Sign in to follow this  
SideshowLucifer

Card Limit?

I looked all over and cant seem to find anything that prevents you from including more than one copy of even a clan champion in your deck, much less having more than one copy in play. This is weird since FFG usually prevents having more than one in play at least. Am I missing something? What is the little sun symbol next to the title on some cards for?

Up to 3 copies by name of anyone card in your deck.  You can only have one copy of a unique card (With the little circle symbol) out at any one time.  During your Dynasty phase, you can spend an action to discard a copy in your hand or dynasty to add one fate to one in play.

Check Unique, Page 17 of the Rules Reference, 

Deck Building, Page 5 of Rules Reference

Page 18 of the Learn to Play for deck building

Great Answer!    I love the fact you can do this.....
As a player action during the dynasty phase, a player may
discard a copy (by title) of a unique character from his or her
hand or provinces to place 1 fate on an in-play copy of that
unique character he or she controls.

1 hour ago, Sixter said:

I really like the treatment of uniques in L5R, there seem to be a lot of clever things in the design.

One of the things that bothered me in the CCG was the added variance owing to the 1x deck limit of uniques. Most CCGs nowadays let you include a playset of that badass unique, and the only drawback is you can't play your second copy of Jack Bauer until something happens to the first one. But FFG goes the extra mile by letting you do something with the copy you just drew. In CoC it was an easy resource choice. In Thrones you can play a duplicate. In L5R you can add fate. Love that.

40 minutes ago, Togashi Bey said:

So that means you could apply fate to Doomed Shugenja with this?

No. The doomed shugenja is not unique, this ability to discard a copy to add fate to the character applies to unique characters only. That said, the Doomed Shugenja is only barred from adding fate when brought into play from dynasty. Anything else that adds fate to a character will work fine on her.