Sign in to follow this  
Neither

Is L5R 5th a reboot?

I would call it more of an re-imagination than an actual reboot. Since some of the characters you knew from old L5R have significatly changed. Also, the old game talked about thousand years of peace, but the new setting seems to look at the history of Rokugan as thosand years of conflict. Expect the new game to be much more focused on personal drama. Sure, old L5R had plenty of that too in the beginning when the clan wars were a thing, so maybe over the years FFG might also lose the sight on that, who knows.

As a person who owns quite a lot of books for L5R RPG 4th edition and having a THREE game sessions (so sad), i welcome "reboot", since I will have fresh start and the ability to introduce single book to my gaming group. 

FFG Rebooted the story in general.  You can theoretically play this RPG in whatever setting you want.  Typically our campaigns would be set in this time period anyways, since my GM doesn't like to deal with added baggage of the AEG storyline.

Also don't get fooled by "a 1000 years of peace". between struggles between clans, shadowlands incursions, gozoku manipulation, gaijin invasion and unicorn return, and two rise of Iuchiban, these 1000 years were far from peaceful. It's just a Rokugani way of saying ironically that the world was peaceful compared to the First War against Fu Leng. 

It's like the Akodo wishing you to live interesting times. It's an Akodo curse wishing your life to be a life of war.