Sign in to follow this  
BlindSamurai13

New info about Organize Play, Winter Court and Kotei Serise

As I said during the Banzai chant discussion - I don't really care that its gone.  I think the argument against it was kinda stupid, but that doesn't mean a little change is a bad thing.  As with the RPG changing from d10 to custom dice, I think it is a great way to honor the traditions while simultaneously forging a new path.  It is important that FFG makes this their own brand - because what L5R was didn't work...  It needed changes.

Since they kept the chant, and wrote a great short piece for it, I'm all on board.  Of course, those players who though "I just don't like loud noises" will still have to shuffle off for a moment lol.

The role card situation is interesting. I'll have to read everything again and let it stew in my head. So clans can get the option of having two role cards, and the clan that will have the least desired role card will have first pick of a 2nd role for their clan. Seems like a decent way to help those who feel they are getting screwed by having weak role cards "forced" on them.

7 minutes ago, Shu2jack said:

The role card situation is interesting. I'll have to read everything again and let it stew in my head. So clans can get the option of having two role cards, and the clan that will have the least desired role card will have first pick of a 2nd role for their clan. Seems like a decent way to help those who feel they are getting screwed by having weak role cards "forced" on them.

The key is if your clan votes right you will have the choice between a keeper and a seeker when building your deck.  That way those keeper only cards or seeker only cards can still be used.

In all seriousness, I honestly think this change is MORE culturally insensitive than keeping things the way they were. Changing it ads credence to the idea that it is tied strictly to every negative aspect of Japanese history when in fact it is just a general cheers that is still used all the time to this very day. The chant is born of love of the culture, not a mockery of it nor a dismissal of negative canotations.

8 minutes ago, C2K said:

They might errata "Banzai!" to be instead referred to as "Here I come!" or "Not In The Face!"

Go for the jugular, just rename it "Social Justice!"

ADD: For being a bunch of white people, you'd think they could have spelled "privilege" right in the article. :P

(I am absolutely not serious, in case of any doubts.)

Edited by Zesu Shadaban

1 hour ago, C2K said:

I think I will protest this change to the chant by taking a knee while they try to sell this new chant at the tournaments. 

Kneeling is too strongly associated with the BLM right now so people will think you're protesting systemic inequality in policing procedures.

7 minutes ago, Kakita Shiro said:

Kneeling is too strongly associated with the BLM right now so people will think you're protesting systemic inequality in policing procedures.

How about dead silence, followed by a "spontaneous" Utz! Banzai!

I've already had one person say the proposed new chant makes them more uncomfortable than the old one, as it reads to them like something from a suspect political rally...

4 minutes ago, dysartes said:

How about dead silence, followed by a "spontaneous" Utz! Banzai!

I've already had one person say the proposed new chant makes them more uncomfortable than the old one, as it reads to them like something from a suspect political rally...

Silence is good.

1 hour ago, Shu2jack said:

Where was this?  I must have missed it.

Odd since the Banzai shout is still used in Japan.  In 2016 Emperor Akihito recieved a Banzai salute while at a ceremony. And just last week, Japanese Lawmakers gave a banzai cheer to Prime Minister Abe as he dissolved lower parliament to hasten new elections.

I will still be using Banzai!

America isn't Japan, and neither is Rokugan.

The people for whom Banzai was uncomfortable or offensive are the people whose parents or grandparents suffered under Japanese occupation.

Evoking traumatic moments in history is not the greatest way to build a welcoming and inclusive community. I'm glad FFG is trying to be sensitive to the issue.

Realistically, if they  were going to get bent about the banzaii chant they should have done away with chanting altogether.  The new one is going to be filled with people shouting banzaii anyway, people sarcastically screaming responses at the top of their lungs, and is by and large just going to be a ***********.  Just do away with the chanting FF.  If the OG chant isn't good enough for you you're not going to be able to astroturf enthusiasm for some bland new one.

1 minute ago, McDermott said:

Realistically, if they  were going to get bent about the banzaii chant they should have done away with chanting altogether.  The new one is going to be filled with people shouting banzaii anyway, people sarcastically screaming responses at the top of their lungs, and is by and large just going to be a ***********.  Just do away with the chanting FF.  If the OG chant isn't good enough for you you're not going to be able to astroturf enthusiasm for some bland new one.

If that's the way it goes, that'd be too bad.

"FFG: We want to try a version of this that's more inclusive, and sheds some negative associations! Here's a great way to express excitement for the game everyone can get behind!"

"Some Players: Sounds good! I'm enthusiastic for L5R! FFG chant!"

"Other Players: We prefer to be inconsiderate to the feelings of others! Utz! Banzai!"