Sign in to follow this  
xanderf

ATTN: FFG, ya got Thrawn wrong

While it's still printing, you should totally fix this.

Your card art:

swm29-grand-admiral-thrawn.png

...is using the old, now 'wrong', EU version of Thrawn without irises and pupils in his eyes.

New ('canon') Thrawn has irises and pupils:

thrawn-zahn-tall-1536x864-145742485579.j

%7B290C9BBB-5D3B-4081-9369-FE17DF7E4771%

Pls to fix, kthx!

1 minute ago, Drasnighta said:

Man, I’d be careful what you say, since, you know, the Artist hangs around here...

Not saying to replace the art, just...well...tweak it.  Adding pupils and irises should be easy enough to do, no?

Edited by xanderf

I generally like EU art a bit more than Rebels art (which to it's credit is designed for kids, not 30+ year old people playing with toy ships) so I'm good with it. having said that I also like the book covers art so /shrug. What I'm saying is please don't make him look like the rebels cartoon :)

8 minutes ago, xanderf said:

Not saying to replace the art, just...well...tweak it.  Adding pupils and irises should be easy enough to do, no?

Already a sore spot.

they changed the art he had originally done without notice, apparently 

1 minute ago, Drasnighta said:

Already a sore spot.

they changed the art he had originally done without notice, apparently 

Heh, I know how that goes.  I've done game art for ADB (Star Fleet Battles, etc).  It can definitely be frustrating to get something to the point you are happy with it, and then see it in print with inexplicable changes to it.

Still, this one isn't a taste/style thing so much as how the character was implemented has changed since the EU version.

Except it ignores the fact that its not the EU version depicted.  

Look at the Rank Bars on the Tunic.  Those are the "new" Canon Metal bars, not the Tassled flashings of the EU version.\

In the very least, his eyes glow.  and under glowing, it could be hard to see Iris' and Pupils.

Edited by Drasnighta

3 minutes ago, Drasnighta said:

Except it ignores the fact that its not the EU version depicted.  

Look at the Rank Bars on the Tunic.  Those are the "new" Canon Metal bars, not the Tassled flashings of the EU version.\

In the very least, his eyes glow.  and under glowing, it could be hard to see Iris' and Pupils.

Huh, digging around a bit, it seems this card are is sort of a heavily-touched-up version of one of Wraith's other submissions?

The 'original' (definitely more EU with the tassles and pronounced widow's peak):

imperial_entanglements_box_art_by_wraith

...so FFG must have taken that, airbrushed out the hairline and changed the shoulder designs, but then didn't change the eyes or lack of rank cylinders?

Odd they would do that.  Especially when, digging around on Deviantart, it seems Wraith has done a newer Thrawn that would be AMAZING...

thrawn_by_wraithdt-db5ecu5.jpg

I mean...wow!

Pay for it once, use it multiple times.

In the end though, its just art.

There are far more glaring things out there to worry about, even in the art way...  Especially when it is easily glossed over with "they're glowing since you've got a lower point of view and they are thus dark in the sockets shadow"

Turbolaser Reroute Circuits depicting an Imperial Raider, for example?  ;)

Edited by Drasnighta

27 minutes ago, Snipafist said:

I think I speak for most of the forum when I say this is probably my favorite version of Thrawn, but your mileage may vary.

... ;)
(seriously, it's a joke)

I was seriously expecting some pinup fanart of Thrawn in a gold banana hammock, lounging on the beach - double points if Hera or Leia were ogling him from a distance. I wasn't going to question where and why you found it, just laugh uproariously at the incongruity of it all.

And then I was amused, but disappointed at the same time, after clicking on your link.

I feel like this is a thing that should exist. It's making me laugh just thinking about the little touches - maybe there's a Japanese-style fried noodle stand nearby that the Rebels are running covertly while the Imps frolic on the beach, maybe Vader is curled up in the shade of a big umbrella with a drink in his hand... I somehow see Emperor Palpatine and Tarkin frolicking in the surf, laughing as they bounce a ball between each other...

3 hours ago, iamfanboy said:

I was seriously expecting some pinup fanart of Thrawn in a gold banana hammock, lounging on the beach - double points if Hera or Leia were ogling him from a distance. I wasn't going to question where and why you found it, just laugh uproariously at the incongruity of it all.

And then I was amused, but disappointed at the same time, after clicking on your link.

I feel like this is a thing that should exist. It's making me laugh just thinking about the little touches - maybe there's a Japanese-style fried noodle stand nearby that the Rebels are running covertly while the Imps frolic on the beach, maybe Vader is curled up in the shade of a big umbrella with a drink in his hand... I somehow see Emperor Palpatine and Tarkin frolicking in the surf, laughing as they bounce a ball between each other...

Why does this not exist?

@Wraithdt please for the love of the Emperor, create and sell us a full size Imperial beach party poster! I am confident it will sell. Get cracking man!

18 minutes ago, geek19 said:

dignity.jpg.019316df44d2f6a10f6f3be8690a800f.jpg

Don't forget his goofy mustache! Here's my version.

Side note, that 10.2 KB limit is crippling for my horrid MSPaint skills

"I was in the Star Wars extended universe before it was cool and sold out. Anyways, did you hear what's going on at Pitchfork this weekend? I'm gonna be there on my unicycle. Of course I'm bringing the Pabst Blue Ribbons!"

14 hours ago, geek19 said:

dignity.jpg.019316df44d2f6a10f6f3be8690a800f.jpg

Don't forget his goofy mustache! Here's my version.

Side note, that 10.2 KB limit is crippling for my horrid MSPaint skills

That definitely matches with Rebels' intended audience.

The card looks fantastic.

3 hours ago, Knightcrawler said:

That definitely matches with Rebels' intended audience.

The card looks fantastic.

Yes, because Star Wars has always been about that adult audience, being such a realistic depiction of how warfare and realpolitik would combine in the the far future on an intergalactic scale.

Wait, no, opposite of that. :P It's been about kids and for kids (of all ages) for as long as it's been around, and on any realistic (ie, not fanboy-weighted scale) Star Wars Rebels is easily in the top 25% of any kind of Star Wars fiction extant. Maybe not the top 10%, but top 25%? Sure.

I mean, that includes Traviss' relentless fellating of the Mandalorians, the Ewok 'movies', "The Stockholming of Princess Leia", Jar Jar Binks, the utter and absolute misunderstanding of everything that Star Wars IS by making Sheev Palpatine the 'good guy' who saw the Vong coming, Skippy the Droid Jedi killing himself to make sure R2-D2 achieved his destiny, Jar Jar Binks, Luke getting tricked by the Dark Side more times than a Twi'lek dancer flashes her nips, "I hate sand" being a penultimate romantic line, Jar Jar Binks, the Sun Crusher, wyrwolves, and Jar Jar Binks, so...

Yeah. Not necessarily a high bar to cross.

But I do enjoy Rebels.

Edited by iamfanboy

20 minutes ago, Megatronrex said:

I loved that movie but it was definitely not kid appropriate.

I still remember the opening scroll:

It is a dark time for those who understand STAR WARS.
The Fangirl TRAVISS who cannot help but fall to her knees
whenever one of those T-helmets come into her view
has now involved JAINA SOLO with her dread schemes,
as BUBBA FEETS is somehow qualified to show a Skywalker
something other than a death gurgle as he falls into a Sarlacc.

Meantime, the self-harming YUUZHAN VONG,
whose emo powers are so strong the FORCE
refuses to touch them out of sheer disgust,
have succeeded in making a story about good and evil
somehow about "evil and less evil, so the Empire is now
buddy-buddy with the New Republic, right?"