Sign in to follow this  
Trumpet

Core ,Twin Shadows what next?

Hello ,

i have the core and twin shadows and I'm thinking of what to get next,

hoth would be the obvious choice if I go in order but I'm drawn to Jabba's Realm due to the setting that's not to say the setting in hoth puts me off I think Empire is the best of the original trilogy so what's the strengths and weaknesses of both to help with my decision.

thanks 

I really enjoy the theme (and new map tiles) of Hoth and the mission design is pretty varied and interesting.  One of the main downsides is the design of the threat missions very strongly encourages picking them at every opportunity which limits the ability to play normal side missions.  On the plus side, the threat missions are pretty thematic and fit well within the overall story of the campaign. 

Jabba's Realm also has some pretty good mission design and gives even greater control over the mission flow than any previously released campaigns.  However, most of the terse descriptions about the upcoming missions makes that choice pretty arbitrary since there isn't a lot of information provided.  The maps are also somewhat similar looking to the core so that is somewhat underwhelming.

I think I'm in the minority in saying Return to Hoth is currently my favorite campaign but I've only played JR once and as one of the Rebels so maybe after I play it through again as the Imperial player I will enjoy it more.

33 minutes ago, machfalcon said:

I think I'm in the minority in saying Return to Hoth is currently my favorite campaign but I've only played JR once and as one of the Rebels so maybe after I play it through again as the Imperial player I will enjoy it more.

Replayability issues aside, Hoth was also my favorite. JR had some great thematic moments but the balance issues were a major put off.

3 minutes ago, Deadwolf said:

Replayability issues aside, Hoth was also my favorite. JR had some great thematic moments but the balance issues were a major put off.

What I liked about RtH was it's departure from the round time limit type of mission from the Core set.  Many missions did not have any, while some did have but affecting more the Imperials.  As a rebel, you feel a little less under stress with more time to pew-pew the imperials instead of running objectives while the imperials pew-pew at you ;) 

Just now, IanSolo_FFG said:

What I liked about RtH was it's departure from the round time limit type of mission from the Core set.  Many missions did not have any, while some did have but affecting more the Imperials.  As a rebel, you feel a little less under stress with more time to pew-pew the imperials instead of running objectives while the imperials pew-pew at you ;) 

I've heard mixed reactions on this.  It definitely feels a little less constraining, but it's also pretty easy for the Rebels to abuse this, too.

Though, with just a few exceptions, I've found that there are usually mechanics that discourage the "move slow and heal" strategy, such as consistently increasing threat each round.

12 minutes ago, subtrendy2 said:

I've heard mixed reactions on this.  It definitely feels a little less constraining, but it's also pretty easy for the Rebels to abuse this, too.

Though, with just a few exceptions, I've found that there are usually mechanics that discourage the "move slow and heal" strategy, such as consistently increasing threat each round.

It was refreshing and a welcome addition to my group.  As rebels, they tended to move slowly during the Twin Shadows mini-campaign, trying to clear off areas before moving on and as a result it cost them the first 3 missions (ran out of time).  They won the final mission in part because I house ruled Vader in with lots of upgrades to push them toward their objectives as they did not want to fight the Sith Lord (and now they fear the day they will encounter Vader again ... so win-win situation mouhahaha :) )

Return to Hoth spoiler

They won the the Battle of Hoth in the 9th round I think with 3 wounded heroes out of 4 (MHD, Verena, Shyla and Fenn).  I also DM'ed a few things here and there that might have affected the outcome, so take all this with a grain of salt.  But the no round limit definitely did serve them despite the fact the mission could have gone either way so it was fun!  

Edited by IanSolo_FFG