book and three sets of dice for some system of which I only know bits of what I already know from SW :P 

I bet DarthGM is biting his lip for not being allowed to spill some info :D 

Edited by DarthDude

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if FFG wants this product to really succeed they will need to make it accommodating to third party support.  Imagine how many fan projects could drum up hype for this project and turn into published works, each one needing at least one Genesys book per group.  And Genesys is even better than DnD3.5e because there's no setting and fluff to strip off of the core rules before use with the splatbook.

If this is a homebrew toolkit that then blocks any non-approved publishing (as in, not a big media corporation trying to get an "official role playing game of XYZ franchise" and signing a lucrative contract with FFG), then this project is going to flounder as a curiosity.

The best scenario baring actual publishing is that they actively make a point to be accommodating to non-commercial fan projects, of which there are several stellar examples for the SWrpg line.  But it's these types of projects that were the genesis of Genesys, so I'm certain these will not just be allowed but highly encouraged. I just hope that FFG will allow them to make the next step and make actual investments worth it (like payed editors, more content, paid artists) through commercial venture. Plus there's a certain satisfaction knowing an ISBN has forever immortalizing the work.  I guess you could do a Kickstarter to get it made then release it as a free to play, but I don't know if anyone would fund that.

I'll be at Pax Unplugged, which will have an Asmodee booth, and I'll ask about it and update everyone. I don't think I'll get any sort of answer, but I'll let you all know.

Until I get my "no, you can't do that" response, I'm super hyped for this system.

On 16/10/2017 at 7:42 PM, dresdinseven said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again, if FFG wants this product to really succeed they will need to make it accommodating to third party support.  Imagine how many fan projects could drum up hype for this project and turn into published works, each one needing at least one Genesys book per group.  And Genesys is even better than DnD3.5e because there's no setting and fluff to strip off of the core rules before use with the splatbook.

If this is a homebrew toolkit that then blocks any non-approved publishing (as in, not a big media corporation trying to get an "official role playing game of XYZ franchise" and signing a lucrative contract with FFG), then this project is going to flounder as a curiosity.

The best scenario baring actual publishing is that they actively make a point to be accommodating to non-commercial fan projects, of which there are several stellar examples for the SWrpg line.  But it's these types of projects that were the genesis of Genesys, so I'm certain these will not just be allowed but highly encouraged. I just hope that FFG will allow them to make the next step and make actual investments worth it (like payed editors, more content, paid artists) through commercial venture. Plus there's a certain satisfaction knowing an ISBN has forever immortalizing the work.  I guess you could do a Kickstarter to get it made then release it as a free to play, but I don't know if anyone would fund that.

I'll be at Pax Unplugged, which will have an Asmodee booth, and I'll ask about it and update everyone. I don't think I'll get any sort of answer, but I'll let you all know.

Until I get my "no, you can't do that" response, I'm super hyped for this system.

The dice are a Big part of the Genesys system. If they allow commercial releases of RPGs "powered by Genesys" they will sell more core books and dice. 

That aside, dice mechanics cannot be copyrighted, even though terms, names and the actual text explaining the mechanics can. If they don't do it I'm sure someone will release a "Genesissy" system with custom d6, d8 and d12 from Q-workshop, using different symbols and names - that will be free to be used to power new games.

The lawsuit of the company behind Bang! being copied almost exactly by a chinese themed version is just one example of game mechanics, procedures etc. not being protected.